Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Balsamic vinager

TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

Balsamic ven.. is made from wine right? if so… i cant have it :( so does anyone know of a good replacement?

Comments

• Is it because wine is alcoholic, it that why you’re worried? I don’t know if balsamic vinegar is raw, but it doesn’t have alcohol. The alcohol is converted into acetic acid, which is what makes it vinegar. It may have trace amounts, but nothing to worry about, unless you’re drinking glasses of it or something! ;D

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Blackberries, what a great idea. Thanks evergreen.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sweet! I love it how we work together – and I’ll have blackberries growing later this summer…Mmmmmm!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Balsamic vinegar isn’t technically raw. Much like agave, I see it in raw recipes quite a bit in moderation. It is really up to you if you want to use this, but I haven’t heard of any truly raw balsamic vinegars. I see a balsamic for sale as raw (here), but I have a hard time believing it is as balsamic is made by boiling grapes. I’d love to be proven wrong, though!

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi ..,i just called the number from the link kandace posted,and they said the bariani balsamic is raw,not heated!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

from wikipedia:

“Balsamic vinegar is manufactured from the juice of white grapes (typically, trebbiano grapes) boiled down to approximately 50% of its original volume to create a concentrated must, which is then fermented with a slow aging process which concentrates the flavours”

how would they be able to make a thick syrup without heat? that doens’t make sense to me. maybe they didn’t understand the question, or just wanted to get off the phone.

hi pianissima,i thought the same thing,but whoever i spoke to took my number,checked with someone,and called me back. im not sure if we will ever know for sure though!...Tzefira,i dont know of a good substitute,however,since i guess that was your concern, do you have a grape allergy?

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

I dont mind that it’s not raw.. i dont use it much, but finding out it’s made from grapes presents a problem for me. Does anyone know of a good substitute?

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Tzefira, I haven’t done this, but plan to. I was thinking a few TBS of ACV with a soaked date whirled in. Balsamic has that sour/sweet combo flavor so it might work. I’ll let you know if I try it.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I was thinking strawberries & ACV, the date sounds good. I may start experimenting…

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

Mmm.. good ideas! keep me posted :)

hi again!...this may work for you,for vinegar ,mix equal parts blackberry juice(i had 1/3 cup) and braggs apple cider vinegar(if berries arent very sweet,add a spoonful of sweetner of choice )...looks and tastes pretty close:) for thicker,sweeter,balsamic glaze substitute:mix equal parts blackberry juice,ACV,and date syrup or agave in bullet or blender,strain.store in squeeze bottle in fridge. you may have to adjust measurements to get a good drizzle.blackberry juice can be made in your juicer,or by pressing berries through a fine mesh strainer,or use a nut-milk bag or paint strainer.