Cacao powder or nibs?

Which one do you use most regularly? Can I buy the nibs and grind them?

Comments

• I find powder to be the most useful form in most recipes but I prefer to grind the nibs myself in a small “coffee” grinder. It seems to be fresher that way.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

sometimes i sprinkle some cacao nibs and goji berries on the top of my smoothies and this tastes amazing! but i definitely use the powder more.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

If you put 1/2 cup carob or mesquite flour in the grinder along with 1/2 cup cacao nibs and then grind, you will get a lovely fine chocolate powder.

• mapmap

i wonder if it would be cheaper to grind cacao beans into flour yourself or just buy the powder? it would make sense it would but there is no way to grind a whole amount of beans to compare to a big jar

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I don’t know the price difference, but I definitely use the powder more. Just a convenience thing here, no time to grind first and I use it everyday. My husband doesn’t go for the nibs, either.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i get the nibs because they are so much cheaper. they blend easily in the blentec (seconds really). i also bulk ordered them online and that is a LOT cheaper.