Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I need buckwheat sprout help NOW!

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I need to know if I screwed them up or not. I don’t want to make our family sick by eating bad buckwheat sprouts. First, I soaked the groats over night. I forgot about them. Then, I rinsed them a few times, but today I noticed that the bottom of my colander was touching some of the water that was draining from the colander. They kinda had a weird smell to them, but I’ve never sprouted them this long. They have almost an inch long sprout. My husband doesn’t think I should eat them, but they don’t seem to have mold growing on them. So, what would they smell like if they were bad, or look like? Man, I sprouted a HUGE bowl of them too. :-( I think they do have a slightly fermented smell to them. help

Comments

• Maybe too late to reply now but it sounds like its fermented. Its not really forgiving if it hasn’t been rinsed enough. Its slimy at first and needs lots of rinses. We sprouted lots of buckwheat each week and fill a 9 tray excalibur with sprouts. Makes great granola. You can try to rinse it till you get clear water and then see if it still smells, you might be able to save it that way.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

you should really only soak them for 6 hours. if they smell weird, that is nature’s way of telling you to stay away! that is always my policy. my buckwheat has never smelled weird.

btw, we have some kind of raw buckwheat shortage around here. anyone else having trouble finding it?

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

6 hours? I heard it takes only 30 minutes with buckwheat. Usually enough for me…

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I soak them for 20 minutes and then start the sprouting process, rinsing twice a day. They sprout really quickly within a couple of days, if they don’t they will go off. If they’re just going off and not too sour smelling, you can dehydrate them as rawnutrition said and store for making flour or granola.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi Sarah

I’ve had this happen. Definitely don’t eat them if they smell bad.

Don’t know what you’re using them for, but for lots of things all you need to do is soak the buckwheat to soften it, ie not necessary to sprout.

You can use soaked buckwheat to make ‘porridge’ (add bananas, dates, apple etc and process), or you can dry the soaked buckwheat (an hour in the dehydrator) to make it crunchy for breakfasts, adding to desserts for crunchy sauces/toppings etc.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

i soak them for 20 minutes too. Then i use the “sprinkle” method.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Gabriel Cousens wrote in one of his books that you should only soak buckwheat for 15 minutes, or else it will ferment. I used to soak them for 6 hours, too, but the sliminess always bothered me, so I was stirring it up and rinsing it a lot when I first put it in to soak – that must be why it never fermented. I did have some go bad a couple of times when I forgot to rinse :( Also, when I do rinse it, I sort of toss the colander or tray to rotate the sprouts and then rinse again.

• Soak time is really not an issue. We soak it 8 hours (overnight) every time we sprout some (which is weekly). The key is in many rinses during the first day of sprouting to eliminate the slimy aspect. Once it rinses clean we rinse only twice a day till ready.

bitt: Buckwheat shortage is possible. Here in Canada the price has gone up. Usually a sign of a low supply and a high demand.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Yeah, i do this all the time. Soak buckwheat groats for 8 hours, then drain and rinse very well (until water runs clear) every 1/2 hour for 3-4 hours. Then, you can rinse every 6 hours for the next 24 hours. DO NOT let them sprout any longer- they

• jsorensens2jsorensens2 Raw Jr. Superstar

I agree with the short soak time (30 minutes) and it only takes buckwheat 24 hours to sprout little 1/8” tails. The key is that when you rinse and drain twice a day, do it very thoroughly – you can’t overdo it, but you can underdo it.

My method: For each 1 cup of dry raw buckwheat groats use a large bowl since they expand. Rinse well in a bowl, drain, then fill up for soaking for 30 minutes. Drain the soak water off and rinse really well, over and over until you don’t feel slime. Allow to drain for 1/2 a day by putting a piece of cheesecloth over the top of your large bowl, then invert a cooling rack on top of the cheesecloth covered bowl (the kind you use to cool cookies on). Flip the whole thing over and let it sit on your counter for half a day. Rinse & drain again (rinse, rinse, rinse!!) and then do the bowl/cheesecloth/rack thing again. My sprouts are ready at the end of 24 hours. Then dehydrate.

The key is to make sure to rinse all the slime off of them each time you rinse!! Air circulation under the rack and allowing them to spread out a bit in a large bowl seems to keep things happy as the sprouting is going on.

I constantly have granola on hand, so I do this often and with success each time. Good luck!