Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Blender vs. Food Processor (vs. Mandoline)

Hi everyone! So my food processor (cheap Black & Decker) finally crapped out on me. I was thinking about buying a new one, but it occurred to me that maybe my money is better spent toward a nice blender. Right now I have a cheap (Hamilton Beach) blender which is sufficient, but probably won’t last much longer (there’s a burning smell when I use it, gross!). I realized I mostly used my food processor to pick up the slack for what my blender can’t to (e.g., grind nuts); I don’t really use it to chop things very often. So here is my question: do you think it is better to have a high-quality blender INSTEAD OF a food processor? Or is it better to have medium quality of both? If no food processor, can a mandoline do similar things? Any recommendations would be appreciated! I’m a student, so I’d really hate to waste my money! :-) Thanks!

Comments

• BTW, I should clarify: when I say “high-quality blender,” I don’t mean a VitaMix. I’d love one, but I just can’t afford it right now. I’m thinking about the KitchenAid ProLine blender, but if anyone has any brand suggestions, I’d appreciate that, too!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Waring.. and Oster. Someone here has a website that mentions they used the Oster 500 w before getting the VitaMix. http://www.perfectsmoothie.com/smoothie-blenders/

And to answer your question. I think the high speed blender can be used as a food processor only if it has variable speed (VitaMix). I used it to make a nut cheese sauce. Small amount and it worked great. But, I use my blender mostly for blending. If you get the more affordable Oster, you probably can get a small food processor too. You can start small… and later upgrade… like when you graduate! :o) If you can, try to invest in one of the appliances and skimp on the other. Probably invest in the cheaper one… the food processor and get a Magic Bullet blender (usually for small things) or the Oster.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i guess it depends on what you eat. for me the blender is essential. i am realizing i use it for more and more things that i used to use the food processor for. the food processor CANT do wet things without making a big mess. i have a blentec which is much cheaper than the vitamix. you can get a refurbished one on ebay for much cheaper. i have never used the magic bullet but if it is just you then that might be enough.

• Have you ever heard of the Ultimate Chopper? It is awesome!!! I don’t know how I lived without it! I use it everyday!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Chopper

http://www.rkdm.com/ultimatechopper/

• Thanks for the responses guys! (Sorry I was delayed in getting back…for some reason it didn’t inform me of the replies.)

I’ve been drinking tons of smoothies (about 60% of my diet, I’d say), so I think that once my blender dies, I’ll upgrade to the best one I can afford. Maybe a used Blendtec or Vitamix! If it seems like I still need a food processor, THEN I’ll replace it. :-)

The Ultimate Chopper sounds awesome, deegarry! I like how cute and small it is, which is great for my tiny kitchen. Maybe that will be my food processor replacement. ;-)

You guys are a great help!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have never owned a food processor and honestly I don’t feel like I need one. My blender does it all – I have a BlendTec. But even before when I had a 20$ Oster I didn’t have the food processor and didn’t miss it.

For grinding nuts, a coffee grinder works great! Beats burning out your blender on nuts (which I have done a few times already!)

I actually jut bought a hand held mandoline. I will use it specifically for slicing long things thin and straight. Otherwise, my sprilooi works great for pasta.

• Queenfluff… I’m with you. I have a cheap blender. At first I thought I needed a food processor but honestly I don’t. I’ve been eating raw food for several months now and it does the trick for me. I hate not having a dehydrator though.. there are so many more recipes that I would like to try.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

deegarry!! we have the ultimate chopper!! it’s awesome! it’s actually my mom’s though, so I never get to use it.

• @Emeraldgem and Queenfluff: Yeah, I’m kind of thinking I don’t really need a food processor. I think I might give it a couple months without it and see how it goes. :-) I haven’t been using it for chopping or any other fancy things – just for pureeing, and maybe my blender can handle it. We’ll find out!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Waring blenders are bad. I use the vitamix blender instead of food processor, but i’d get a cuisinart 7 cup food processor – it’s the BEST.