Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

please tell me, really: is raw fat less hard on your body that other fats?

2»

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i eat the same amount of fat as bitt – 1/2 nuts+1avo+2Tbsp raw oil OR 1 cup nuts+1 Tbsp raw oil most days of the week. about 600 calories come from nuts or avo or oil each day, out of my 1600 to 2,000 calories. i’m 23, 5’5”, 133lbs, i bike 2-4 miles a day, i haven’t gained any weight. i lost 4 pounds in fact. I personally think that new raw foodists shouldn’t worry too much about fat for the first couple years raw. Just do what’s intuitively right for you!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Just thought I’d report: For breakfast I ate several banana-nut pancakes smeared with cashew/coconut “kream” and drowned in strawberry syrup. (The kream & syrup were from Ani Phyo’s “strawbery parfait” recipe, found on her website. It was about 2,400 calories and about 2/3 of those calories were from fat (cashews, Brazil nuts, coconut oil). It was super yummy, I feel good, and I’m glad to have good fuel in my body that tasted delicious getting in! A few days ago, I wasn’t hungry in the morning and just drank water until about 1:30 in the afternoon, and I ended up eating later at night. I’m not telling anyone else what or how to eat, just saying take responsibility for your own health and let your body/intuition guide you! If I was afraid to eat too much fat, or too much fruit, or too much of whatever, or if I tried to force myself to eat things/amounts that didn’t appeal to me, just because someone said I should, my health never would have improved like it has, and it just keeps getting better :)

• Wow, angie, I really thought you were kidding about all that fat! I love fat, but I am trying not to go hog wild with it as I transition, but I am kind of loosening up on my self and high fat foods tend to make me desire to stay raw more. That was kind of my gist with the “feed the monster” topic. It seems like good fat keeps me raw and that is the most important factor in trasition! Also, since i love fat, and ate so much of it before, then now eating good fat is kind of helping my body keep an equalibrium. I think that is really the key. If a person is transitioning from a high fat SAD diet, they may need more fats especially at first. (At first being the first 1 – 3 yrs.) Then thier own body can guide them to a lower fat ratio as they progress depending on thier life style. What do you think?

Now that I have learned from the nice people at this site how to choose good avocados, I am going avocado wild. It tastes like butter! My son, jj who used to eat butter… loves them too!

I have been high raw for exactly 3 years yesterday! Yeah, for me, healthy fats are a main food. I hardly ate greens until this February – before that I maybe ate the equivalent of one bunch of greens per week, and now I eat one to five bunches per day, depending on the day. I couldn’t afford enough calories if I ate a lot of greens before, so this is great – I can eat a big breakfast and feel satisfied for 3 hours with water, then eat a big salad (which today will probably have a huge avocado in it, 1/4 cup of oil in the dressing, & 1/4 cup or so of hemp seeds on top). Dinner tonight might be four pounds of fruit, and then another salad or something else with nuts later on… I just know that my body knows what it needs, and sometimes it needs a lot of fat, other times it needs vitamin B5 and whatever else is in cauliflower, and I eat cauliflower several times a week. Anyone can say what works for them, and they can say what research has shown, and I can learn. I just do the things that work for my body so it can work & be happy – it is more of a priority for me to feed my monster than someone else’s ego, or marketing plan, or whatever is making them tell me what to eat or not eat :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have to say too much fat if you are not used to it can make you kinda sick. i had a “flourless cake” at a raw restaurant yesterday which was SO good. i even split half of it with DH. we shoulda saved most of it because man did i get a bellyache! i am green smoothie cleansing today to recover. but, all the more reason to include some fat in your diet so your body does not go too berserk when you want to indulge. man angie that pancake breakfast sounds soooo delicious.

I can’t eat like that every morning, but YEAH! It was good today – and it lasted me 6 hours! (The longest I usually go is 2 or 3 hours before I’m starving again:)

• yeah the pancakes sound DELICIOUS!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

make sure you don’t get too much omega 6 fat. avocado, nuts, and most oils besides flax and hemp are all omega 6. you need to balance these fats out with omega 3, found in hemp and flax oil. you can definitely have too much fat, raw or cooked. hell, you can have too many cucumbers if you try!