Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Uncookbook advice

Hi all, I am looking to get a new raw book and am debating between Fresh, Rawvolution, Rawsome, and living on live foods… I have Living Cusine, Raw, Raw: the Uncookbook, Ani’s raw food kitchen, everyday raw…

I am looking for something with recipes that are not TOO costly or ingredient intensive but you can count on to be delicious and flavorful. Help!!!

Comments

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Of all my uncookbooks, I have a favorite little book that is full of quick and easy recipes. “Alive in 5”. I highly recommend it!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Just by coincidence I received Fresh and Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney today. Fresh looks very user friendly and inexpensive, nothing too exotic, just haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Everyday Raw looks heavenly, very gourmet but easier than Raw Food Real World. I glanced at Raw in the bookstore and it didn’t seem like everyday easy. Rawvolution was my first uncookbook and I love the onion bread, tabouli and hummus, but it’s very heavy on the young coconuts which I can’t find around here which eliminates a lot of the recipes. There’s also a lot of preparation time unless you premake the bread and burgers.

• Thanks, i think I will check out fresh for sure… maybe get the other ones in a bit

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I like Rawvolution a lot.

• One of my favorites is The Raw Food Gourmet by Gabrielle Chavez.Of all my cookbooks(and I have everything mentioned above and more) Hers is very simple,with great tasting recipes.Lots of great advice, no exotic ingredients and a lot of simple preparations. The “disappearing kale” is simple and delicious.She also has a recipe for banana bread which is fantastic. I highly reccomend this one!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I like Rawvoution as well. However, I use all the recipes as a guide in that book; the salt and sugar in those recipes are a bit overpowering for my taste.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Recently, any time I taste a raw dish and like it, at any raw dinners, it is one of Alissa Cohen’s recipes! I haven’t used her book much for lack of photos, I like to see a photo beside the recipe every single time. I do need to start though because they all seem to be delicious.

I love Rawvolution, everything I’ve made I like, but ditto on what Kandace says, go lightly on the garlic/salt/strong flavorings and build it up to what you like, same with Alissa Cohen’s.

I just bought Everyday Raw and it is certainly eye candy! Recipes are not as complex as his Raw Food Real World cookbook (which every recipe I’ve tried in there, even though they take more time to prepare, they are all good), and since I love that cookbook, I am assuming this one will be delicious also. Have you tried your local library to try some out first?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Get Alissa’s book – it has LOTS of recipes and most of them are pretty easy to make with not a ton of ingredients. Plus unlike many recipe books it has Alissa’s story and lots of tips on how to go raw day by day and other things you need to know – so it is like a raw food book plus.

I have only a few raw cookbooks – Alissa’s, The Complete Book of Raw food, and How We All Went Raw.

My bf has the Rawsome book – I have looked at it and wasn’t that impressed. We also have Bryan Au’s Raw in Ten Minutes – I like some of the recipes in there – it is like a “cooked things make raw book”. I heard Rawvolution is a good book though but I don’t have that one.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Fresh i love! cheap, easy, quick, etc. But it doesn’t have as many entrees as i wanted… more desserts, soups, salads, drinks, smoothies, etc. But it’s great!

• i love rawvolution, though i do cut down on the salt for most of the recipes. the soups are great though! i just ordered i am grateful and have heard great things about it, so i’m really looking forward to receiving that. i have fresh, but i don’t love it. no pictures and the recipes just don’t seem like things that would taste good to me. i haven’t made anything from the book yet.

i have raw food real world, and am going to get everyday raw, though i haven’t made a ton from RFRW but everything just looks so good.

amysue: i replace most of the coconut water in rawvolution with water and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. who has the time to crack open all those coconuts?!?

• Joyce, first off, I love all of your different pictures you have been posting. The kitties are adorable. We have two and I need to get them posted here for all to see!. As for the recipes, she really doesnt have a lot of dinner type recipes in the book, but I did make the hummus and then turned it into falafel. I had a strange reaction to the sprouted garbanzos as they made me nauseaus but the falafel did not after i dehydrated it. Strange? I have made many of her crackers and “sweet” recipes and they are all great. As i mentioned, the banana bread is really good, I also made her tropical lime pie hoping it would be a satisfactory substitute for Key Lime pie which I love!(We have a local pie place here in Florida famous for their key lime pie-boy i miss it!) The end product was very, very good!(not key lime pie, but good)It is a good recipe as well because most ingredients are readily available in any raw foodies pantry. Next time I will use some ground chia and vanilla and eliminate one banana to get a more Lime custard type center. Hope all this helps, and I feel anything from this book will turn out great

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I’ve also heard great things about I Am Grateful. I also want to get Everyday Raw. I do have Bryan Au’s book – which i recommend for college students and anyone short on time/money/ingredients. I love the Mango Cheesecake recipe and the Taco’s (i make mine into Taco Salad). There are a bunch of great recipes that are super easy to make – 5 ingredients or less on most of them! Plus, he’s super helpful! You should check out his site. www.rawinten.com After you make his recipes once, your a pro at it and they’ll improve. I think this is definitely a great starter book and one to build on! I know it wasn’t in your list of books you want, but it’s inexpensive and he does have a picture of most recipes (mostly on the front cover or on his site). I also really like Rawvolution. I haven’t made a ton out of this book… but, mostl, i print out recipes from this site and i’ve made my own uncookbook – i find that the recipes from this site are variations of all different raw books out there (tweaked and perfected!). I did borrow a few books from my local library and that was so nice to do! “Try before you buy” :) Hope that helps!