Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chris and Zoe, HELP!

Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hello Chris and Zoe! I have been raw for about a year and a half, and I am, to my present knowledgs, 100%raw. I have been struggling a bit with egzactly what to eat every day however. So I was ust wondering if you guys could tell me a few things, since you have been doing this successfully for three years. How much dehydrated foods, and prepaired foods do you eat? Could you give me a couple of sample days of the diets you two have? Do you eat alot of nuts or seeds? Do you eat many recipes or do you try to keep things relativly simple? Do you worry about fat/car/protien ratios? What are your philosophies? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

I just thought I would try and bring this up again, hoping to be seen!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m interested to see what they say as well.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Sorry we didn’t see this before.

We eat whatever we want, whenever we want and all we want as well. We order no food online, everything we eat is made from normal ingredients that can be found anywhere. We always have the following items in the house, they are our favorites in no particular order.

Tomato, Onion (red, green, spanish), Carrot, Broccoli, Spinach, Romaine, Kale, Avocado, Banana, Cucumber, Apple, Pear, Red Pepper, Orange, Lemon, Date, Celery, Garlic, Ginger, Fresh Basil, Pine Nut, Sunflower Seed, Walnut, Flax, Salt, Cayenne and Olive Oil.

a lot of the time we also have… Sweet Potato, Pineapple, Strawberry, Blueberry, Mushrooms, Persimon, Corgette (Zuccinni) and Buckwheat.

It’s what we do with all this stuff that makes it work for us. I am always experimenting with learning how to make great tasting stuff and I think I am getting quite good at it. I have yet to find a flavor or texture that I could not remake with just the above ingredients. I am really getting to know these ingredients and how to use them.

I normally develop a craving for a certain flavor, old favorite or even a new taste completely. Then I start working on a recipe for it. These days even my first attempts are often almost perfect, but I still dump Blenders and Food Processors full of stuff in the trash every now and then.

I will normally eat this new creation for a few days while I experiment with variations. I hardly ever write down what I am doing because I found that I can remember the basic things that I did and that’s all that matters if I want to re-create it in the future. I have other priorities now, but maybe someday I will publish my recipes. For now here is my favorite rule for a good recipe… If it doesn’t taste right add Lemon Juice.

Another tip would be if it sounds good (verbally) it will probably be good also. Say the ingredients to yourself in your head before you start. (pretend you are reading a dish description off of a menu) “Cream of BLANK with BLANK and BLANK” Mmmm, that sounds good, yes I’ll have that. Start with just a few main ingredients 3 is a good number and try not to end up with more than 6 or 7 total when you are done. If it does not taste right, don’t add more items, add more of some of what is in it already until you get the right balance. Your first instincts for what to combine were probably close and just need adjustment.

If you don’t trust you own ideas then just try making any recipe you already have but use only the above ingredients. Simplifying someone elses recipe is a great way to come up with a winner.

Zoe and I are convinced that it is our absolute Love of our food that makes it so easy for us. The thought of eating something lesser just has no appeal at all. Our cravings go back and forth between simple mono meals and our recipes like what I spoke of above. Sometimes we go weeks without eating any dehydrated stuff and sometimes we go a week having some everyday. We are not afraid of salt, fat or sweet (dates) and we use as much as we want. Wanting added salt and sweet changes all the time for us also. Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes none.

Lately I have been mono mealing on Pears once a day. This happened last summer too. For dinner tonight I made myself Broccoli, Tomato, Green Onion and Spinach drowning in a Garlic Cream sauce loosely based on our cheese recipe. Zoe today had Apple Crumble for breakfast and Curry Spinach for dinner with 3 Peaches in between. She also had a pint of Cucumber and Celery with some spirilina in it. She just told me she’s planning to have a Jelly/Jello for desert made with nothing except Blueberry, Cherries, Bananas and a dash of Lemon Juice.

Zoe and I rarely are in the mood for the same thing at the same time so we normally eat different things. We always taste and usually always love each others food. We always add Lemon Juice to our water and that’s about all I drink. Zoe also has her Cucumber/Celery Juice which she calls her tea (an English thing) and lately she has been having some Almond milk since she found some spanish Almonds recently.

I hope this is of help to you. If you have any more questions, please ask. We will do what we can to answer.

Lovebows, Chris

• Thanks for this, lot’s of great info!

Thank you so much for all the detail! I have just been struggling, because I have lost alot of wieght, and I am not sure what to eat in order to be healthy. Some times I feel like I can only eat so much, and I actually loose weight when I increas my food intake at times. I love the idea that you guys just eat whatever whenever. How long did it take for you to trust yourself? Again, thank you so much for the reply, I want to hear any bits of wisdom you posses! Blessings to you! Alyssa

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Thanks Chris! Thats really helpful. I have one more question?? How do you size/judge your portions? ( yours and Zoe’s) I tend to like rather generous portions. I’m a big taster you know? I think I have super taste buds or something.Anyway…how much apple crumble? How much creamy garlic cheese? Thanks.

Mari

Hey Mari,

We really do not limit our intake or count anything. We both have days of less and days of more. I know it isn’t cool in the movement any more, but we started with nothing more than ‘Cooked food is poison’, patience, and complete self acceptance. We have never needed any other rules.

It is so easy this way, no stress at all. This is why we encourage everyone to try it at some point, long enough to taste the ease and simplicity that our miraculous Divine bodies have waiting for us.

On forums we are seen as extremists and obsessives sometimes, this just seems crazy to us, because we never worry at all about our diet. Unless you count when we are running low on tomatoes – oh no!

Lovebows, Chris

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I eat until I have had enough and can’t eat any more. If I finish what I have made and I still want more, then I go and make some more. It works very well for me!

• C and Z—It bums me out that you’re seen as extremists on other sites or places in the Raw food world. I so much appreciate your perspective AND that you don’t try to force it on anyone. It’s there for us to take as we want.

I don’t eat the same way you do (though I strive to something similar), but I do admire you guys and what you bring to the Raw food discussions. Don’t be deterred by the naysayers/haters!

Thank you soooo much Cris and Zoe, you have no idea how much you have helped me with just your honest tellings. I have really been having a tough time, and your hope is totaly inspiering to me! I wish I could come and live with you guys and you could teach me how to eat intuitivly! Thank you both so much again.

Hey DD,

One of the reasons for the move to America is the price of land in the UK. It is our goal to have a small ReTreat/Community either in the Virginia mountains or probaby in Mt Shasta California. We intend this to be a place where anyone can come, with or without money.

We will need help of all kinds from Kitchen workers & Firewood gatherers to Yoga teachers and massage therapists. We will need people to help with yurts and straw bale houses as well. So if you are up for anything like that you will be able to “come and live” with us, like you said.

Lovebows, Chris

• wow, chris

that project sounds real good…i’d love to help build something like that…..how exciting

peace

elliot

• you know i actually got 2/3rds of a way to qualifying as a yoga teacher (british wheel), many years ago…..i actually taught some ‘cover’ classes

i have always thought that one day, when i can afford to , i would go to america to finish what i started

maybe one day i’ll come-a-knockin’ on your straw door

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Chris & Zoe, you guys ARE inspiring to people! One of the reasons I have been successful at high raw the last few years is because I read “Raw Family” & Victoria Boutenko said they allowed themselves any amounts & combinations of food, as long as they were all raw. I say successful at high-raw because I thought I was eating all raw (except when I ate meat sometimes), and then I kept finding out things I was using that weren’t really raw, and I keep eliminating/substituting. So, now that I have more info. and I know how to get everything I need without eating meat, I’m cruising :) It is so easy, when you don’t have to worry about what someone else thinks you should be eating. I grew up always being thin and never any major health problems until my mid-twenties, and I ate as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted, without getting sick or gaining too much weight. So when I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, all that changed and I was told I had to count and limit everything. It was crazy hard for me. I still have to count carbs so I know how much insulin to take, but now I don’t have to limit carbs, or fat, or sodium, etc….and my body is healthier than it has been in years! Raw food has given me back the freedom to eat!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow, I would love to see that place Chris & Zoe. I live in Virginia… and I know someone who wants to do something very similar to what you describe! ...like being a medical missionary.

Not too long ago we saw 200 acres for 225K in VT. The price may be high, but a good deal! I haven’t seen the land though.

Is Waynesboro/Charlottesville the area you plan? Charlottesville is BIG on vegetarianism. They have a festival every year… so, at least, the population is open to healthy eating!

Wow, I’m excited for you. I hope it works out for you in VA. :o) (or CA, but I’m hoping for VA)

Shenandoah is beautiful… and their are bike trails around there. But, they aren’t real mountains, IMHO. However, the Appalachians are right there!

• I would just have to come to wherever you setup because I would love to meet the two of you, Zoe, and Chris! You have been so helpful to myself and my boys, as well as my husband who is actully trying to get off of animal protein because of the rave diet that you recomended! I never thought I would see it! However, rave is making a lot of sense to him where just vegatarian and vegan did not, and raw is too much. So, yea, until I can tell you face to face – Thank You, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

• Chris and Zoe, I hope you chose Mt Shasta as your abode. I grew up by the Lava Beds Nat Monument which is on the east side of the mountain. I now live about 70 miles to the south of Shasta but I could come and visit. There does not seem to be many raw foodies here but there are many, many people on the west coast within travel distance that would take advantage of that kind of opportunity. Nobody knows much about the east side of Shasta, except those few who live there, but I could take you to some areas and introduce you to wildlife and wilderness that you would never forget. I appreciate your non-judgmental relaxed attitude about raw food. The work of the old natural hygienists really inspired me and educated me to be able to make such a change but they are very strict in food combining and other things. I always go back to their writings when I start losing my way but I have come to learn that to make it my life it has to work for me and anxiety is counter-productive. I still usually eat fruit alone in the morning but I usually eat what I want when I am hungry within reason (I can go overboard on avocados because I really love the things). I am still losing tons of weight but I am looking forward to getting slim so I can eat a little more avocado. www.adashofrosemary.blogspot.com

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone it is really wonderful to hear your excitement for our Special Place that we are going to build. Everyone is more than welcome!!

I am really looking forward to moving to USA, I can’t wait now. Yes rosehebrew it will be Mount Shasta where we build our own place, we got married and honeymooned there, it is very special to us, and somewhere we are both so drawn to living. And we are going to have a lot of fun in Virginia where we will be as we find our feet and raise the money for the Special Place.

germin8 200 acres for 225k seems so cheap for an English girl like me. Have you any idea what land costs here?! It is crazy money!Great to hear Charlottesville has a veggie festival. I am in contact with a raw food meet up group there.

Can’t wait to make food for you all!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I mean it’s a good deal… great price. Just not too many people have 200K to pay it outright. We also saw 400 acres for 400K also in VT. That’s probably the best deal we’ve seen so far. But, we’re not biting… we have to sell first.

Can’t wait to eat your food!

Hello Chris and Zoe! I am soo excited by what you just said! It has been my dream to move to California, and I wor in the food industry here in Canada. I have been in the kitchen creating raw food for the whole year and a half since I went raw! I am planning on going to see Juliano and get his chef certification. So if you are actually serious about needing a chef, it just feels like all the stars alighned or somthing. PLease let me know if you are actually serious. Thank you again! Love Alyssa

I also forgot to mention that I have a Holistic Nutritionist diploma of that helps at all! Love Alyssa

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Alyssa, Yes we are serious, but we are no where near the getting it together stage yet! We are still here in the UK, I have to get my visa, then we’re going to Virginia to earn and save money for as long as it takes for us to get what we want. Then our doors will be open for you and anyone else probably!! Thanks for the offer, I am honoured ;)

Yes of course! Every great thing has to start with and idea right? I was wondering if maybe we could keep up correspondance in any way, I would love to help out in any way I can, and to just learn more about what you and Chris are envisioning?! I would love to learn more from you two! Alyssa

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well we’re both always on here all the time. And you can reach us through our website www.purelyraw.com

One of the things we want at our centre in Shasta is for ‘retired’ gurus and spiritual leaders to come and live with us in their old age. We love the idea of having our spiritual elders living with us. And we know quite a few amazing healers and spiritual leaders who are now in their 70;s and 80’s and have no where to go that is right for them. We want them to come and live with us. How amazing would that be?!

We will buy some land and self build cob houses and straw bale houses on it, dotted all around the land. We would hope to become self sufficent and be off grid.

As for the ‘Home for Retired Guru’s idea’, this is probably my favorite part of our plan. I envision that they won’t be allocated work like everyone else. They would just need to ‘be’ and be present. Imagine every workshop/class at the centre having a few of these elders in it. Everyone benefitting from their 40+ years of personal development and extensive life experience, even while we are learning the latest new thing for some bright young up-and-comer.

This sounds of Heaven to me. I have already started my list of a few Elders I want to invite. Imagine how satisfying it will be to carry a load of firewood to the little cob house where the Elder lives, who’s one sentence the day before, BLEW YOUR MIND or brought it all together for you. Wow that will be so great. I can’t wait!

Lovebows, Chris

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Woohoo!

That sounds so fantastic! I really pray for you, that your dreams come to fluition! Thank you again for all of your advice, it is really helpfull for me. I just have a couple more questions. What are your thoughts on spices? Do you use them? What is your favorite recipe right now? Thanks again!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Thank you for all your openness and guidance. Sometimes it seems like us beginners fumble along together and you have great perspective to help us all out. I love that you set the bar high in terms of all raw and your stories back it up. Thank you also for your laid-back realization that all raw is good enough and we do not need to drive ourselves crazy with percentages of fat, etc.

I wish you all the luck in the world in your new adventure!

• wow, this sounds like heaven to me as well. and i applaude you both for taking action to make something like this possible.

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement about our plans and I hope you all can find a bit of Heaven somewhere either with us or a place of your own. Here is a link to the kind of property we are looking for. It’s 140+ acres with a view of Mt Shasta.

http://www.moshercommercial.com/real-estate/958…

Hey DD,

As far as dried Herbs and Spices… As mentioned we use Salt when we want. We also use all we want of some dried Herbs and Spices as well, all though I’d have to say that ‘all we want’ is not very much of them. It’s not a restriction thing, it’s just that the right mix of ingredients doesn’t need extra flavors usually. I never really learned to use H&S before going raw and since raw, I keep using less and less flavorings in my creations.

There is an International shop in Liverpool called Mattas that has it all as far as spices. We use their Curry blend for Indian dishes we will have them ship it to us once we move to the USA. We also use Cayenne, Cumin, Oregano, Basil, Paprika, Rosemary, Thyme, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Onion powder, maybe a few more.

My favorite recipe now is Deep Fried Garlic Mushrooms with a thick Tomato paste dip. Zoe’s is Curried Spinach salad and Blueberry Jelly/Jello.

I hope this helps…

Lovebows, Chris