Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

no more bananas?!

suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

So the New York Times ran an op-ed today, in which the author claims that, quite soon, we could be facing a serious banana shortage: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/opinion/18koe…

I know some people on this site have mentioned they already tend to avoid bananas because they prefer to eat foods grown closer to home. But I know plenty of other people see bananas as a cheap, convenient, and calorie dense staple.

I’ve been ambivalent about bananas for a while, but it looks like soon I may be forced into a decision!

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Flow with it. It’s not a good idea to have a staple anyway. You’re better off having a variety. And really, bananas are a pretty empty food- aside from calories and potassium I suppose… You are always better opting for as much local as possible. If an outside source is pushing you in that direction… So be it!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

very interesting article. bananas are crazy cheap so yes i eat them. but i know they are laden with ethical and enivonmental issues. so i guess it is time to face the truth. just like gas, it’s an evil we will have to soon do without!

i bet the GE farmers are cooking up something to try to create a better more resistant banana. but i am not into GE food.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

banana shortage, rice shortage, wheat shortage…Buying local & growing my own food appeals to me more all the time :)

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I hope that everyone understands that we won’t be without bananas – only the variety that Chiquita popularized. There was a thread on this about a week ago, but I can’t find it. We will still have other varieties, so don’t sweat it ;-)

But where do we get the other varieties, since that variety is the ONLY one I ever see in the stores?

you don’t have finger bananas, red bananas, or plantains? if not, try the asian and hispanic markets

I thought plantains were more starchy, like a potato – and that people just use them cooked? There is a store that sells those. I saw finger bananas (I guess – they were smaller than regular bananas) once somewhere, but they were pretty expensive!

well, you can’t have it all – cheap and available during scarcity. I’ve only seen plantains cooked too, but we could probably experiment. They might be good as a milk (with dates, cinnamon, and maybe nutmeg) or in smoothies with a few dates.

It’s all good – I guess the reason people are concerned (at least me) is that bananas have been a cheap source of calories for so long. I could live without them & still have a great vaiety of taste & nutrition :) But, yeah, I guess it’s good to realize the options will still be there. And the plantain milk doesn’t appeal to me – I’m not even sure if they’re safe to eat raw.

from wiki: Plantains can be used for cooking at any stage of ripeness, and very ripe plantain can be eaten raw.

Ooh! Good to know – thanks!

• I have been hearing the banana shortage rumor on and off for about 10 years – and so far, I haven’t noticed any change in availability. If it happens then I too will miss them – I have at least one every day. I find that they help me stay full for a little while longer. Long live the banana!!!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Order banana trees at Willis Orchards

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Plantains are good, but they’re not as sweet.

• gees if every fruit has some sort of a problem with it, what else is there to eat, im thinking cooked beans, rice,quinoa,buckwheat ,lentils is a better choice. ive been eating bananas but now reading all this makes me want to stop eating them, but i still like them.

• nooooo! I hope I never see a banana shortage day!