Could Mad Cow Disease Already Be Killing Thousands of Americans Each Year?

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I still eat beef occasionally but in the last few years only eat pasture-finished beef that is shipped to my home. This past week I was vacationing with a friend and ate beef 4 times in restaurants. I got to thinking this was really stupid and I should know better so I decided to take a refresher course on why I shouldn’t trust the beef industry. Here are two links that really enlightened me:

January 7, 2004. Could Mad Cow Disease Be Killing Thousands of Americans Each Year?

June 20, 2008. Why Are Those Wacky Koreans Dissin’ Our Beef?.

It is one thing to gloss over an article and another to read the entire thing. If you live in the US and have a few minutes, these are well worth reading. I was taken aback to read about the connection between Mad Cow and CJD, which are believed to be routinely misdiagnosed as Alzheimers. When you read the 2nd article, 4 years later, it seems the zero accountability beef inspections, the rise in documented US CJD cases, and the limited number of autopsies performed on Alzheimer patients could be hiding an epidemic of mad cow disease in this country. Finally, one beef producer wanted to start testing every single cow for mad cow disease before slaughter (like they do in Japan), and the US government took him to court to stop him. Hard to believe this isn’t common knowledge and that our “consumer protection agencies” are so f%*&^%!

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I haven’t read your articles yet(I will), but I was just thinking about the Koreans not wanting our beef, and I believe we threatened them if they refused it. It should tell us something about ourselves.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

there is no good beef, period. if you are looking for more reading, “Mad Cowboy” by Howard Lyman is great. he got the beef industry all riled up back in the 90s when he appeared on Oprah and she said she would never eat another burger.

thats interesting Alix…i wouldn’t doubt it. we are all about freedom, yet we oppress and impose our will on others more than any country.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I just now reread the articles I saw, plus Meditating’s, and I’m utterly ashamed of my country. Yes, we are openly threatening the Koreans to buy and consume our soiled beef.

RawK, you are so right. I can’t believe how much worse we have become over the years. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and all those protests were for nothing.