David Hails

Hi, I’m David. I have been vegetarian since September and vegan since January for health, animal rights, and environmental reasons. A few days ago I decided to go raw, cold tofurky, which I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Everything seems to be going fine except I don’t know where I can find sprouts. I succeeded in finding brussels sprouts at my local health food store but I don’t know where to find buckwheat sprouts, chickpea sprouts, or wheatgrass sprouts, all of which I want to get my hands on. Thanks to everyone who has been part of making this website what it is, it’s very helpful.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi David!! So cool that you’re raw! Sprouts can be grown. http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/print/easys…

A general way to go is soak the seeds overnight in water, rinse very well, and put in sprouting basket covered with a tall plastic bag/wrap OR in a spaghetti drainer OR on a tray of dirt with sunlight covered for the first few days kept very moist.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

sprouting is a snap! just rinse 2-3 times a day.

i haven’t been able to find buckwheat either!! i think its something that has to be special ordered. the only buckwheat i find is roasted.

chickpeas sprout great, but they are little bitter. i’ve made hummus with them, but you really have to add alot more lemon and garlic than you would with cooked chickpeas.

you might try sprouting french lentils too.

wheatgrass, if you are sprouting these to juice, keep in mind it takes at least 1 square foot of it to make one serving of about 2 oz. alot of health food stores sell wheatgrass “shots”, juiced fresh, i’ve gotten this at a smoothie shop. also the juice is sold frozen.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

hi david. at first i had no idea how i would get along without my beans! but you really don’t have to have sprouts all the time to be raw. it all works out, you’ll see.

for buckwheat sprouts just use RAW buckwheat groats (not kasha). sometimes my store is out of it though so we buy a lot when we see it.

chickpeas did not work out for me.

i sprout clover sprouts easily and adzuki beans very well.

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting….

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey David,

Your profile picture is Fabulous! Do you know where it is, and what kind of tree it is?

Lovebows, Chris