Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lighter crackers?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

After eating fruit for a few days in a row, I find I crave something dry. I’ve made many crackers, but they are so heavy for me and i will also overeat them, killing my fruit high and leaving me feeling like a floating fiber ball. Anyone have a recipe for a mostly veggie cracker that will hold together AND not taste like air?

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Why don’t you check out this post

I was telling Mon46 how to make a light but delicious cracker. I actually haven’t made it yet, but I wrote down the measurements I thought would work and plan to try them sometime this weekend.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Not a recipe, but HAHAHAHAHA! :D Your reference to “feeling like a floating fiber ball” just cracked me up! I also wanted to say hi. :) It’s not veggies, but I knew someone who sprouted wheat, blended it up with garlic, water & maybe salt, and dehydrated it into crackers. I like to eat lots of fresh tomatoes on my crackers/breads so I don’t “feel like a floating fiber ball” heehee – I get overloaded with dry/heavy stuff really quickly. The other thing I have sometimes done is to just break up a smaller amount of my crackers into a huge salad, so I still get a little of it without just filling up on crackers.

• Cafe Gratitude has a recipe for spinach tortillas that’s pretty simple. Roughly one 5 oz clamshell of spinach 1/4 cup ground flax, 1 TBSP lemon juice, pick your fresh herbs and spices and blend it together. Spoon onto a teflex sheet in 6 6inch rounds. If you keep it in the dehydrator long enough it will turn into a cracker. I love these for my kids in cracker and tortilla form… sneaky veggies!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks all! RKC-I tried that link without success. Om—what is a clamshell? A plastic tub? I’m going to try those. Will they hold up to some zucchini hummus? While at the beach, i whipped up a batch or 5 of Ani Phyo’s zucchini hummus. For three days I kept getting more grape tomatoes for dipping. I ate 4 pints—until the figs came in. Why are they so expensive? That’s off topic…Thanks, Angie!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Instead of using nuts and seeds as a base like a lot of people do, I would use sprouted quinoa or zucchini. :D

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Mix veggie pulp leftover from juicing and a small amount of flax.

buckwheat is also good.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Rachel—I like that idea—i think sprout time for quinoa is only an hour or so?

• Hey lzhpt… Clamshells are those plastic containers salad comes in…btw they are superior to bags in keeping salad/spinach fresh. I think a shmear of hummus would be fine.

• lzhpt, this is the link RKC was directing you to. Hopefully, this’ll work. Her cracker idea is pure genius.

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/6393

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Oh! Love that recipe too!!! So much to work with now. I don’t have nutritional yeast—Can I sub psyllium husks? I’ll make these tomorrow. I was away when the same post came up—usually check, but I didn’t see it.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Rawkidchef—Those crackers are dehydrating as we speak. I was inundated with jalapeno peppers from the garden so I added one of those. I did not have nutritional yeast so i subbed 1T psyllium husks. So far they smell great. In order to get it turning over in the blender i added about 1/2 C of the SD tomato soak water. When they’re done, I’ll let you know how they came out. Since they are thin, I’m dehydrating them at 114 degrees.

• lzhpt and RKC, I have also just put a batch in the dehydrator. lzhpt, did you find it a bit messy? Mine kept slipping through the teflex sheets, most likely because there was too much liquid. I also had difficulty getting it to spread evenly. I used an entire cup of the tomato soak water, so thinking to do less next time. BTW, the jalapenos are a great idea.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

i am really happy making my crackers that are half buckwheat and half flax, if you make the batter quite thin, they turn out really nice and light like poppadoms. They’re on my page.

• Well, mine turned out pretty badly! The consistency was awful and the tomatoes were overwhelming. I am not giving up, though. I think next time less SD tomatoes and less water. I still think it’s a great idea RKC, I just have to tinker with it a bit. I’m curious as to how yours and lzhpt’s came out. If you had success, please let me know what you did.

• iknikn

I like to make “crackers” out of root vegetables. Like squash, yam, beet, turnips. Cut them very thin and marinate them for an hour in tamari or liquid aminos with some garlic and spices, whatever you like. Dehydrate them until they become hard chips.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Mon46—they were a little chewy like a fruit leather—probably the psyllium I used. I enjoyed the flavor so much I ate them before they were completely crispy. They were very thin like a chip. I enjoyed that I could get those going without waiting for anything to soak, but the dehydration time is long. In the future, I would double or triple the recipe. I’m going to try adding the soaked quinoa—I think it would be more like a cracker. I think we are close here—I’ll keep posting.

• Hi everyone, I just made some crackers with 1/2 corn cut from the cob (processed till broken up some), 1/2 sprouted buckwheat (processed to a course batter), some flax and lime and chili powder. They were really light and crunchy and absolutly wonderful with guacamole. I have found that sprouted buckwheat works better for flaver and texture than anything. It makes more like a flour cracker. I tried quinoa but it turns out rather hard and tasteless. I want to post the recipe but my camera died.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

rose your crackers sound devine! odoes the buckwheat flavor overwhelm? ive had trouble withit in cookies….

everyone wasnt there a kale chip on here by “loves something or other” cant remember her name but she was wearing a huge red chefs hat in her pic…she had kale crisps on her recipe page that looked really good!

LovefoodLaughter’s Classy Kale Crisps

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

angie! YEEEESSS! god im old… cant remember anyones name! teehee

Glad I could help you out, ya old fart :D

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

lzhpt- yeah, the sprouting time for quinoa is only like an hour or two, it’s super fast. I love it :D