I'm Soooo Excited and you might be too!!!

waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

With the cost of our foods soaring, I went to a local “winery” yesterday and found a new source for blueberriea!!! They had ripe blueberries and if you picked them and shared with the owner, they were FREE!!! Yes FREE if you shared, by picking 2 bags and leaving 1 bag…

I picked a basket full, then bagged them up and had 6 quart bags stuffed… So I was able to take 3 bags home… Isn’t that wonderful??? I plan to go back next week when the bushes will be full of ripe berries… Yesterday only the first berries were ripe, so it took me 3 hours to gather the basketfull.. Next week it should take less than an hour to pick the same amount… Also, they have blackberries that will be ripe the first of July… Not to mention pears, apples and grapes!!! Life is good!!!

Comments

• That’s absolutely incredible. I wish I was situated where your are. (I’m guessing you are not in Germany!) Most people in my town have there own garden stalls daily and people are fighting over the last fresh punnets of blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and gooseberries. It’s hilarious. The one’s I get range from 2 euro to 3 euro a punnet. They are all grown locally, picked that morning and are the sweetest things around. I am not sure if they are organic but I feel so great eating hour old berries and supporting the local community that organic or not, I feel like I’m doing the right thing. I wish there were more businesses like the one you have mentioned around. HAPPY PICKING AND SHARING.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, that’s awesome!! I would definitely take advantage of that and stock up my whole freezer with blueberries if I were you, lol

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Woohoo! Awesome :) We have blackberry bushes hanging over the fence from the neighbor’s yard, and I just found out about a fresh produce coop that someone started in my area, although it’s not local & probably not organic, either – at least it’ll save me money on produce!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Lucky girl, waterbaby!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Thanks zochen and Izhpt!!! I started this forum so everyone would check out their area for possibilities of “working for your food” and save money doing it… ;) Until yesterday, it hadn’t dawned on me there was a chance of a “share program”...

rachel_akiko I’m going back tomorrow and Tue to try and clean the bushes!!!

angie Usually blueberries and blackberries are organic as they don’t need any protection from disease or bugs… YEA!!! Enjoy all the berries… ;)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I foraged for wild blackberries and picked a whole quart! Yummers. I’m spending my fourth of july weekend hiking and stuffing my face. The bushes fight back though – my legs look like I was attacked by a cat!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

“Cats in the wild” can be hard on skin integrity, LOL!!! Winona, I suggest gloves, long sleeves and jeans despite the heat… That’s’ what I do because my OLD skin tears so easily… :(

I am dying to go back to this farm where in the 1970’s I would go pick wild blackberries and would fill 5 gallon buckets with berries the size of your thumb… I’m drooling all over my computer LOL And I know full well that the land is probably now covered with concrete…