Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

30 Day Juice Feast

Good afternoon!

Tomorrow I am setting out on a juice feast for a month.
I have started JF in the past, but they always fell through.

This time I plan to stick with it.
Through this forum topic I plan to:

- Share my daily experiences
- Collect any insight and/or testimonials

That said: has anyone ever done a juice feast?
Perhaps participated in the Rainoshek’s Global Feast?
Please feel free to share your stories!

Also, from day to day I would love to hear from everyone.
Support/ encouragement will definitely be need!

Thanks, Kait

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Wow! I did 3/4 of one day of a juice feast – I got really hungry & ate dinner – and I think I’d love to JF for a month or more, if the produce wasn’t so expensive! I’ll have to save up for it or plan next year’s garden around juice feasting – tons of cucumbers, kale, spinach, etc. I can’t wait to hear how yours goes! Why did past ones fall through?

• angie: Thank you for your reply! My feasts have failed in the past because it was just inconvenient for me at the time. I am a college student and I was struggling financially and academically. Now that summer has arrived, produce is more readily available and I’m working boatloads.

Now I’ve got money to spend on produce and time to spend on juicing :-)

Wow, I wish I didn’t live in a dorm room and had a garden of my own! I’m going to be utilizing the reasonably-priced local juice bar and buying some produce in bulk from OrganicDirect. I’m SO anxious to start and I’m definitely more mentally prepared this time around.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i did a 24 hour feast. I think if I did it again I would have drank even more juice. I just simply didn’t have enough at the beginning of the day. I must say my favorite juice lately is cataloupe juice. such a treat.

• Oh my goodness! What a funny coinsidence (hope I spelled that right!) I just started a juice fast yesterday! lol.. and so far… I’m Lovin’ it!! but one question… what’s the difference between juice fasting and juice feasting?? haha always wondered that.. well good luck with yours, even with living in the dorm! I’m only 17 and live at home.. so it’s hard with family being so nosy! I just try to keep to myself about it. but ya I ordered a juicer last week and decided to try fasting the day I got it, so wah-lah!

• bitt: I think I wasn’t drinking enough juice when I first did it either. That lead me to feeling extremely hungry by the time 5 p.m. came along. Also, I haven’t tried cantaloupe juice! I love cantaloupe, but for some reason I never imagined juicing it. After your suggestion- I’ll try it.

chelsey09: How funny! How has the first day or so been? Good question about juice fasting vs. juice feasting. I had to look this up myself.

Basically, the term “juice fasting” is extremely controversial. Fasting refers to refraining from food and nutrients. I think the fact that the juice comes from FOODS and we are receiving NUTRIENTS throws people off. Anyway, juice fasting is basically replacing meals with juices. From my understanding (someone please correct me if I’m wrong), “juice feasting” requires an abundance of juices. It is recommended that participants drink a MINIMUM of 4 liters of fresh juice per day.

edit- Also, feel free to track your JF day to day in this forum topic!

• chelsey09: I’m 18 :0) but I’m a college student and I’m living at school to work this summer. You should really tell your parents what you plan to take on and maybe recommend them some reading material on the benefits of juice fasting/ feasting so that they don’t worry that you are being unhealthy or starving yourself. I’m not sure if you all eat dinner together, but once you skip a couple family meals- I’m sure they, as any worried parents would, might jump to conclusions.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m on day 3 of my first juice feast. I only planned 3 days, since I’ve got friends over for dinner. It hasn’t been hard at all, but I’m really great with fasts – super motivated. Course that’s cuz I know I really need the detox. Good luck all!

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

KAIT - I just finished a 40 raw juice fast last month. Feel phenomenal.

Here is a great website – www.fasting.com. It is run by Dennis Paulson and he basically provides supervised fasting programs (wow, modern technology, justify my love!). I have never purchased one, always preferring to do the first hand experience and letting my body lead me.

When I am fasting, I love to read the testimonial page. It really helps. But I gotta say, I found this website on my 40 day fast and I totally enjoyed looking at all of the food pics and planning my after-fast eating regime.

Good luck – I will be interested to hear about your progress.

• Carmentina: Congratulations on your 3 day feast! I have a ton to detox also so I’m in the same boat, lol.

Suzical: 40 days is fantastic! Maybe if mine goes well, I’ll stick it out for longer. Thanks for the site. I checked it out and decided that if my juices start to get monotonous and I feel like giving up- I may purchase the program. For now, I’ll do what feels right.

• kait: so far so good! I just woke up and had a juice with watermelon,apple,and lemon.MMM! didn’t think watermelon would make so much juice, the cup was like overflowing! but I guess it makes sense w/ watermelon.. haha but yaa that sounds right about the fasting or feasting thing, whichever one I’m doing?! lol I don’t think I’m drinking quite 4 liters though. and I probably should tell my parents, but there is a good thing, I mean they can be nosy every once in awhile, but they leave it up to me to decide what I want to do pretty much. when I went vegan, my mom thought I was crazy, but she knew that since I’m almost 18 there wasn’t really much she could do about it anyway. And I don’t usually eat dinner with the fam, since I’m usually WORKING. :( lol

Carmentina: Wow, looks like we started right after the other! I’m on my third day today. And good luck!

Suzical: thanks for the website! I’m so excited to be doing this, hopefully I’ll get some good results!!

Thanks for all the support everybody! :)

• Still going strong! I’ll post my total intake at the end of the day.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I did a 5 day juice feast last week and then i went camping Thursday,Friday and Saturday then my parents came to visit, so i started again yesterday. I’m still trying to find a combination that i love. I haven’t actually read any information on juice feasting, so i’m just doing my own thing. I was trying to find some info but it seemed that every site out there charged for the info! What i do is this:

MORNING: 1 Grapefruit, 1 Orange, 2 carrots, 1 apple. Yum! I do change this variation, but it’s pretty similar – and if another fruit is on sale, i’ll use that. I just bought peaches but they’re not very sweet. You need something sweet to counteract the tartness of the Grapefruit.

LUNCH AND DINNER: 1 bunch of Spinach (almost a pound), 1 head of Celery, 1 cucumber, 1 lemon, 1 apple or a bunch of carrots (to add some sweetness). I do change the greens – so far i like Kale and Spinach the best. I personally don’t like Cucumber juice (although i love cucumbers) but i know it’s good for me and very hydrating, so i use it.

After my 5 day cleanse last week, i actually got a yeast infection – detox! I was amazed since i had done a handful of Master Cleanse’s and never had this side effect. I also just got off of my “life long” birth control pills so I’m sure my body was detoxing it out. I heard that juice feasting is more detoxing than anything else out there.

My question is this: Is it okay to have fruit juices or do you have to just stick to green juices? I find that i do need something sweeter during the day so i’m trying to use lower sugar fruits for this. I just made myself a large glass of juice using red peppers, 1 tomatoe, Celery, 1/2 english cucumber, 1/2 lemon, 2 large carrots… tastes pretty good. I think if i added some ginger it would taste almost like a bloody mary!

I can only do this juice fast for a little over a week since i’m leaving for a week long vacation on July 5. I plan on doing this until July 4 so that i can start eating normally again on the 4th. I felt great after just 5 days last week – and i lost 2 pounds. So, i’m hoping i feel even better after this one.

Good luck to everyone!!

I did a 5 day juice feast last week and then i went camping Thursday,Friday and Saturday then my parents came to visit, so i started again yesterday. I’m still trying to find a combination that i love. I haven’t actually read any information on juice feasting, so i’m just doing my own thing. I was trying to find some info but it seemed that every site out there charged for the info! What i do is this:

MORNING: 1 Grapefruit, 1 Orange, 2 carrots, 1 apple. Yum! I do change this variation, but it’s pretty similar – and if another fruit is on sale, i’ll use that. I just bought peaches but they’re not very sweet. You need something sweet to counteract the tartness of the Grapefruit.

LUNCH AND DINNER: 1 bunch of Spinach (almost a pound), 1 head of Celery, 1 cucumber, 1 lemon, 1 apple or a bunch of carrots (to add some sweetness). I do change the greens – so far i like Kale and Spinach the best. I personally don’t like Cucumber juice (although i love cucumbers) but i know it’s good for me and very hydrating, so i use it.

After my 5 day cleanse last week, i actually got a yeast infection – detox! I was amazed since i had done a handful of Master Cleanse’s and never had this side effect. I also just got off of my “life long” birth control pills so I’m sure my body was detoxing it out. I heard that juice feasting is more detoxing than anything else out there.

My question is this: Is it okay to have fruit juices or do you have to just stick to green juices? I find that i do need something sweeter during the day so i’m trying to use lower sugar fruits for this. I just made myself a large glass of juice using red peppers, 1 tomatoe, Celery, 1/2 english cucumber, 1/2 lemon, 2 large carrots… tastes pretty good. I think if i added some ginger it would taste almost like a bloody mary!

I can only do this juice fast for a little over a week since i’m leaving for a week long vacation on July 5. I plan on doing this until July 4 so that i can start eating normally again on the 4th. I felt great after just 5 days last week – and i lost 2 pounds. So, i’m hoping i feel even better after this one.

Good luck to everyone!!

Carrie6292 – When I juice fast, I tend to juice what I am “hungry” for foodwise. There was one two week fast I did where I wasn’t hungry, but craved the groundedness of “beef” type items. What to do? I ended up juicing A LOT of garlic, onion, kale and beet (yep, together) and it was SOOO delicious.

I think you can have as much fruit juice as you want – I think the usual “fructose overload fears” don’t apply when you are juice fasting – you need those calories so that your body can do it’s Mr. Clean thing.

Have a great vacation after a job well done!

Carrie6292 – When I juice fast, I tend to juice what I am “hungry” for foodwise. There was one two week fast I did where I wasn’t hungry, but craved the groundedness of “beef” type items. What to do? I ended up juicing A LOT of garlic, onion, kale and beet (yep, together) and it was SOOO delicious.

I think you can have as much fruit juice as you want – I think the usual “fructose overload fears” don’t apply when you are juice fasting – you need those calories so that your body can do it’s Mr. Clean thing.

Have a great vacation after a job well done!

• carrie6292: Thanks for posting your daily intake and congrats on the success of your 5 day feast. I think it’s fine to have fruit juices. I can’t really get into green juices in the summer so I will be feasting mainly on fruit. I figure that if fruit juices are what keeps me satisfied and keeps me feasting along, then so be it! I’ve also been a strict fruitarian in the past and I’m hoping this feast will ease me back into that lifestyle.

Suzical: you said “I think you can have as much fruit juice as you want”. I’m basically living off fruit juices during this feast, but I worry about going OVER my calorie allowance. Although I’m using this opportunity to detox and cleanse my body, I also wouldn’t mind losing a few pounds along the way. ;)

My question for you OR anyone able to shed some light would be… does taking in calories from juices differ from taking in calories from solids? Or is going over calorie allowance simply going over calorie allowance (no if, ands, or buts)?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

if you are juicing the food not all the calories are making it into the final juice. so yes i do think it differs.

juicefeasting.com is a great resource.

• bitt & Suzical: Thanks for your responses. They were very helpful.

Friday, June 27, 2008 intake:
    1/2 liter of straight-up apple juice
    2 liters of banana orange juice
    1 liter of apple, carrot, beet juice

Suzical – i love the way you explain things :) Thanks! Now, i don’t feel so bad craving my orange/grapefruit/carrot/apple combo juice! I started juicing last month – i heard it was good to do a 2 day juice fast each month. So, that’s what i started doing. This past juice fast was going to be just the same but then i kept going. I was getting into it. This time, i’m not so into it. But, i know my body had so much more to detox (which totally supported my Theory that i still have old meds in my body – eventhough doctors claim no…), but my timing was bad and i was going away for a few days – w/o a juicer! So, now i’m trying to detox more. One day, i’ll do the full 92 day detox (or is it 94)... but, not right now! Also, i wish i had read your post earlier – I made a steak for my husband and my son (i’m trying to convert them, but they’re both set in their ways!) and i was craving it afterwards – now, i was never a fan of steak, ever! So, it was odd that i was craving it. I think i was craving more the salt than anything else. I’ll try your juice combo tomorrow and see if that helps! Kinda odd, but i can see how it would mimic the taste of steak/beef. Thanks for posting that!

Kait – Good Luck to you – i know you can last 30 days :) I love fruit and i would eat it all day long if i could – but i don’t have a garden of my own (yet) and i can’t afford to keep buying it! I’m craving a bowl of watermelon right now – and it’s even in my fridge… i’ll just add some watermelon to my fruit juice in the morning :) I’m out of grapefruit so it will have to sub in! Can’t wait!!!

• mmm, watermelon =P

• Hey all! Good to hear how everybody’s doing so well with the juicing! Haven’t given in yet! :) For me, I make the most random juices… I just stocked up on fruits and veggies like carrots, kale, parsley, beet,and cabbage and when I get hungry just say, hmmm, what sounds good? grab some stuff out of the fridge and get to juicing! but yaa I pretty much stick to fruit and veggie mixed juices. I don’t think I’d last the whole thirty days with plain old veggie juices!! lol I have quite the sweet tooth.. had a carrot orange mix this morning, kinda plain but oh so tasty!!

Good job everybody!!

• Day 2 was today and REALLY tough. I was so close to giving in. I know I’m going to need you guys to get me through tomorrow. I just need to break that 3 day mark and things will start getting easier!

Saturday, June 28, 2008 intake: 1 liter of banana orange juice 1/2 liter of apple mango orange juice 1/2 liter of cranberry grape juice 1 liter of straight-up lemon juice

• Congrats Kait!

One tip: Add a lot more greens and veggies. They are very filling in juice form and it will make the feast a lot easier. Good luck!

• Kait: WEll way to get thru it girl!! I realize how much easier it is too when I have to work for a good part of the day.. So far no mess ups! :) thank goodness. but I’m nervous right now since I just went to this juice bar/smoothy joint and asked if they juiced their fruit fresh, and they said that the only one not from concentrate was the oj, so I got that. could there be something wrong with it?? lOl hopefully not! I couldn’t stop at home for my juicer :(

but anyways, this would be day 5 for me, and I’m surprised that I haven’t given in yet! and I’m surprised at how long I can go ‘til I need something to drink! haha and Keep it up everyone!

• Hi Ladies,

Sounds like you are doing really well on your juice feasts. Tomorrow I will be finishing a 40 day Master Cleanse fast (I’ve had nothing but lemon/lime juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for 39 days now..) and I’m sooooo excited to drink that first sip of Orange Juice on Tuesday (I have to drink OJ for a few days to “re-awaken” my digestive tract).

Anyways, I just wanted to share with you that it sounds like you are both on the right track. If juice feasting is anything like the MC, than day 5 is a huge tipping point.. it gets easier from there.

Also, I came across this video the other day. This woman did a 92 day juice feast (wow!) and recoreded her first solid food intake afterwards.Here’s the link

• KathrynL: Thanks for the link. I’ve read Angela Stokes’ story before. Congratulations on your 40 day MC! Have you lost a lot of weight? Were you SAD or raw before you began?

• I was just BAD. I gained 30 lbs over the past winter, but thankfully lost it all during the MC. I’m switching to raw now, to make sure I don’t gain it all back, and to try to keep my energy up (so I don’t spend another winter in bed).

I’ve been obsessing for the past couple of weeks over which of the many fabulous recipes on this site I am going to try first :).

• Hey all, I’m still keeping to my juice feast, but I’m going away for a week or two and won’t be able to update via the internet! Keep up the good work to everyone who is involved and I will get at you when I return :0)

• KathrynL: Thanks for the input! It hasn’t been too hard so far, but once in awhile, (especially after work at night!) I really feel like chewing on something!! lOl but congrats on your MC!! you give me hope!! there will be a light at the end of the tunnel! haha and thanks again!

Kait: well good luck wherever you’re going!! and hopefully you and everybody else stays on track! well not hopefully, we will stay on track! ;)