Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Teaching Teenagers about food

Hi Everyone, I am going to be teaching a one month class this summer to teenagers themed around food and the food chain. I am thinking of using excerpts from The Omnivores Dilemma and Fast Food Nation, but I was wondering if anyone else had some better titles to recommend. It is a social sciences course, not a nutrition course, but I thought you guys might have some advice for me. THANKS, Julie

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

This isn’t a raw book, but it really opened my eyes to all the chemicals in our food supply. Not sure of the author, but the name of the book is ‘Crazy Makers’

• I am reading ” Harvest for Hope, A guide to mindful eating” by Jane Goodall. It talks about different things regarding our food, maybe you would find something that would interest your students.

Click here to see table of content provided by amazon.com

• “Diet For a New America” – John Robbins

• “The Botany Of Desire: A Plants Eye View of the World” – Michael Pollan

• “Enzyme Nutrition” Edward Howell “The Jungle” Upton Sinclair “Eating with Conscience” Michael W. Fox “Mad Cowboy” Howard Lyman

• Animal Farm by George Orwell, Nature’s First Law

• PamPam

I second the vote for Mad Cowboy. I think Omnivore’s Dilemma is a bit tedious, although the author’s NY Times article was fascinating.

• Feed them! What better way to teach anyone about food. And go to a farm!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

James Lovelock “Gaia-a new look at life on earth” This was a groundbreaking book written in the 1970’s which put forward the hypothesis that the Earth is one big super organism, it is truly inspirational and enlightening and changed the way many people see the world. And it helped birth the Environmentalist movement.

• As a former anorexic and bulimic who can get obsessed with food (good foodvs. bad food ideas that get obesessive and unhealthy (it started for me as a teen) I caution that we have teens be able to make their own choices about food and encourage them to listen to thier bodies and how certain foods feel in their bodies along with the nutritional information we give.Eating disorders can spring up at this time of hormonal fluctuations. Giving them yummy, healthy food, good books to read going to the farm like Nagev writes, and letting them know that ultimately it is up to them to take good care of their bodies and you trust that they will make good choices.