Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pure nonSUNse!

Today at around noon I was home and while having lunch I decided (for a change) to listen to the news…

The anchor: “now that the summer has finally arrived watch for the sun as it may very well be your worst ENEMY! Skin cancer is on the rise and studies indicate that 1 on 5 people will suffer skin cancer before the age of….”

Am I the only one seeing this kind of news as absolute rubbish? Logically, if the sun was responsible don’t you think that humans would have been extinct a long time ago from this planet? Also, what about the people living in and around the equator (I am from Canada), if the sun is the problem they should be all affected by skin cancer don’t you think?

It seems as if mainstream media and governments are out there trying to denigrate everything that is left natural in this world!

Just wondering if someone else out there shares my view…

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It’s completely out of hand. A couple of weeks ago, I read some little blurb on Yahoo’s health page from a professional idiot who was telling people that they should wear sunscreen 24/7, even if they sat in an office all day. God forbid the horrid and evil rays of the sun blast through the walls and give everyone cancer.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

HAHAHAHA! :D You guys have a way of saying things – humans extinct & sun blasting through office walls to cause cancer :) heeheehee I’m gonna go sit in the sun!

• you have to keep in mind that the sun light that we experience is different from the sun light 2000 years ago what with ozone depletion and what not. I believe that it is true that skin cancer has spiked because of that.

• Morning sun rays are good for you, while afternoon it’s too hot and evening sun is actually harmful, as per some ancient texts. It has got to do something with the direction & angle at which the sun rays hit the surface of the earth.

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I dunno, I know the sun is very good for us, but sadly it has to be in moderation because of the humans who have depleted our ozone over time!I say in small increments like 20 min should be good…

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I used to always burn but this spring/summer I have limited my sun to 20 minutes at a time, daily (when possible since it is sometimes very cloudy here). I did not burn once! If I was out longer I would wear sunscreen though. We have to have some time without the goop on so we can get our vitamin D you know.

• I am not denying the fact that the sun may cause severe sunburn (and possibly trigger cancer) but I just don’t think that the sun is the root cause of the problem. I have read somewhere and also experienced directly that if an individual is intoxicated the reaction to sun exposure is much worse and can cause severe sunburn. Given that we live in an era where the number of intoxicated people is on the rise due to modern lifestyle and polluted environment it seems obvious to me that this could very well be the real issue. What I am contesting is the trend in our society (and in western medicine) to never look at the source, the root cause of illnesses.

read this article and this one too

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I believe sun exposure is FUNDAMENTAL to good health, that’s because our bodies make vitamine D from it. Clearly we were designed to be out in it. Moderation is the key. I’ve noticed that my skin is darker and doesn’t seem to burn now that I’m high raw. Could it be the additional melanin from foods like carrots? Who knows.

• The Sun is the Key to life, without, there is NO LIFE. Get out into the sun with NO chemical goo on you!! Now to dispell another myth, the Sun is not stronger, as a matter of FACT, the Sun’s Rays have Diminished 30% in past 50 years (this was measured on Sept. 12-14 2001 in the U.S. in conjuction with a study in Isreal for the past 50 yrs with Water evaportion tests). We are letting less rays in, but retaining more heat due to pollution. Just be sensible, wear a wide brim hat, or a long shirt when out for long periods of time, or find shade like most animals do, they dont wear sunscreen.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I have actually heard and been told several times that sunblock/lotion/whatever actually promotes skin cancer…idk,just what I heard. They lived w/o it for thousands of years and were fine, what’s wrong with us now? Maybe the sun is stronger or whatever,it can’t be that much different and I personally believe it’s not, but you know…..

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I haven’t used sunscreen at all since being raw. just haven’t needed it!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I like the sun too… however, i got burned this past Sunday from sitting in the sun for abou an hour with live-live’s all natural 30SPF on. Only my shoulders and chest got burned. But, i was thouroughly surprised since i eat as close to 100% raw as i can (with the exception of Miso and Raw Almonds). I did just read something somewhere (maybe here) where it said that the ingredients in sunscreen can actually damage your skin. I think it was the Parebens and the other odd ingredients. But, because i got burned with the SPF (natural) on, i am afraid to go in the sun with no protection…

• I use PABA free sunscreen(my bf is allergic to PABA) and I have never had an issue…It’s hard finding companies that don’t test on animals though, I just found out thta Coppertone does so now I have to search for a new brand:(

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I would like to know about those who live on or near the the torrid zone and don’t wear sun blockers. How is the skin cancer in those areas? Seems sensible to find out. Why worry about something if it is only hype.

• I found a great sunscreen by ALBA today, they don`t test on animals and is PABA and PARABIN free, it`s unscented and water resistant!

• haha i must be in the minority.. i HATE the sun. i moved from southern california to seattle so i could avoid it a little. but summer is hard. ever since i was little i get unbelievably sick if i’m in the sun for more than a few minutes. i burn in minutes (like.. blisters..) and my eyes are so sensitive to light that i’m supposed to wear sunglasses indoors and out. ... basically i’m a vampire :) i suck the life out of produce.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I adore the sun and since raw food haven’t gotten sun burned or needed sun screen. I’m super fair so I used to burn like crazy. Anyway, I think the ozone, 2000 year ago sun and all that doesn’t affect skin cancer. I think it’s our lifestyles in our current time. All other cancers have climbed in the last 100 years so why should skin cancer not? It doesn’t make sense. It can’t be the sun because it’s always been around. Still, the sun can damage your skin. So be careful. But enjoy!

kedamono! I’m so sorry that you’re that sensitive! I totally understand your hatred. You’re allowed to hate it.

• How about everything has a balance. You can get sun and be fine…it’d just be dumb to go tanning all summer long….good grief. I haven’t burned since being raw either. I do use sunscreen when I go to the beach all day….but those times that I’ve been in the sun all day and forgot the block….I haven’t burned…..maybe it’s all those chemicals people eat that get into our cells and burn with sun exposer! Possible….

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

amen sister. That’s the ticket

• i do think a lot of it has to do with the sun now being much stronger because of the depleted ozone. i live in southern california, and so i get a TON of sun being in my car all the time. i’m careful about the sunscreens i choose to wear, but i notice when i don’t wear sunscreen that i freckle much more darkly on the left side of my face and my left arm than the rest of me, as those are the parts of me that are most directly exposed to the sun, even if i keep the windows rolled up. i’ve read that the sun’s rays are strongest from the hours of 11 to 4 or so, so if i go out before or after that i don’t wear sunscreen, but between those hours i make sure to.

i worked with a woman who was 29 years old, and got a ‘pimple’. she had perfect skin, so everyone responded to her complaints with “i can barely even see it!” after about a week it disappeared, but she said she could still feel it if she touched it. again everyone else thought she was crazy, but she went to the dermatologist anyways, and it turned out to be a tiny spot of melanoma. she had never tanned or spent inordinate amounts of time i the sun, and again, was only 29 years old.

we definitely need the sun for vitamin D and just to make us happy and all that, but i think it’s better to be safe than sorry. i think organic/natural sunscreens during peak sun hours is always a good idea, at least in places like LA where the sun is particularly strong and you can literally FEEL it COOKING you. and don’t forget old fashioned sun screen—hats, parisols/ umbrellas, and lightweight jackets/ long sleeves. that’s about as natural as it gets!

melaverde—scare tactics like that to keep people afraid of the sun are totally absurd!

• oh and i still burn if i’m not careful, even eating raw. i’m pretty fair skinned, though.

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Where did I read this.. Maybe in Alyssa Cohen’s book probably. She talked about sun bathing, and that it is good for you. The reason we get things like skin cancer, is due to the toxins leaving our bodies. Combine that with sun burning, and you have some seriously altered skin cells. We have learned, through eating raw, that when we alter our food by cooking it, it can cause cancer. I need the sun. It helps with depression for me, and helps keep my skin nice looking. For a while I actually went tanning because my skin rash was so bad, and it helped dry it up faster in conjunction to eating all raw. Also, without sun, there would be no US! The sun feeds the start of the food chain!

• Well, I am glad to know that there are people out there that agree with me, as far as I am concerned the sun=life (not death), without sun there could be no life on this planet. The explanation that skin cancer can be attributed to climate changes or ozone layer depletion just does not convince me, what about animals? they are not using sunscreens and as far as I know they have no issue with skin cancer. Having said that I believe however that some people, especially those ill or intoxicated, need to be very careful as it may be the trigger for all sorts of troubles.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I love to sun too. I think it is good for us. If our bodies couldn’t handle it to some extent how did we manage to evolve in it?

kedamono – I used to hate the sun too – mostly because it hated me. I was very pale and I wouldn’t tan at all – I would crisp up. I used to dread the summers and weather for shorts because kids would call me “ghost” I was so pale. Of course, this worked to my advantage when I got a bit older and hung out at the goth nightclubs. I was quite popular with the male goths who had a fetish for pale skin (there is a word for that I forgot what it is) esp since my hair was lighter – I kinda stood out amongst all those girls with the dark dyed hair and white makeup. ha ha!

Once I left the goth lifestyle behind and I got more in raw and natural living though, I found that I craved to be tan and out in the sun and after a lifetime of being pale – I was gonna be tan damn it! and to my surprise I found out I could be now. I stopped using chemical on my body and used coconut oil and ate lots of tropical fruits before i went out in the sun. I also started nude sunbathing and that helped too – getting sun on areas of me that never got any sun before in my life!

And yes, I burned the first few times but the more raw I ate the better my consecutive times were and now I tan beautifully. We moved to Northern Cali and it always sunny where we are and I sit by the pool (in my string bikini) and soak it up. I never get pink anymore.

saraw – Alissa Cohen talks about sunblock and screen cause cancer in one of her Radio Pods. I think it is number 3. It is really quite illuminating and makes sense. Alissa is nice and tan and you can see from her pictures and she using no sunscreen. http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podcasts/39752