Agave/tamari dead foods.

Hi Guys,

After reading the dead food list, I am really eager to eliminate these foods. I am finding that Agave and Tamari are the hardest to replace. The only logical step in replacing agave would be raw honey, but I’m not sure whether I am able to consciously eat honey due to my beliefs. Tamari, on the other hand, has me baffled. I am super super keen to get rid of these 2 main products for many reasons. I think agave does funny things to my tummy and Tamari is way to salty…even though I am addicted to it, I am trying hard to ween myself off high salt.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks heaps and happy rawing!!!

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey zochen,

Agave is easy. Just make some Date butter or Date syrup. To make Date Butter just fill your Food Processor with dates and run it until all smooth and creamy. Date syrup is the same except use a Blender with some water instead of a Food Processor. The trick is finding good dates you want dates that are still soft, not re-softened and especially not re-hydrated with oil. They don’t have to be expensive Dates just try to get them somewhat fresh (still soft). Try looking in foreign food shops or enquire around online.

Tamari, Soy sauce, Braggs and Shoyu can also be replaced easily by the leftover juice from marinating mushrooms in Olive Oil, Salt and optionally one or more of these, minced Garlic, Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar or Splash of Lemon Juice. If you want a recipe to start with try this one… *http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1668-Better-Mari…

I hope that helps.

Lovebows, Chris

• Wonderful. Thanks Chris. That’s two more crossed off the list. The dates I buy are from a Germany organic chain which in my opinion is great. The dates are very soft and very fresh but they do come from Iran. The distance they travel doesn’t bother me too much as I buy all my other fruit and veg from the farmer’s market.

Thanks again…by the way, your sweet chili sauce rocks!!!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

The ones we use are from Iran as well. They sell at the Indian (eastern) shop for