? about dehydrator!

Question: is there other ways to dehydrate foods without a deydrator?? My oven’s lowest setting is 170, so that won’t work. Unless maybe a toaster oven.. Does anyone own one with a low enough setting on it?? urgh.

Comments

• FeeFee Raw Master

Do you have an airing cupboard? That might work but would take a while. Whereabouts do you live? If you live somewhere with sun you could dehydrate in the sun.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

1) You can try to still use your oven…keep the door cracked, put a thermometer in there to gauge the temp and keep your eye on it. Open the door more fully when needed (this isn’t always fun during the summer, mind you, because it can heat up the kitchen). AND/OR you may have to alternate between turning the oven on and off to help keep a low temperature.

2) Dehydrate in the sun. Use trays with your food on it and cover with a mesh type screen to keep critters off.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• I agree with the idea of drying in the sun – especially now that it’s summertime. I wouldn’t recommend using the oven for no other reason than it’s a terrible waste of electricity/gas. Good luck.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

There is a toaster oven out there that goes down low enough (under 112F)... or at least someone said they had one. BUT, I have not been able to find it in the U.S. for sale. You may have to call around and ask.