How do you get back on track?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

This mostly goes out to those who have SAD eaters in the house. Lately I cannot stop eating popcorn! I either make a nice organic pop w/ coconut oil or I buy the great stuff in the red bag—can’t remember the name. I wonder how do I just stop eating it when it’s in the house?! I buy it for my teens and I eat it! I’ve tried not buying it, which works better for me and then they complain when it’s not in the house. I have the whole food hangover thing when I eat it so why do I keep going there? I wonder how many 100% raw fooders have these challenges with SAD food in the house. Will I only be able to stay 100% when these kids go off to college?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

oh that is rough. yeah that would be tough to have around. with my husband, it was corn chips. yikes! but he finally stopped eating it. I suggest you not make it FOR them (develops independence anyway) and when they are eating it, help yourself to a really great raw treat that you only have on these occasions. then after they come back, make them buy it themselves. (sorry you can tell i have issues with parents who enable their teenage kids, i have a brother who still can’t cook at age 25 because my mom does it for him.)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have usually caved into things like this because I thought it would be easier. I was hungry, the popcorn smelled good & tasted salty, and nothing else was ready to eat. I felt AWFUL afterward, but a week later it was tempting me again. I talked out loud to my mom about it, and I took the time to make a big salad instead. I realized that I hadn’t really wanted the popcorn – I enjoyed the salad a lot more – but it was convenient. I have learned that it is important for me to make raw foods more convenient. Now, if my son asks for popcorn and I am hungry, he has to wait until I make/get something for myself first. Dumb thing is, when I read that you put coconut oil on their popcorn, I started thinking “that sounds good; I’ve never tried it with COCONUT oil…” I guess I’m glad you just wrote about it instead of showing up at my door with a big bowl of it :P I need to eat now, I suppose :D

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks, you guys. Bitt-you are talking to the Mom of 3 of the most independent teens. They have made their own school lunches since they were 5, they all work and manage their own phone/texting bills, etc., etc. They make their own meals with the exception of dinner. They are not raw and will likely never be, though one is strictly vegan. If I don’t make the healthier popcorn, they’ll just go to their friend’s houses and eat chips from GM potatoes.I’m the one making it and buying it so they don’t go for the worst of foods. I need to close the pantry door. There’s nothing in there for me! I guess my point was to wonder why I keep going there—if anyone else keeps going to the same addictive food even when the body screams, “No more!” It’s not about my kids. I’m owning my own mindless and destructive choices.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Izhpt—you are so right. That is true there are much worse things than popcorn. It must be really hard to manage such a big family and I really admire your strength. For one of your kids to feel safe enough to be vegan really says a lot about how supportive you are. sorry to project what I have seen other parents do onto you. That’s not fair, sorry.

It must be really hard to stay raw amid so much other food. My husband keeps making sweet potatoes which look so yummy and I think “oh just one bite won’t hurt” but then I stop myself. it’s the hardest for me when I am tired or I have less food around. So I think being proactive and having lots of good raw supplies on hand is what helps me.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Blessings to the Jalapeno Corn Chip author yesterday! Maybe I’m craving corn because it’s in season! So thankful for a delicious recipe! The little vegan is dedicated, Bitt. She is also a wealth of information—I watched her give a 30 min “how to” to her hair dresser this week! All those ladies were saying, “I wish I could do that!” She is a mother’s helper for a vegan mom in the neighborhood w/ 2 little babies. They have great meals together and the Mom tells me she is learning from this 11 year-old that maybe Silk Soymilk isn’t the best for her babies! AAArgh! My now 11 year-old grew breasts at the age of 6 from being my “soy baby”! The greatest thing was when we went back to the pediatrician 3 months later after eliminating all soy and all dairy and the breast buds were gone! Still no period (thank goodness) and she’s made it to 11.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Izhpt: I’m right there with you (minus the kids part :)) I keep being unable to stop eating blue corn tortilla chips and pasta.. two staples around my house as my husband is a vegetarian but not raw. I’m always feeling crappy after eating chips yet I just can’t resist!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Maybe we need the nutrition from corn? I love fresh corn, cut from the cob, stirred up with veggies & a little salt & sometimes oil. I have also made raw corn tortillas before, so I’m thinking I’ll make some this fall & freeze them to eat until next year’s fresh corn.