A Couple Questions

Hey guys,

I’ve been vegan for a while now. I feel great. Thanks everyone. This site has been pretty helpful. I’ve been reading around a bit and found this. Just thought I’d share. I’m sure some of you know about him already. http://drmcdougall.com/index.html

He actually recommends a roughly 80/10/10 carb/protein/fat ratio. I’ve logged my diet on fitday.com for several days, and am surprised how naturally I gravitate towards that ratio!

Anyway, here are my questions.

1. The hardest thing to deal with is my social life. I’m getting lots of “why do you eat like a rabbit?”s and “man, why can’t you just enjoy life a little?”s. And I’ve already given up trying to explain that “clean” feeling to them. So how do you guys deal with things like eating out?

2. Can any of you recommend some good books about blood pH level for me to read? I’ve been pretty interested in that lately, and google just doesn’t cut it. And on Amazon, I’ve only been able to find diet books. I’m looking for a largely informative book, not a book telling me what to eat.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Jason

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

as for eating out… i either meet up with friends at places other than restaurants, eat before i go, or order a salad. i’d rather kayak/hike/bike with friends than sit around with food anyway. i say i eat raw because it tastes better. that surprises people!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi, nice to meet you here! I found that at the beginning I was worried about people’s reaction to my rawness, but as I got more confident with it, my worries went away, and my being raw isn’t an issue for me and so it isn’t an issue for anyone else. And as I let go of the worry, I stopped attracting awkward situations to myself!

I also found that making lovely recipes and sharing them with cooked friends and family stopped the silly questions, once they tried my food and found out it wasn’t all carrots and lettuce they ‘got it”. My non raw brother even made the whole family a 3 course raw vegan meal when we went to visit, they have become quite intregued by the whole thing really.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Don’t try to over-explain it to people. Just say you tried it and it makes you feel better, so why quit? Tell them you enjoy life better when you feel good. Mostly they are probably just jealous of your willpower and resolve and you are making them uncomfortable with their unhealthy diet. Then live by example. And invite them over to uncook with you.

No PH ideas. There might be something on this site:

www.livingnutritionals.com