EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!

I started crew today. I am 13 and the last time I had a good workout I was 9 and in gymnastics. I am raw now, have tons of energy and good endurance to run with and stuff. Yet today was my first day of training and I went on the ergo meter and rode a bit then did 500 meters in 2 minutes and 11 seconds. I felt fine afterward. My butt was a little sore and I was out of breath. The state average is 1 minute and 50 seconds so I don’t feel bad since I haven’t worked that hard for 4 years. But anyway, back to the point on hand. Coach was talking to us and we walked about 100 meters. When we were standing and talking, my stomach started to feel strange and I thought I might throw up. (By the way, all I had for breakfast is a mango, practice started at 7 am) I felt fatigued by now and my vision got a bit blurry and white. I was tired and sat down. Then laid down and coach asked me to open my eyes. I did but I was so tired I laid back down and fell asleep. Well I thought. I had a dream, can’t remember about what but that isn’t really relevant. Next thing I know I am awake and coach is hovering over me asking me questions. I suppose I was only out for a few minutes but I still passed out. I fainted supposedly. Why do you think this is? Crew is supposed to be the third hardest sport behind swimming and cross country. Still though, I was always in shape. Why do you think I fainted? What do you think I should do?

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Were you nauseous? Aside from really needing to fuel your workouts, Mango has made me VERY nauseous on occasion and I don’t eat it before my workouts. The passing out is entirely different. What went in for food the night before? A great resource with lots of excellent reading material on raw athletics is www.organicathlete.org You’re talking about having the fuel/carbs for a sprint. Organic athlete has some great ideas for raw sports drinks. It might not be a bad idea to have your fasting glucose checked. Start slowly with your workouts. Breathe. Raw at 13! Wonderful! Keep reading great raw resources. You’ll find what works for your workouts.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

There’s another website you can check out about a raw athlete: http://www.runningraw.com/ Tim gives specific instructions on how to prepare for an athletic event as a raw foodist, and what to do afterwards to recover. I’m no athlete but from what I read of his practices you need a lot more than a mango for fuel. He explains how the carbs and sugars are used by your muscles and even the timing of when to eat. He does some extreme running so you may find it helpful considering how demanding your sport sounds.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

I just read a news article about marathoners who do this at around mile 20. They feel fine then all of a sudden it is like they “hit a wall” and get drop dead tired. What happens is they depleat their glycemic stores. The remedy is to ingest some sugary carbs (banana or coconut water) and within minutes you will pick back up again. This sounds like what happened to you.

I would recommend eating a large carb breakfast and bring some banana water (water blended with a banana) and/or coconut water with you and continually hydrate.

• Okay guys. Thanks for your help but I was talking to my coach and he said the two most likely reasons for me fainting is because of the quick decrease in blood pressure due to changing from a strenuous workout to standing still and because I locked my knees. Apparently, locking your knees is really back because it stops blood flow. He said I stopped sweating and I don’t know about you but it is HOT outside in Florida right now. Looks like I’m okay as far ass calories and such. Thanks for the links. I am going to certainly check them out!!! :)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

That does sound rather scary. You can be in the best shape, but just one mango for breakfast probably is not nearly enough for that kind of work-out. It’s also important to drink a lot of water in a hot/humid climate like Florida.

Be very careful as you do not wish to have heat exhaustion or worse – heat stroke. According to medicine.net:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm
    Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

• nausea,
    • vomiting,
    • fatigue,
    • weakness,
    • headache,
    • muscle cramps and aches, and
    • dizziness.

Some individuals can develop symptoms of heat stroke suddenly and rapidly without warning.

Different people may have different symptoms and signs of heat stroke. But common symptoms and signs of heat stroke include:

• high body temperature
    • the absence of sweating, with hot red or flushed dry skin
    • rapid pulse
    • difficulty breathing
    • strange behavior
    • hallucinations
    • confusion
    • agitation
    • disorientation
    • seizure
    • coma”

Take care!

• yeah, that definitely sounds like a heat stroke or heat exhaustion. that happened to me last summer when i was doing a master cleanse. eating more fruits and veggies and/or a green smoothie in the morning might help. that much exertion is really hard on someone who ate very little for breakfast!

• Natural Vegan—What your coach said makes sense. I did that once in a yoga class. Started with a sitting pose on my knees for awhile, then stood up. I didn’t pass out, but I felt really dizzy and could hardly keep standing (and doing the other poses) for the next few minutes. I should have sat down or gotten some water, but I knew it was from cutting off some circulation in my legs and getting up so quickly. My legs were a bit numb.