Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kombucha Experiment Help Please?!?!?

waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My goal is yogurt, raw vegan yogurt. I have some GT’s Organic Raw Kombucha that I just can’t drink more than a sip. So not wanting to throw it out, why can’t it be used to make yogurt? Any ideas for a recipe? Yogurt is the only SAD animal product I miss, all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

i think Ani Phyo has a arw vegan yogurt in her book. I’ll check for you.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Izhpt… That would be sooooo nice of YOU!!!

Would anyone know anything about using the Kombucha as a probiotic to ferment nuts or seeds into a yogurt???

Ok, I bit the bullett and processed a cup of cashews as fine as possible then added a half cup of kombucha and let the container sit out on the counter… My home is air conditioned so the kitchen isn’t too warm… This morning I could see bubbles throughout the tofu,cheese,yogurt mixture… Tonight I have a larger amount in the container… It looks like I have a white cheese growing… I wanted a yogurt type of concoction, but have no idea what I have… LOL

Any ideas what I have and what to do with it to make it usable???

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

WATERBABY – What you have is a science experiment. LOL.

I applaud your sense of adventure. Have you tasted it yet? Maybe you could call your local extension office and get hooked up with someone who can give you guidance. Better yet, why don’t you call the company that made your Kombucho and talk to someone there. I am always amazed at what people in a company know about their products based on experiments they try. Let us know how it comes out.

Meditating, I just checked the container and the top was about to blow… LOL I opened it and WOW what a fabulous aroma!!! “Sour dough bread rising” It tastes like a sour dough too!!! Yummie!!! What a great idea to call the company, thanks for that idea!!! I will do that tomorrow if at all possible… I’m now thinking about a dehydrated sour dough bread or cracker, what do you think???

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

soooooo? did the sourdought thingy work? sounds really good…. if we dont hear from you im assuming that it killed you and wont try it! teehee

Omshanti~ How funny you are!!! LOL yes I think it’s going to work… I put some of it into the cream cheese recipe and it tastes wonderful… I’m getting ready to make some sourdough crackers, doesn’t that sound good??? The only thing that is holding me up is I can’t decide what herbs would taste good with the sourdough flavor…. Decisions, deciions what’s a girl to do??? LOL

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I would use oregano. I have never do raw vegan sourdough, but i was just dreaming with the taste of your experiment while reading the thread, and when you have ask about what to put in it, i have thought inmediately A LOT OF OREGANO!

Sometines, like now, it seems to me that I’m a little crazy…

Anngoingraw~ Sure why not Oregano, I have some just outside growing… Great idea, Thanks!!! You don’t seem crazy to me but then I’ve always said… Being a little bit crazy, keeps us all from going insane!!! LOL

I brought in Greek Basil, Lemon Basil, Rosemary and Thyme but thought they all might be too strong for the “sour” factor so I have been sitting here pondering…. LOL

:) I like that point of view!

Basil sounds a good idea too (i’ve only know one kind of basil… and don’t know if it is greek or lemon…) and for Rosemary and Thyme I agree, maybe they are too strong too.

o-re-ga-no! o-re-ga-no! :))

OK!!! Oregano it is!!! LOL

Yippee!!!

Tell us how it come out!

Oh my goodness, I am so excited… It’s in the convection oven on 115 degrees… The aroma is intoxicating… I made Raw Sourdough Oregano Biscuits and Crackers…

Have you eat some????

I’m thinking that perhaps I could make this with rejuvelac. By the way, you use your oven for dehydrate? It comes out well? I’ve not a dehydrator and the oven could be an option.

im off to buy regular kombucha today!!! and im gonna use my fav nut that i can get truelly raw here in CA out of the shell, macadamias! thanks for the science experiment Waterbaby! i have been wanting to dehydrate something lately and havent been inspired enough! but sourdough? wowo!

anngoingraw~ my oven is a counter top CONVECTION oven not a regular stove oven type… And yes I have eatten some and they are wonderful and so are the crackers!!! I only had a small amout of fresh oregano so I can’t taste it… I have tried to post the recipe with a photo 3 times today and had to give it up with the photo… :(

omshanti~ I used GT’s Organic Rqw Kombucha Original, Good Luck!!! Oh my, I believe I will do it again with my mac’s… Great idea, thanks!!!

thanks for sharing! I have copied your recipe. I have an electrical oven in which temperature can be controled (don’t know if it is very accurate). I’ll try to dehydrate something easy in smal quantity and see if it comes out well.

EDIT: I have not coconut oil, do you think olive oil would be too strong?

I think olive oil will work, can’t imagine why not… :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

For the yogurt, you might want to try fermenting coconut (like the young coocnut meat if you have it) with a probiotic – it should turn sour – more like yogurt. Yogurt is basically milk with bacterias that have been fermented anyhow. Add some fruit too! It should take two days (depending on how warm your house is) for it to ferment.

I don’t know if you have tried that yet. I make raw sour cream all the time with just cashews and probiotic turns out super sour. I think the coconut would work better for the yogurt because it is sweeter. I just bought two young coconuts so I think I will try it out later. I’ll crack open one and ferment the meat and see how it turns out. :) I am not a big yogurt person myself but I like making new stuff. :)

Thank you so much for the sour dough bread recipe! I can’t wait to try it – if it tastes like sourdough I will seriously be on a cloud!

For the yogurt, you might want to try fermenting coconut (like the young coocnut meat if you have it) with a probiotic – it should turn sour – more like yogurt. Yogurt is basically milk with bacterias that have been fermented anyhow. Add some fruit too! It should take two days (depending on how warm your house is) for it to ferment.

I can’t wait to try your bread recipe – if it tastes like sourdough I will seriously be on a cloud!

Gueenfluff~ YOU are welcome!!!

So far I haven’t been able to get young coconuts here in Kentucky… My GF Coop says maybe we will have some in August… So I’m waiting…......

Thanks for the yogurt ideas, I really appreciate all suggestions!!!

BTW I have mac’s soaking in the kombucha now as I thought they might make a nice yogurt… If not, there will be more sour dough biscuits in the oven Wednesday… LOL

• Be careful with that stuff, Waterbaby.

One makes kombucha with a S.C.O.B.Y a Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and YEAST. Making seed cheese with acidophilus is OK since it uses the same “friendly” bacteria our digestive systems incorporate. Yeast, however, is not something you want to promote in your system AT ALL. Hats off to your enthusiasm and willingness to experiment, but from my experience I’d say your playing with fire!

Kombutcha cultures are really touchy they have been bred over centuries to eat a very specific diet. Tea and sugar. Mess with that formula and you start getting sick scobys and weird fermenting/rotting stuff that sure ain’t kombucha. If the stuff in your dehydrator smells like sourdough bread, then the yeasts (bad) have probably killed off most of the bacteria (potentially good) and you have a raw food intestinal disaster waiting to happen in there.

With cooked sourdough bread the yeasts get killed off by the heat, but in your case, they are alive and well and will keep right on reproducing inside you. It may not make you “sick” but It will at best, in my opinion, bring on some low energy, sugar craving days ahead, as well as setting the stage for some serious internal yeast issues if consumed more than once or twice or in any largish quantity. Throw that stuff out!!!

Personally, I don’t do kombucha at all anymore. It gets my heart racing for hours! I miss the bubbles, but “living” or not, in addition to the “good’ aspects of it, it is still mostly sugar, caffeine, and yeasts. Not things I would eat on their own.

• Oh… and as far as your yogurt goes, you want Kefir grains (starter) to get things going….

http://www.lifeway.net/product/starter.php

All The Best :)

timothy my understanding is that the sugar and caffiene is eaten by the scoby leaving only trace amounts behind…my heart has never raced dinking kombucha, and it is a very sensative little organ, racing after half a cup of decaf coffee or even one cup of tea at the sushi bar!

Not sure about this new advice Timothy as I don’t want to cultivate yeast in my system… But will tell you I’ve had no “bad” symptoms that you described… Thank goodness, as the sourdough taste wonderful…. :}

Omshanti~ I too do not have heart symptoms after ingesting kombucha tea…

The macadamias did not grow like the cashews did… Boo hoo!!! Too much oil I think…

Timothy~ Thanks for the link for kefir but to my knowledge it is made from cow mild cultures and I don’t want to ingest any animal products… That’s one of the reasons for my experiment…

• The yeasts in a healthy kombucha culture, the schizosacharomycodes, are not in the same family as those that cause candida, nor are the yeasts in kefir, Saccharomyces florentinus and Leuconostoc cremoris . Since yeasts and mushrooms produce antibiotics to ward off competitors, they can each help to combat candida issues internally. I urged caution because in my experience, kombucha is much more fussy than keifer when it comes to what it likes to eat to stay healthy and in my estimation runs a higher risk of fostering unwanted yeast strains when used to culture anything other than sugar and tea. However, it may be just fine. Like you said, you had no problems whatsoever… Sounds tasty!... but be cautious.

As far as dairy goes, if you are that sensitive to dairy I can understand. Same with me n’ the “trace” amounts of caffeine and sugar (about 5mg and 1/2 teaspoon in a 8 oz serving of gt’s level of sweetness brew, 8 oz of brewed green tea has about 15mg) I’ll have to try it again soon… it’s just the last few times I have had any from a batch that wasn’t REALLY dry I’m up all night.

If you are avoiding dairy to remove your self from the use of animals and animal products ( a noble cause ) I’d point out that the healthy and happy fields that grow most of our our vegan vegetables, are kept healthy by being fertilized with animal poo from farming animals. I soooooo don’t intend to be argumentative, just hoping to give you a reason to cut yourself some slack and make some seed kefier :)

Check out what Gabriel Cousens has to say ‘bout the whole thing… Missing the first page about kefir, but here is most of it go to page 395

http://books.google.com/books?id=7NQYFlwT56QC&p…,M1

• Yeah ladies, I’ve been brewing my own kombucha and I’ve never experience sleep problems after drinking it. BTW, I’m caffeine intolerant, even after chocolate taken after 4pm keeps me awake at night!

Timothy has a point on contamination though. Just make sure you use clean jars and hands during preparation to prevent the contamination, and I’m sure it’ll be fine ;)

I have been giving away the ‘mothers’ to friends and they are all loving it! The drink is really full of nutrients and I use as a supplement whenever I’m sleep deprived, its a great tonic.

I did an experiment yesterday where I fermented some young coconut meat with probiotic and added some sweetener and irish moss. It actually tastes sort of like yoghurt! It has a sour sweet taste. I’ll post the recipe when I get a chance.

I also tried it with dried coconut but it didn’t turn out as good but than I didn’t soak my coconut flakes very long. I think if you could make a thick coconut milk with the flakes it would ferment into a yoghurt like taste.

waterbaby, it took the macadamias longer to bubble and i blended mine into a paste that then rose like bread dough, it smelled fine it tasted fine…i refridged it after the rising started. i made a cracker with jicama and chia instead of flax, but my system has been screwed up since surgery a while ago and the whole thing did not sit well with me…it could be jsut the fact that i havent had nuts or dehydrated foods all summer… anyhoo, timothy thanks for the info