Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Stinky Me

AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Before you read any further, I will warn you this is TMI ;0)

All my life I needed to use men’s deodorant because women’s just didnt’ work. I thought this problem would clear up on the raw diet but so far, no luck. it isn’t like I am constantly eating garlic or onions. but let me tell ya, when it is hot outside even the mens “clinical strength” doesn’t work well. i would love to get away from the paraben and aluminum deodorants. I tried some natural lavendar one and…um, no, didn’t work.

anyone have any suggestions???

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have the same problem. I am just REALLY sweaty. it isn’t so much the stink but the moisture. I pour buckets of it. Other family members have this so I assume its in the genes. So I don’t have so many answers but just support. My husband has used that crystal stuff but it does not work for me.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Same here!! I asked my ob-gyn if it was hormonal so she tested me – no problems. So I’ve gone old school with patchouli, now I know what it’s for! I was surprised how many people love it.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Have you tried Lavalin? It’s a natural deodorant you only need to use about once every 3-5 days. I’ve used it for years. I’m not very smelly or sweaty, but it works for me.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I use the crystal stuff and it works most of the time, but whenever I fast or do the master cleanse LOOK OUT! I get really smelly. Part of the detox. Rank breath too.

• JDJD

Ok not for nothing, I just bought a deoderant yesterday by Desert Essence with Tea Tree oil and Lavander…that junk does not work at all. I stunk so bad yesterday I couldn’t stand myself.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I think it could possibly depend on the length of time raw-when I am detoxing candida, I totally stink! I’m like Bitt-suffered miserably with hyperhydrosis (not so much smelly) palms, pits, feet. It is amazingly well-managed on a raw diet. Considering I’m touching people all day, i’m sooo thankful. One intersting point-I use a large piece of equipment for excerise at work called the GYROTONIC(www.GYROTONIC.com). It is extremely detoxiying as the movements are all arching and curling the spine and spiralling type yogic movements. I always joke that it is relatively quiet movement, but I STINK when I’m done with the arch and curl series-detox and “peetox” freeing up those kidneys! Fruit, fruit and more fruit along with your leafys! Keep on, keeping on.

• Amysue… how do you use patchouli… directly on your underarms?? I am interested! :)

• I use the crystal deodorant bar. It looks just like a bar of clear soap and lasts for about 6 hours.

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

I have been expecting the “no stink” thing to kick in, as we’ve been raw for about 7 months, but so far it hasn’t happened. I’ve tried about a dozen “natural” deodorants without much success. Well, I stumbled across this recipe for homemade deoderant last week on another blog, and I can tell you that I am floored. It is working! Amazing! It felt good to make my own stuff as well…

3 Tablespoons shea butter 3 Tablespoons baking soda 2 Tablespoons corn starch (I’m sure you could use arrowroot, but I had some cornstarch lying around from my cooking days, so I used that…) 2 Tablespoons cocoa butter 2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil)—I didn’t have any of this so I used a bit of sweet almond oil Essential Oil (I used ylang yang and orange)

I gently heated up all of the ingredients except the essential oils, stirred then added the oils. I poured it in an old glass, wide-mouthed jar I had laying around…I believe it made about 6 ounces. Stuck it in the fridge for just a bit to harden up and viola. I’ve only been using it for 3 days but so far so good.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

beepsandclicks—can you post that recipe here? then i can save it to my recipes. I think many folks would be interested in that.

Here’s a video I found last night for the “best natural deoderant ever” which is along the lines of beepsand clicks’ recipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbqjEm0Eho It’s just baking soda. I like the video, it’s very convincing with a little demonstration – helpful – so I’m trying it today. I have to say, I’m wearing a halter and there is a slight white ring under my arms even though she says it won’t show. So far at 1:23 it’s still working. I’m thinking on a hot sticky day like today I might need a double dose.

RawSarah – yes under the arms!! I figure the heat under there will diffuse the scent the best. It’s very funny the reactions I get, some people know what it is, some people love it, and some people just can’t place what the smell is and where it’s coming from. I’ve seen people looking for “burnt chocolate” or “pepper” and I can’t bring myself to tell them it’s the patchouli under my arms! It’s better than someone saying, “Who stinks?!”

• Amysue… that is too funny. :) I am assuming you are using essential oil with patchouli in it? I am going to try that!

Ok, hot day, put on the baking soda in the morning and now at 9:15 I’m fairly fresh, was actually really fresh until dinnertime, that’s pretty cool. Did nothing to keep me dry but dealt with the stink.

RawSarah – it’s the straight essential oil. I had to take the stopper off the top because it took too long to drip out. It has to be strong because the owner of our local organic farm noticed it from across the counter, and being an organic farmer he liked it of course.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

OMG!! I used to have to use men’s deodorant all the time! But now that I eat raw, I only have to use this mineral salt deodorant that you just get wet and then rub on your underarms. sometimes they smell if I eat cumin, though. :P

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

lzhpt— Do you mean post to the recipe section of this site? (I’m a bit slow on the uptake lately….sleep deprived!) :-)

• I’ve noticed that since I’ve gone raw, I haven’t had a need to use any deodorant at all! I also notice that when I eat even just one meal I start to smell a little. I still sweat a lot, but no smell now.

By the way, Lush has very good deodorant. I used to use it when I wasn’t raw and it worked very well.

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

You could try the stainless steel trick I mentioned in this thread. You can even buy stainless steel ‘deodorant sticks’ now. You may find you need to reuse it a couple of times a day, but that’s no hassle.

• you could also rub your pits on your stainless steel sink or sink fixtures! seriously, save money! i read once about people buying stainless steel bars for $20-$25 each to rub their fingers on after handling garlic to get the stink off…. then the thought was thrown out there, just rub your stinky fingers, (or in this case pits) on your stainless sink or fixtures. lol.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

For those here that do not know…

Do not use regular deodorant AT ALL. Among all of its chemicals and such, it has aluminum in it and it will clog the pores with this toxic metal.

I read about a bar of salt, or whatever, That is said to work…never tried it yet.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

My mother was an alzheimer’s patient. When I ran across research that said autopsies of Alzheimer’s patients showed large quantities of aluminum, I removed all known aluminum from my home. Deodorant, foil, cookware, soda cans (before RAW), anything I knew had aluminum in it. I tried a couple of “organic” deodorants before I found the salt stick. It’s the most effective deodorant I’ve ever used, even before going RAW.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have always considered myself to have monster funk. I am with Greenie – Lavalin really works and you only apply it every few days. However, for the past several months I have been slicing a lemon and rubbing the juice under my arms. Sometimes it would irritate my skin so now I puff on some cornstarch after applying the lemon and I have no problems. It doesn’t irritate and it keeps monster funk away. I store my weekly half of a deodorant lemon in the fridge door in an egg cubby.

• I had the same problem!!! I used to not eat onions or garlic, because I didn’t like them…anywhoo, even while eating clean and simple foods I experienced body odor.

It ended up going away after a while on it’s own…but that doesn’t help you right now does it? No.

Well, here I am, loving onions and garlic in my salads and other recipes…and I’m back to smelling again!!!

I recently bought something called a “crystal stick” much like shgadwa mentioned. It’s a mineral stick that is hard and you put it on after you get out of the shower to moisten the stick…so far so good! It works pretty well! I get a faint faint barely-there smell now…I got it for $7 or $8 at Whole Foods. It says it lasts for over a year! I believe it, since the stick is pretty big. A great investment!

• Lady Le HarleLady Le Harle Raw Newbie

I stopped using deodorant about about two months ago. I go all day without smelling, then by the late afternoon I can pick up a very ‘natural’ scent, haha. My friends at work say that I dont smell at all. I add essential oils to a body moisturiser a few times a week – mandarin, lavender, sometimes geranium and peppermint. I make sure I give my armpits a good gentle massage and dose of yummy oils. I think we are meant to have our own natural earthy smell!

• I think I have tried almost every natural deodorant over the past ten years. Some didn’t work at all and others had to be reapplied mid day as I live in the hot South. I finally found a deodorant from Miessence that has organic ingrediants, no aluminum, and WORKS all day!

• I also have extremely smelly underarms and have tried the crystal stick and many natural deodorants which worked in the beginning of the day but by noon, I was stinky again. I tried the lemon slice and it worked most of the day. All of them failed to keep the stink away when I perspired alot. The only thing that works for me is baking soda. I put a little amount in a small container and add a little bit of spring water and mix with my finger to make a watery paste. Then I apply it to my underarms with my fingers. I make a new batch every morning. It works great, even when i have been sweating under the sun or exercising, and I need only one application in the morning.