Homemade raw almond butter w/out dehydrator?

Hi everyone, I bought some raw almonds to make almond butter, not realizing I might need a dehydrator to make it. Has anyone tried to soak almonds and make almond butter while they’re still wet? Or, do you think I could dry them outside or something before use?

These almonds cost me $16 (yikes!) so if you have any advice, either about how to make almond butter or another use for them, that would be great.

I have a food processor and a Vitamix blender.

thanks! CJ

Comments

• If you have the book that came with your vitamix, it gives directions on how to make nut butter …. works great. If you don’t have the book, I’ll look it up for ya.

• Here it is: pg 19 in the vitamix book for raw peanut butter. . They are using 4 1/2 cups of nuts and 3 Tablespoons oil. Put nuts in vitamix. Start with Variable speed #1, quickly go to #10 speed, then to HIGH. Use the tamper to push the nuts into the blades. In 1 MINUTE you will hear a high pitched chugging sound. Once the butter begins to flow freely through the blades, the motor sound will change from a high pitch to a low laboring sound. Stop … and pour into a container.

I usually only use a couple of handfuls of nuts at a time, and put in a drizzle of EVOO (olive oil) to speed it along. I also throw in a pinch or two of salt.

Do not process for over one minute or your could damage the vitamix. Also, I do not soak the nuts prior to making the almond butter, although you could and see how it comes out; or soak and dehydrate them back to a dry state.

• Yep, I have the book! You don’t soak and you don’t feel that’s a problem? I only dabble in raw but I was under the impression you had to soak raw nuts and grains before use…If I don’t have to soak my almonds, then problem solved! :)

• I’ve been 100% raw for 4 years now, and I do soak most nuts in recipes and such, but when it comes to almond butter, it is usually something I want “right now”, so I simply throw them in and turn them into butter. You could try soaking a couple of handfuls and see how it works out. None of the “rules” of raw food are set in stone … do what works for you, don’t take it too seriously, and have fun in the process.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I have made it both ways, soaked and not with raw almonds. When you soak them it comes out more like a fluffy mousse or frosting consistency-I threw the almonds in with a little water, a little olive oil and some sea salt—but then I ran the vitamix too long and steam came out when I was done, having now cooked my precious almond butter. Tonight I am making it w/ dehydrated almonds so we shall see-Kristen’s recipe. When I make it without soaking the nuts, I have to add a LOT of oil to get things to move in the food processor. You can get raw almonds in bulk from www.almonds-from-california.com (see post from last week) They are truly raw as they sprout after soaking them. I got 10 pounds for $59.99-organic and unpasturized.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

You shouldn’t have to add any oil. I don’t… I wonder if your food processor “S” blade needs sharpening? Maybe you’re making too much at once? Start with only 1-2 cups, maybe 3 tops (depending on the size of your food processor.

Still, adding a little oil will still make it creamier and you might enjoy that :)

Cheers! Please keep us posted :)

Kristen Suzanne

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Kristen—I made your recipe with the dehydrated almonds and it was right on the money!. I added a dash of oil to improve the crumbly consistency. I’m sure my S blade is really old and dull. It’s 22 years old! I also made less this time. Thank you for your help.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

YAY!!! So glad I could help :)

Cheers!