Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FREE Designer GREEN BAGS!!!

AziahAziah Raw Newbie

In case you have been hiding under a rock, the world is starting to get a “little greener” by limiting the use of plastic bags. Some countries, such as Ireland, completely banned plastic bags. Seattle is about to implement this as well by imposing a .20 cent fee per plastic bag used.

If you haven’t jumped on the green boat yet, now is your chance. A website is giving away FREE designer green bags. You just pay $4.99 s&h. You get two bags free…and if you want you can order up to two more and not have to pay additional shipping. Great for the style-conscious greenie!

I already purchased Wegman’s reusable bags…but jumped on board for these freebies too. They are great for the beach or any store, really. Get yours too!

http://reusablebagsgiveaway.com/

Comments

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

oops…i guess this should have been under the “talk it up” thread. sorry!

• Thanks though.. I just ordered mine. :)

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

okay. is it just me or is this whole trend of mass manufacturing “green bags” not very green? when i go grocery shopping i just take old tote bags that i have had lying around the house for years. i’ve never once bought a “green bag”. it seems very wasteful to use resources to create all of these new products for people to buy when i’m POSITIVE everyone has a perfectly fine old tote somewhere that will carry groceries just as efficiently as the one mass produced and marketed as “green” at whole foods. it’s very ironic to me.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I hope you haven’t been dupped out of $4.99 not to mention them now having your credit card number and whatever else information they may have asked for… I have old tote bags too that I use but was curious as to what these looked like, so I took a peek and when I saw the red poka dots I became suspicious and clicked on the button to purchase… My security system would not let me go there and stated, “This is a fake website”... So be aware and if your bags do not show up or you see charges on your credit card you didn’t make… Contact the Federal Trade Commission…. I have their email address if you guys want it so you will be prepared… Sure hope my system is wrong for your sake!!!!

• KelleyS, I totally see where you are coming from, but we need to keep in mind that everyone is different. It’s great if you have old bags around that you can use (and definitely more “green”), but this may not be the case for everyone. For example, I purchased about 10 reusable bags about 2 years ago because I wanted to reduce my plastic bag usage AND I did not have any tote bags of my own. That may be hard to believe, but its true, so I am sure it is true for many other people as well. I have used those reusable bags SOOOOO many times since then, so am I going to feel guilty for buying a “green” bag? No, because even though it initially required additional consumption, it overall lowered my consumption and waste SIGNIFICANTLY. Also, sometimes the bags that are overtly marketed as “green” bags can serve as a conversation piece. Rarely will people ask about a regular tote bag, but they may ask about my bags that say “Plastic Bags Blow.” I can then explain to them why I carry these bags instead of plastic ones. Then they may be inspired to do so themselves. And on and on it goes…Anyway, that’s just the way I think about it! :-)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i see what you mean everyone. i try to hang onto my tote bags but after 10 years some seem to get lost or get holes in it. I wish I had a sewing machine so I could make my own. But for folks that have been using plastic for years, I think getting one cool bag that will last them 10 years is worth it.

BTW, what is it with those cashiers who shove everything in a plastic bag before you even pay? It’s like I have to take stuff out of the bag and put it in my backpack. it’s especially bad when I have just a small item like fish food and I hardly would even need a bag. I get so frustrated with them.

• yay seattle!!! I am so proud of us!

• I used my Paypal account, so they don’t have any of my info. :) My computer is on high alert for spam and such, and mine didn’t pop up with a fake website warning.. I have never even heard of that and I am married to a computer tech??

I have been needing some bags, so this was a great way for me to get some.

ETA.. I just clicked on the link and the free bag that was posted is no longer for sale, so Waterbaby that is probably why you got a warning. :)

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Geez…I hope I haven’t been too. My mcafee site advisor didn’t say anything negative about it. I read several places where people said they got them and the site worked. I wouldn’t post something knowingly fake.

As for the tote bags…I don’t have any so this is a good option for me.

I will post if/when I receive my bags.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

ok well i do agree that it is good to have “green bags” available for those that actually don’t have extra totes, but my point is that they are way over manufactured to the point where it is somewhat wasteful. many people who already have perfectly fine old bags that would work ARE buying them because “being green” is like a fashion statement these days. that’s what bothers me, not people who dont have totes buying them to save bags.

• gypsycowgirlgypsycowgirl Raw Newbie

I agree with you KelleyS: I think we could all benefit from being creative with things we probably already have and recycling them for a different purpose. I think we could all learn from some of the people who went thru the Great Depression and how they learned to be thrifty with everything and not so wasteful. I think we as a society need to use our greatest resource-our brains! Kudos to all who are working to save our environment with new and used bags—and other great ideas!

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Ok..just wanted to let everyone know that I DID get my bags in today. I ordered them on the 11th and received them today on the 14th. No extraranious charges on my card. I am really happy with it. Looks like they posted a new bag that is for free now…all natural colored.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Raw Sarah~ The wording was,”This is not a trusted site and we recommend you leave it”

• Waterbaby.. that is interesting.. I will let you know if I receive my bags. :)

• Instead of putting demands on the environment for shipping these bags from who knows where, go to your local goodwill or thrift store and buy other peoples old totes if you don’t have any of your own laying around! We just use old ones that somehow we’ve collected over the years. the current and trendy “green” movement is very suspicious to me in all respects – beware. some of our ‘green’ products are made and shipped all the way from other parts of the world!

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

If these bags are so green, why aren’t they made of organic cotton?

As for using old bags, our local supermarket was giving away free totes on Earth Day (with their logo on the side, of course), and it took us 7 or 8 goes to convince the cashier that no, we don’t want one. “See, we have rucksacks with us – our shopping goes in there.” She didn’t seem to get that us not taking a free bag was the green option.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

I have been reading everyones opinions here on green bags and I can’t help but interject. I can’t believe there are people on here that are getting “uppity” about green bags.

Yes. I agree that if someone has old totes hanging around the house and they want to use them as “green bags” then that is truly a great option! But for those of us that do not have old totes hanging around the house (and up to this point we have been using plastic/paper bags) then getting a “free green bag” off the internet is a HUGE jump. Just imagine if everyone who used plastic/paper bags would get a couple green bags! Are thrift store totes MORE green?...well yes. In a manner of speaking they are “greener” as they are more recycled…but this shouldn’t be about “who is greener”.

I would just be happy if everyone switched over to a “green bag” regardless if it was a tote from a thrift store or one given away at a grocery store. Both are cutting down on plastic/paper.

Anyway…I didn’t mean to get into this. I just started to take offense at some comments almost like they were “looking down” on people like me who decided to get a free green bag off the net. Maybe I misread them…I hope so. Because this is just like starting to go raw…just switching a couple meals over to all raw is a major improvement over all SAD…and getting a green bag is a major improvement over plastic/paper. JMO.

• aziah, i don’t believe anyone intended to offend you or be “uppity”. I’m so sorry that all of this downplayed your excitement…

In people sharing ideas and thoughts, NO ONE’S journey should come off as being superior. That’s why its called a journey – and no part of it should be thought of as being better, worse, or more achieved. Just simply people offering a range of alternative thoughts. (thats what forums are for, right?) Nor should anyone be accused of thinking they are greener than another. We should all have grace for one anothers thoughts and opinions – even in the midst of respectfully agreeing or disagreeing. and yes, reducing plastics is a major improvement. : )

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Anyone have any ideas about garbage bags? I have always saved my plastic shopping bags and use them for garbage, so I don’t have to buy garbage bags. I bought a reuseable shopping bag & then got a couple for free, but I don’t want to dump stinky garbage in the bin out front with no bag. Seattle has always been better than a lot of places for earth-friendly practices like recycling – hooray!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

good question angie! we are having the same dilemma here with cat box litter, we used to use the plastic grocery bags to scoop used litter into and then tie the handels together and viola….now we use our totes( some old and laying around and some bought at trader joes btw…for grocerys and no longer have little plastic cat poo baggies, hubby is in a state about it not to mention the garbage situation….we still use plastic bags for that….we recycle and alot of our wet scraps go to the chickens but what do we do with the rest? ideas anyone?

• when you shop, occasionally opt for paper sacks and use those for trash bags. it takes a month or less to disintigrate in the landfill. also try compost. have you tried toilet training your cat? i’ve heard of people finding success with this…. for even a family our size, we fill a typical paper grocery sack with trash only once every two or three days.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I don’t have any large bags laying around the house – i was never into collecting bags or anything of the sort. So, i did just order mine. I like these polka dot – very cute ;) $4.99 for 2 reusable bags seems like a great deal. I have 2 that i bought from Target, but they’re not made well. So, i’m going to keep the 2 from target in my car and the other 2 in my house. Thanks for posting this great info! Mamamilk – thanks for the idea of using the brown paper bags as garbage bags. I hope my garbage man will take it. Thanks!!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

i just got my free bags. i have to say, i like the Target bags better (they’re $1.49 each)... they’re very roomy and can be used for a ton of different things. These are nice bags, but they’re kinda narrow.

Aziah – you mention the Wegman’s bags… i have to ask, where are you? I love Wegmans (but not the prices)...