Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Holy Cow!!! I accidently did my first ever sprouting!

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I just had to share this special moment with everyone! ;o)

I’ve been trying to live an easy-going raw lifestyle for about 10 or so months now. I’ve always kept things pretty simple and never really fooled around with soaking or sprouting nuts/seeds just because lack of knowledge at the time (and maybe laziness). But anyhow… I had some raw sunflower seeds that I’ve had sitting in the cabinet for who knows how long so I figured I would try to use them for something. I just assumed that they were “dead” but figured here goes nothing and soaked a handful of them. That was all I was planning on doing with them was soaking them, and then blending them with who knows what to make who knows what (lol)... I was planning to do this last night. Well, guess who got lazy last night and didn’t do anything with the seeds! So I didn’t know what to do with them cause they were wet so I just set them in a strainer on the window sill to dry… Holy shit, they got tails coming out of them now!!! I couldn’t believe it! I guess I just didn’t expect anything to happen!

Wooohooo, I sprouted!!! :)

Comments

• That really made me laugh—good for you coconutty. I remember the first time a tail grew out of some garbanzo beans I was sprouting-I had to call my mother.

• That’s funny Coconutty!

Today I just sprouted my first garbanzo beans and I am so excited about this. I am really nurturing those little babies. And to think that all of this time I thought those dried beans in bags were dead with little nutritional value.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Boy I remember that day as well, my first sprouting! It’s great! Congrats!!!

A word of warning my love affair with the chic pea ended too early for me, so please… Rinse, Rinse, Rinse! You see if they ever go off and you use them in something, you’ll never want to see another chic pea.

They are very nice and filling. Maybe it’s time I gave another batch a go. It’s been over 2 years now. Naw! Zucunni/Sesame Humous is all I need.

• I bought a mixture of legumes to sprout for salads. These were sold especially for sprouting, but just one bite of the sprouts had my stomach paining and aching like crazy. Next day I threw a few in my vegetable blend and same thing happened again. They were well rinsed. I tried them again recently, but I was so afraid of the same thing I ended up throwing them out instead of eating them. Help?!!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’ve read that legumes have some chemical component in them that gives us gas. when cooked, this chemical is destroyed (along with everything else as you might imagine). if you have sensitivity towards legumes i would steer clear.

of course, something that was mentioned to me is the sprouts can develop mould pretty easily. try spraying with some hydrogen peroxide. if it fizzes, it was a good idea. =)

sunflower seeds for sprouts are pretty inexpensive. you could try those instead.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Oh pianissima… you are sooooo wrong about cooked beans… Have you never seen the quintessential campfire scene in the movie “Blazing Saddles”? Them were cooked beans. lol

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I would recommend food-grade hydrogen peroxide. Shouldn’t that be “better” or does it not matter? Either way… I think I’ll stick to food-grade hydrogen peroxide.

• That’s fun! The same thing happened to me when I bought Alfa sprouts, except they were already fine, but I rinsed them and used some and then they started re-sprouting sort of, it was like the miracle of life had happened in my kitchen, I got all religious! It was FUN!

• I just tried sprouting soybeans yesterday to try and make a raw tofu dish. I let you all know how they come out!