made my first raw pie and wel....?????

I have not logged in ,in such a longtime…still eating raw but have not had time. Well…I made my first ever raw pie ….it was a strawberry pie with “frosting” everyone LOVED it however it was a bit thin. I was wondering if anyone has tried something as a thickening ingredient? I love simple foods though and stay away from bannanas. Any thought?

PS I want to make a lemon blueberry pie this coming weekend any suggestions would be most appreciated,thank-you!

Comments

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Psyllium is a good thickener. Raw pies are awsesome!

• i know that irish moss can be used as a thickener. i have not tried it yet myself, but i would really love to hear from someone on here who has used it for raw pies! mine also tend to sort of ‘sink’ as they approach room temperature.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

agar is an excellent thickener! be sure to use it properly – look it up online. Agar is used in Sergei Boutenko’s book fresh as the thickener for pies. glad you’re back!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

flax, avocadoes, nuts? that’s all I can think of.

• Agar-agar would definitely work. You could also try adding a bit of coconut oil into the filling and then let it harden in the frige, although I am not sure how it would taste with the lemon essense. Have you ever used chia seeds? These may also be an option. Best of luck!

• Thank-you to all who responded…..I am on a raw pie marathon trying new things to add, been raw for a while now just needed to try out some pies : ). I will try agar and def. the chia seeds…I keep forgetting to see if they have the seeds at my favorite local health store. My next pie is a lemon blueberry…if all works well I will post!

Irish moss????????What’s that?

• See if this link works… http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/forum…

There are many pie/cake recipes on that blog. I actually just made my first raw cake and it was awesome. Blueberry whitechocolate cheesecake.

Here’s the recipe

Bliss-full Blueberry Cheesecake

Makes one 7 ” cheesecake

Crust: 1/2 cup brazil nuts 1/4 cup almonds 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1 tablespoon cacao or carob powder 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Pinch of salt 2 medjhool dates 1 teaspoon agave nectar

Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor until fine. Add agave and process some more until the mixture just starts to stick together. Press into the bottom of the springform pan.

Filling: 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed) 1 cup dry cashews, finely ground 5 tbsp melted coconut butter 2 tbsp melted cacao butter 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (I used both) 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/8 teaspoon salt

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until completely smooth. Pour the filling over the crust and chill or freeze until ready to serve.

Carmella’s Note: If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are well thawed and at room temperature to avoid the honey turning rock hard during blending.

Blueberry Sauce: 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen Agave nectar to taste

If desired, decorate with chocolate sauce (just mix 1 part melted coconut oil with 1 part agave or maple syrup and 1 part cacao powder) and blueberries.

Irish Moss I get from Livingtreecommunity.com and I make mock cheeses and use it in nut milks and actually put it in the blueberry sauce for the cake.

Hope some of this helped. :)