Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

made my first raw pie and wel....?????

I have not logged in ,in such a longtime…still eating raw but have not had time. Well…I made my first ever raw pie ….it was a strawberry pie with “frosting” everyone LOVED it however it was a bit thin. I was wondering if anyone has tried something as a thickening ingredient? I love simple foods though and stay away from bannanas. Any thought?

PS I want to make a lemon blueberry pie this coming weekend any suggestions would be most appreciated,thank-you!

Comments

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Psyllium is a good thickener. Raw pies are awsesome!

• i know that irish moss can be used as a thickener. i have not tried it yet myself, but i would really love to hear from someone on here who has used it for raw pies! mine also tend to sort of ‘sink’ as they approach room temperature.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

agar is an excellent thickener! be sure to use it properly – look it up online. Agar is used in Sergei Boutenko’s book fresh as the thickener for pies. glad you’re back!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

flax, avocadoes, nuts? that’s all I can think of.

• Agar-agar would definitely work. You could also try adding a bit of coconut oil into the filling and then let it harden in the frige, although I am not sure how it would taste with the lemon essense. Have you ever used chia seeds? These may also be an option. Best of luck!

• Thank-you to all who responded…..I am on a raw pie marathon trying new things to add, been raw for a while now just needed to try out some pies : ). I will try agar and def. the chia seeds…I keep forgetting to see if they have the seeds at my favorite local health store. My next pie is a lemon blueberry…if all works well I will post!

Irish moss????????What’s that?

• See if this link works… http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/forum…

There are many pie/cake recipes on that blog. I actually just made my first raw cake and it was awesome. Blueberry whitechocolate cheesecake.

Here’s the recipe

Bliss-full Blueberry Cheesecake

Makes one 7 ” cheesecake

Crust: 1/2 cup brazil nuts 1/4 cup almonds 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1 tablespoon cacao or carob powder 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Pinch of salt 2 medjhool dates 1 teaspoon agave nectar

Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor until fine. Add agave and process some more until the mixture just starts to stick together. Press into the bottom of the springform pan.

Filling: 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed) 1 cup dry cashews, finely ground 5 tbsp melted coconut butter 2 tbsp melted cacao butter 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (I used both) 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/8 teaspoon salt

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until completely smooth. Pour the filling over the crust and chill or freeze until ready to serve.

Carmella’s Note: If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are well thawed and at room temperature to avoid the honey turning rock hard during blending.

Blueberry Sauce: 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen Agave nectar to taste

If desired, decorate with chocolate sauce (just mix 1 part melted coconut oil with 1 part agave or maple syrup and 1 part cacao powder) and blueberries.

Irish Moss I get from Livingtreecommunity.com and I make mock cheeses and use it in nut milks and actually put it in the blueberry sauce for the cake.

Hope some of this helped. :)