Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

what happens if I do not eat salt

Since I went 100% raw in March, I have not used any salt in my food, though I did buy some sea salt from whole food market. I just do not find any use of it. I remember we were told that salt is necessary in diet to supply iodine, otherwise, the body will develop some disease—-a deformed neck, if I remember right. I am worried about this, do I have to take some salt every day? Could anyone help answer my concern? thanks a lot

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

It is actually the iodine, and it can prevent goiter which is a condition of the thyroid. However, you can get iodine from taking kelp. It is a natural therapy for hypothyroid.

• I just recently heard David Wolfe talking about salt being necessary for brain function. That was the first time I had heard that, but found it very intriguing. If anyone else knows feel free to elaborate.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I am on the pro-salt side myself. I hear diferent sides: some say no salt is necesary, some say a salt deficiency is really the reason for diseases. I don’t know if I agree that it is the cause of all diseases but I can see why lots of people would be salt deficient as most of the world eats bad table salt. The book “Your Bodies many cries for water” talks about the relationship of water and salt and disease.

The good salt contains lots of great minerals.

I believe that humans were actually meant to live in tropical climates near bodies of salt water and would spend a decent amount of time in the salt water and thereby, absorb the necessary amount of salt through their skin. Hardly any people have this luxury today so taking in some good salt makes up for it.

I will admit I’m a salt person. I love the taste of good salt. I notice I personally feel better if I have salt in me. I’ll actually put some on my tongue and let it dissolve and drink my water.

• remember there is naturally occuring salt in alot of veggies.

what they put in table salt is iodide not iodine.

charlotte gerson from the gerson institute told me herself that her entire life she has NEVER USED SALT.shes healthy and like 80 something.

my theory is… take it from someone who actually does what they are teaching.

• weve had another discussion on salt here look that up it might help

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

salt is not necessary at all, plus you do want to taste the actual veggie dot you ? :) If you really must use salt, only use a small amount of true white or other color (red,black,etc.) SEA SALT!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Does anyone know which veggies contain the most salt? I thought celery was one and I don’t like celery.

Does anyone know which salt is considered to be the best (most mineral dense) and cleanest salt? I thought it was the pink Himalayan salt which is what I eat. I also eat the grey Celtic but I prefer the taste of the pink.

• Tomatoes are also a good source of salt. I don’t really like celery too much either but if you put some almond butter or some other raw nut butter on them they taste so much better.

All salts are toxic, sea salt, celtic salt, Himalayan salt etc. They are not organic, it’s like eating rock to the body, it’s an unknown compound. The way plants assimilate them into vegetables and fruits makes them digestible, no other form of salt is digestible.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

You can dehydrate celery and ground it on a coffee grounder and make your own celery salt.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

We get rock salt in the UK, some brands don’t use any additives, it is straight from the rocks like Himalayan salt is. Can’t see why any reason why rock salt isn’t raw. And asraw as pink Himalayan, as long as it has no additives. We also get sea salt which comes in natural pyramid crystals from Greece, it is the best tasting I have ever had, and the crystal formation proves that it hasn’t been messed with. The ‘Maldon’ Salt and ‘Ceres’ salt brands both sell naturalpyramid crystal sea salt.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m moving away from all salt. Here’s why:

Ordinary Table Salt

Many doctors readily acknowledge that ordinary table salt, which is almost 100% sodium chloride, can produce harmful effects in the body.

“Ordinary salt…interferes with the normal flow of all the fluids of the body and so tends to cause rheumatism, catarrh (inflamed mucus membrane, causing mucus in nose and throat), and other diseases…it creates mineral imbalances and a relative deficiency of every other mineral constituent of the body. Then by displacing potassium, it causes a deficiency of potassium.

In addition, Dr. C. Samuel West, a noted researcher on the lymphatic system, claims that ordinary table salt upsets the delicate mineral balance in and around the cell, thus interfering with the electrical function of the cell.

Sea Salt

In considering sea salt as a possible alternative to ordinary table salt, researchers learned that sea salt contains too much magnesium and insufficient potassium, since humans, like other land life, require more potassium than do sea creatures. There have been lots of arguments among nutritionists and holistic doctors regarding sea saltsome praise the benefits, but others, such as Dr. Carey Reams, a noted biochemist and healer (who in his clinic healed many from Cancer), has stated emphatically that sea salt registered 8 times saltier than regular salt when in the body and, thus, had a devastating effect on the health of the body. He recommended to his patients to use no salt. He and others say that the body wants the kind of salts that come naturally in your fruits and vegetables.
  • No worries. You DO NOT need salt. We get plenty of natural sodium from fruits and veggies. Tomatoes and celery in particular.

Blessings!

Audrey 

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I agree with SocaL, inorganic salt cannot be digested properly by the body. Celery and seaweeds have all the organic salt you need.

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

salt has quite a place in history. it was very valuable to many cultures and was sought out. salt regulates how much water is in our cells and keeps that balance. it like a conductor i think. unrefined salt like himalayan, celtic, and real salt have all the trace minerals our bodies need. the book mentioned prior “your bodies many cries for water” stimulated the water cure. basically what you do is drink half your body weight in ounces a day, adding 1/4 t. salt to each quart. i did this religiously for a while and my energy was increased. my mom did it and her joint pains went away. the theory is, is that many ailments are complicated by dehydration. the only way to hydrate is to use salt. without it if you drink too much water, you will flush out your electrolytes and not absorb it into the cells. i also heard it mentioned that our tears (and embryonic fluid too i think) is the same ratio of salt to water as the ocean.

• I have not consumed salt since before I was a teenager!! I couldn’t stand the gritty feeling or the taste. When I found out it occurred naturally in most foods, I decided there would be no worries. I’m a firm believer in not consuming salt, as long as your body says it’s okay!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Some constitutions require more salt than others. Some people find it aggravating and don’t need to add it to their diet. Natural sources of salt include seaweeds, vegetables, olives.

If you don’t have a desire for it, you probably don’t need it.