Self made sports drinks a la Gatorade

Hello!

I did some more or less fruitless research on self made sports drinks.

I am looking for drink that contains only vegetables and/or fruit and/or nuts whether fresh, dried or whatsoever. No minerals or refined things whatsoever, e.g. salt or sugar.

Any experience on that?

Bye

Andreas

Comments

• The purpose of sports drinks is to replace lost electrolytes in your body/blood. The big companies have tried to scientifically recreate that. They haven’t even come close. The water from the YOUNG coconut has the same balance of electrolytes and minerals as found in human blood plasma. So much so, that historically the water has been siphoned directly from the young coconut into people who needed plasma transfusions. Go figure, nature’s gatorade! I know that some sell young coconut water in boxes on the shelf, but I know nothing of the integrity of the enzymes and nutrients of the product. Best way is crackin a fresh young coconut open….

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

What mamamilk said is true! The young thai coconuts are the answer to your question. Don’t throw out the meat either.. that can be used in a variety of delicious dishes, search ‘coconut meat’ on goneraw for recipes.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Yes! Yummmmmmm…electrolytes :) I drink those like crazy when I’ve been sick (nature’s pedialyte, too), though I had to have ginger to calm the nausea before I could handle the young coconut water. They are great for when you’re hot, recovering from a day in the sun, working out, whatever – plus they’re just super-yummy! I never was a huge fan of Gatorade…:)

• Let’s suppose you have no coconut milk available. What would be the next best mixture?

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Hi Andreas,

Soak dried fruit (apricots, raisins, etc.) in 1 quart of water over night, drain and save the fruit for after your workout. Use the sweetened water for your workouts.

Blend a banana in 2 quarts of water and use for your sports drink. I have done this and it has a very light banana flavor and worked well. I liked it.

Both suggestions I found in “On Nutrition and Athletic Performance” by Dr. Douglas Graham. A great read.

Here is another thread on raw athletes where they have some talk about sports drinks: http://goneraw.com/forums/7/topics/4355