Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

brainwashed nomore!

DreaDrea Raw Master

Hello everyone! I feel great! The day I relized noone should have to ask for food with no chemicals changed my life. I’ve been a vegetarian for only 2 months and raw for about 3 weeks, once my eyes where open, It happen fast!

I do have a question…Can someone tell me what is a good substitue for teflex sheets for my dehydrator? Wax paper maybe? Help!

Comments

• Parchment paper works well. You can get it at most grocery stores.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thanks! is there a special type or will any kind do? And, are they disposable?

• It generally comes packaged just like waxed paper (a roll in a box). You tear off what you need.I suggested this to a friend and she says it works fine in her round dehydrator. She cuts it the shape she needs. I don’t know if you can reuse it or not, but suspect you will need a fresh piece each time.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

You can buy parchment paper in a roll next to the aluminum foil or in the baking aisle. I’ve also seen it in sheets, but i’m not sure how large they are. It is disposable. No special type. However, i have only one teflex sheet and i’m going to be buying more because they do work better than the parchment paper. Don’t use wax paper at all.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Cool! Thanks! I was really hoping I wouldnt have to order a “special paper” on line. So I can pass on the message, why not wax paper?

And since Im on a roll with questions(smile), What can I use in place of a nut milk bag?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi dreasraw – I really recommend purchasing a nutmilk bag. Nothing can substitute for these bags. They’re only $7/bag, you could even get two and they’ll last for years. they’re SO worth the investment.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

What site do you suggest for the nut milk bags?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I use cling film in my dehydrator. I think you call it Saran wrap in America. I don’t think it gets hot enough to worry about the plastic leaching into my food.

I think the waxed paper melts but I’m not sure coz I have never used it.

You can make your own nut milk bags for next to nothing. Just buy some muslin and sew it up into a bag! Mind you, $7 a bag is really cheap and effortless! They cost about £8-12 ($16-24) here in the UK.

• Shh, don’t tell anyone. Nut milk bags that I’ve seen are absolutely, totally identical to jelly bags that can be bought for 1/2 the price or less . Check an Ace hardware store.

And when I was younger, we used muslin kitchen towels for jelly bags, or even old pieces of cotton sheets. I’m sure they would work fine for nutmilk too.

(obligatory pitch – or just go 811 and save the trouble) ;-)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Yal are rawsome, thanks! Im going to try the jelly bags. I was really trying to avoid placing an order online.

When i go to the hardware store, I ask for “jelly bags” right? Is this the technical name?

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi..there is another option for the nut milk bag…it is at the hardware store ,too! a paint strainer…they are made of white nylon.here is a picture i bought these when i could not find a real nut milk bag:)... both Home Depot and Lowes carry them in the paint section…$2.98 for the 5 gallon size, set of two, $1.98 for the one gallon size ,set of two. the 100% cotton jelly strainer bags i also use are from Mrs. Andersons and are sold with the canning and jelly making supplies..$4.99 for the set of two. i like the nylon ones because they don’t stain and wash very easily…hope this helps:) p.s….i also use the parchment paper in the dehydrator ;)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

thanks evergreen! Since it’s local and cheap im going to try the jelly bags and paint strainer to see which I will like best. But, if you say the nylon is easier to clean I have feeling I will like that one better too!

Thanks again!

• I use the paint strainer bags that you can get in a paint store or harware store. Mine cost about $1.25 each. I also use them for sprouting by putting my soaked seeds in them and sitting them on a plate in a colander. If you rinse twice a day they work great and are easy to clean by turning them inside out and rinsing well. If I could pay 8 dollars for a nut milk bag I would not becuase I don’t think you need the tie at the top. It would just get in my way.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Im glad you brought that up rosehebrew!

Can you give me more information on sprouting seeds? I see alot of recipes calling for soaked nuts also, could I put my nuts in the bag and set it in a bowl and just change the water every morning, would that work? Is that the sprouting seeds concept also?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I was using wax paper but it wasn’t lasting and it was getting wasteful. but someone with more patience would probably be able to do it.

For nut milk bags I have used thin floursacks but eventually I caved and got the special bag because it washed out easier.

Jeez I guess I am pretty lazy!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

No thats not lazy, I dont want to work hard either! I think this whole rawvolution is great because I dont have to cook (smile), jus kiddn

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

well, that’s true for me, not cooking that is. I always hated standing over a hot stove. now I can have a meal ready in minutes!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I like you bitt, where are you from?

P.S. Can anyone give me some info on seed sprouting?

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

dreasraw – i’m not an expert seed sprouter, i don’t do it often. However, i purchased a small sprouter off ebay and everything molded. i guess too much water. Sarma (Raw Food Real World) says to soak your seeds and then put them in a colander with a towel over and let them sit (that’s how i sprouted my Quinoa). I guess some things might need another watering and then sitting again… i think there’s a site out there that’s something like www.sproutpeople.com or maybe its sproutingpeople. maybe google it. they’re site was very informative as well. I just don’t have the patience :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

You can use wax paper in the dehydrator. That is all I use and it has never melted. Be sure you use the natural brown kind not the white and coat with some olive oil before you put your item on so they don’t stick. I would think that parchment paper would stick. I think you need to use some oil on it.

The easiest no-electric sprouter is the Biosta. It is made of plastic but it is so easy to use. I just did some rye and it sprouts wonderfully and the best part is you don’t have to rinse! Easy to clean too!

http://www.discountjuicers.com/biosta.html

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thanks queenfluff, I checked out that site! It seems easy to use.

• For sprouting … check out http://sproutpeople.com/—everything you want to know about sprouting. It is SO easy. I sprout a lot, and have used jars, bowls, trays, colanders, mesh bags … but I love the sproutpeople easy-sprout the best. Easiest thing I ever used, takes almost no space in the kitchen cause I can tuck it away in a corner, and I can take it with me if I want to munch on sprouts during the day when I’m motoring about cause it has a cover.

basically sprouting is this: you soak the seed in pure water. You drain and rinse the seed …give it a good bath and a shower. You put the rinsed/drained seed back into your container to begin sprouting (no added water). Next day you give the seed a good bath and generous shower, then drain it well, and back into the container. Do this a few times a day if you can, but at the very least morning and night. Stuff sprouts quicker and needs more rinsing in the warmer weather; slower in colder weather.

You can begin eating sprouts at any stage … when they first peek their little tails out, up to when they are ‘leggy’ with green leaves on the top. I start a fairly good sized batch, and eat them at all stages … by the time they are “full grown” not too many are left. When they get to that stage, I pop them into my salad spinner, give them a good bath, drain and spin to remove excess hulls and get them fairly dry. I store them in a glass mason jar in the fridge. They will last for several days – over a week or more. However, mine rarely get that chance, because I’m always munching on them.

My favs are alfalfa and radish. The “sproutpeople” have some really nice blends, too., Many times I will start alfalfa along with a blend, or throw in several kinds. Always a great taste sensation.

enjoy terry

• DreaDrea Raw Master

very comprehensive rawlady, THANKS!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

thanks dreasraw, you seem interesting too! i’m from seattle right now but originally from new england.

jeez now I know i am really lazy because i left sprouts to sprout and forgot about them for 3 days. nope i wasn’t really too busy. but when I have been on top of things sprouting has been fun. I use a jar and screen method for the little seeds and cloth method for adzuki beans, etc. I always through it was a rule that you had to eat sprouts if you are raw but it’s not a rule.

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting….

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Tell me more about your jar and screen method bitt? I’m trying to sprout oat groats for some oatmeal cookies and I really dont know what I am doing!

• As far as nut milk bags I use cheese cloth (about $6 at any grocery store) and the jar and screen method for sprouting is the only way I’ve spouted..you buy a sprouting lid(s) online and buy a wide mouth jar(s) and you put you seed of choice in and pour filtered water in and put the lid on and drain it out(you may need to do this a couple of times depending on seed) pour more filtered water in and soak the seeds for a time (all seeds are different in this department and I know there are seed soaking times somewhere on the internet) then drain the water and tip the jar with the lid on on a 45% agle (or so that air can get into jar) and let it sit until your seeds grow “tails” and presto you have sprouted seeds.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

mysticbutterfly you got it, that’s how i do it. never tried with oats though.