Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

It must be me! AM I CRAZY?

2»

Comments

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

dreasraw, I agree with you, whole-fresh-raw food should be in everybody diet. I meant just that sometimes doctors surprise me with their advices.

angie, good pint that of salad dressing to have in mind ;)

EDIT: I mean: “good point”

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

When I told my doctor I was going on raw food her response was “if more people thought like you I’d be out of a job” and laughed. That’s the response all doctors should have.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

In another thread/forum on GoneRaw (I’m sorry I don’t remember the title of it), another goneraw member (again I’m sorry I don’t remember who!) put in a link to a story about this very topic.
    The article in the blog is called: “What Idea Sharing and the Animal Kingdom Have in Common.”
    http://www.goingbananasblog.com/2008/06/what-id…
    It’s quite funny. I recommend reading it. The rest of the blog is really good too.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Thanks Dreasraw… i’m going to visit my friend again in August and i plan on wowing her with some raw dishes :) Lupus is hard for me to grasp b/c i just can’t understand how your body can attack itself… I think there must be something in her body that’s doing harm. They actually told her not to make her body stronger b/c the lupus will just fight back even harder!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

carrie6292~ ... in a nutshell… A way to think (aka a model) about any “disease” is that the body is saying “I am not getting the resources I need to repair, maintain, and/or regulate myself.” Symptoms are messages of the body regarding these “dysfunctions.” The body is so amazing that when there is a limited amount of resources, it will prioritize how to use those limited resources according to what function/organ is most vital to the continuation of life. Resources for the body come in many forms and are interdependent. Resources can be nutrients, sleep, etc. Consider, what is named a disease, like lupus, is simply an arbitrary set of symptoms that someone grouped and made a shorthand for, it is not a thing onto itself… there is no such thing as lupus to the body. One model about how the body works (there are many models and as research “progresses”, models come and go, eg. leaches/blood letting were once thought of as a huge breakthough to “curing” disease. Today leaches have very limited use). Part of the puzzle (from current thought) of an autoimmune disease is that the cells do not communicate effectively. The body has a “master” list of cells it uses to distinguish “me” (eg. a heart cell) and “not me” (everything else eg. bacteria, virus, cancer, etc.). If a mechanism for cellular communication is disrupted, the body stops correctly identifying certain cells (there are different names for different cells being attacked like when cartilage cells are being attacked it is called “arthritis”. “Lupus” is another category of cells being attacked). Your friend’s body has incorrectly identified some needed cells as “not me” and is thus attacking (sending out white blood cells and other defenses to attack and kill a perceived threat) itself. The opposite also happens when a “not me” cell is incorrectly identified and thus the body stops responding to it as a threat and lets the “not me” cells reproduce (eg. cancer or virus). Cellular communication is a huge breakthough in understanding how the body works or does not work optimally. It makes it very easy to understand the “miracle” that happens when someone increases resources like eating nutrient dense foods, doing energy work, etc., that the body increases wellness. I hope this provides a door for further exploration of how the body works and that you are a more knowledgeable resource for supporting your friend.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

dreasraw, Just consider yourself the grain of sand in a clam shell. The sand irritates the tissues of the clam but the grain of sand ultimately forms a pearl. The analogy applies to everyone who is doing the right thing for their bodies, for animals and for the earth by eating a raw vegan diet!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

When I found out it was gluten causes some of my problems, my daughters were so grossed out that I was eating “gluten free” they would call me a freak (but they would eat my treats) I would always get back at them if I saw them eating something that was gluten free like a popcicle or something like that and go “ooooooo thats not got gluten in it ooooooo that is soooo gross” that would always get them riled up So now that I am trying to go raw to keep the improvments going they are at it again. I have revenge now by giving sprouts to my grandaughters, they love it and my daughter always says “what are you feeding my kids now, weeds mom that is discusting”and I tell her “yeah I am going to take them outside so we can graze on the lawn for awhile”

BlueDolphin – thank you for that… That makes a lot of sense to me. I’m going to do some research on cellular communication and send it to her… thank you for writing that up so simply!

carrie6292~ My privilege. Cellular communication is a focus of mine so I’m glad I was able to communicate it to you in a way that you understood. If you want to discuss it further, feel free to email me. My best to you and your friend. Whatever the medical folks have said (they provide the best info they have using their pharmaceutical model), there are options that are supporting improved quality of life. The magic is finding what works for each person. :)

Thanks, Bluedolphin! Her doctors tell her what to do and she does it but she ends up more sick then she was the last time :( So, i just want to help her out any way i can. I’m trying to get her to go raw for a month to see how her body responds. However, i think the detox symptoms might be misunderstood as her body not tolerating it… We’ll see how she does :) Thanks again!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have been on the weird eating and living for 36 years. Was in the “back to the land movement” in the middle 70’s-80’s, home schooled our last child. Through this whole experience I have decided people want you to be like them, as down deep they know you are right. Those who eat raw are showing people that there is a better way, but SAD people don’t want to get out of there comfort zone. Therefore, when we are around then it makes them uncomfortable. We are not the crazy ones, it is those who ignore the truth, that have a problem.Now that is sad.

• yes..my parents don’t understand..especially after i lost weight. I’m slowly gaining back some. But thing is i feel awesome..never want to give this up. And occasionally people are bit rude. One lady asked me if I was anorexic..and I eat all the raw food I can afford..and others say “geez you’re not vegetarian are you?” lol if they only knew not only vegan but eating raw food. In the end its their loss really..because I feel great!

• yeah I think we’re all crazy to the average “normal” person. When my mom told some of her friends I was eating a raw diet, they said things like “is she joining a cult?” “will she be wearing an orange cape and doing chants next?” (not sure what that even meant.) Basically laughing it up and saying how ridiculous it is. AND these were all women in medical professions. Raw food is not “normal” so people immediately think we’re freaks of some kind. oh well, it’s their loss. ;)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Well put Bluedolfin! I think it is wonderful to be blessed as a thinker!

merwing, that cult thing is funny! What makes that really funny is I feel like I am leaving the cult, not joining one!

I was formely in a cult known and followed by many, where we ate blood and flesh and chemically induced ourselves for a slow suicide. I was convinced that these things were good for me because the majority said so, and who is little me so go against that. I was born into this cult and from birth I was taught it’s rules and follwed it’s habits and may I mention their habits are addictive. It was very hard to break free and its still hard to be free because those that are still in ridicule and harass me for not being a member anymore.

It’s good to be amongst the free and thinking

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Interesting analogy dreasraw… The SAD is very much like a cult.

• I just want to encourage all of you to keep telling your friends! If they truly love you, they won’t leave you because you’re “crazy” :) I am raw because my precious friend HOUNDED me for three years. I thought she was crazy for the longest time, but the more information she threw at me, the more it made sense. Back then, I would never have dreamed I could give up SAD. Now, I am grateful every day that Valerie didn’t give up on me. She decided not to let her own inhibitions and insecurities keep her from leading me in the right direction.

Granted, you have to walk a fine line between sticking to your nutritional morals and becoming downright pushy, but choose to walk it. It takes courage, but I wouldn’t be healthy today if someone had not made that choice on my behalf!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Alone on my island? Yes! Cavsman-great to get the male perspective also.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Wow lady3393! So inspirational! Thats great, I guess I will stay on a few friends especially those that taunt me all the time of why they need to eat healthier. I try to point out some of the chemicals in the food, but ironic enough, sometimes that doesnt work at all!

• dreasraw and anngoing raw,

my friend’s step-father has had colon cancer 3 times and “gotten over it” three times despite his dietary habits. He eats slim-jims, any kind of meat sandwiches, cheese, chips and junk. I spoke with him about veggies and stuff and his doc says it is too hard to digest. how about pre-digested with a high speed blender, I say?

I also know another doctor (ER doctor), who said to me last week that she doesn’t think what you eat or your lifestyle has anything to do with your chances of getting cancer. She thinks people who get cancer got “dealt a bad hand”

ugh…doctors! (not ALL docs, now! :)

• I live near Hippocrates Health Institute, where people go to learn Raw and be cured of cancer, digestive disorders, etc. so a lot of people around here kinda get it. The problem is that they get so defensive when they find out what I do (help others with a raw lifestyle, and live raw myself) that they go into rants (usually at least 20 minutes) on what they eat, how they could change it, eventually coming back to “but I think I eat pretty well. I’d miss cheese too much to go raw.” It’s almost always cheese. I smile politely and tell them “that’s nice, dear,” wondering, “If they really believe their diets are so great, why did they just spend 20 minutes defending their love of cheese, chicken and shrimp to me?” Ditto on dreasraw’s meditation idea – so true. As for inspiring others, so far my parents and several of my life coaching clients have at least tried raw for extended periods of time. Many of them have stuck with it, even if not 100%. Just let people try buckwheat breakfast or onion bread with eggplant caponata – that’ll inspire them!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I once had some neighbors come to visit, and I let them try my raw ice cream & told them about the lasagna & three other ice cream flavors I had been experimenting with, and my friend said to her husband, “Here I’ve been worrying that Angie isn’t getting enough to eat and she’s eating lasagna and ice cream!” Heehee :) I like to bring up (in conversations with my friends about weight control issues) how after I had my son, I had to limit my calories to 1800 per day (I’m tall), and I barely lost any weight, but now I eat around 2500 or more calories per day, things like chocolate pie for breakfast haha, etc. and I find it easy to maintain a healthy weight besides feeling better…So far people still think I’m crazy, but you never know. ;) A lady I talked to the other day, when I said something about this raw food website, she laughed and asked, “Do you LIKE to eat raw food?” I said, “Yes! I love it!” She said that she eats some raw food, but she could never eat all raw. I’m teaching a raw foods class in September – maybe she’ll come? I just think people haven’t had enough options if they think they couldn’t do it, or that it can’t taste good, or things like that. Then again, maybe I’m crazy! :D

angie~ I agree with you that many people haven’t had “appetizing” raw options. Would you have gone raw if most of your life your idea of raw was a wilty, browning iceberg lettuce “salad” with a cardboard tomato slice? Yuck!

Have a awesome class!

Bluedolphin – Even when I did first try raw gourmet dishes, I thought a lot of it was nasty. Then I started making my own food and using SALT & adding different flavors, and life was good raw. I thought I didn’t like salad for a long time, because growing up, salad was iceberg lettuce topped with Ranch dressing. Funny you should use that as an example :D

Oh… some of the other things people grow up with… “knowing” peas are grey, slimy, and, mind you, tasteless, from only eating canned peas… double yuck! Those things should be outlawed!!! Veggies have gotten a “bad rap” for many years for a lot of reasons… but WE know better!!! 8o)

heehee – outlawing canned peas! Good idea!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

kirsten, The doctor thing makes me laugh every time! I have a family member who is on dialisis and her doctor tells her not to eat veggies, but she can have all the dairy, meats and chips she likes. I really can not understand this concept! But it’s crazy because the doctors being ignorant about what preventive and self healing really is they give there patients an excuse to eat trash! So, when I tell people that I’m raw one of the first things I hear is, “Well..my doctor says that your opening yourself up to disease because that lifestyle isnt healthy!” And I just think WOW, since when did laboratory foods become the healthy replacement for mother nature? Since when as humans did we become so detached from our body’s, our planet, animals, eachother?

Bluedolfin If I didnt have the experience of “REAL” peas, from what you wrote, I would never touch them again. Also, I agree i dont know how long I would last on a bland lettuce diet, but I must say the “feeling” of natural food far out weighs the taste of SAD food!