Young cocconuts question...

I bought 2 and haven’t gotten around to using them. How long do they keep in fridge? It has been 2 weeks…

Thanks…

Comments

• hey there babydollsea! umm, it really depends on how fresh they are. i’ve had some that have lasted upwards to a month, though it’s a rare thing for those things not to get consumed zealously when i have them in the fridge. i don’t believe there’s any sure-fire way to tell how fresh your coconut is. basically, if you cut it open and it’s pinkish in color and not the snow-white it usually is, it means your coconut is on the old side (and most likely molded). i’d say use those babies soon. i use one daily for my favorite smoothie of all time: you take a coconut, some flax oil, some cacao nibs and mango and blend it—it makes my whole raw experience worth it! cheers for coconutty-goodness!

• Thanks so much mellie-bellie! I lucked out and one coconut was fresh, the other pink. I ended up making a Raw Cacao Coconut shake.

• oh man the worst thing in life is when you’re jonesin’ for a coconut smoothie and you cut into it and it’s pink and yucky. and then you cut into a 2nd and 3rd, and they’re yucky too. this happened to me once, 3 coconuts in a row from the same case and i was less-than-happy. happy you got to enjoy yours! a lil coconut makes the world go ‘round, as far as i’m concerned :)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

This has always baffled me – how do you open them??? I’ve watched demonstrations on youtube with a chef’s knife and nearly cut off a finger. Don’t have a cleaver, which seems to work better. On my first one I ended up using a saw which took a good 15 minutes of hard labor to open, and the last time I remembered an Angela Stokes blog where she bashed one in a bag with a hammer. That actually worked well. Its seems people use them with such abandon here on the site, I’m definitely missing something.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

“This video shows exactly how”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THEdI_gSNQ4

Keep in mind that before hacking at it with a knife, you can put it on the table and keep it steady with another knife or fork jabbed into the white part at the base of the coconut. That way your hands are away from the blade.

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

This is a good demo on how to open a young coconut:

http://www.rawguru.com/openyoungcoconut.html

It’s pretty easy once you’ve practiced on a couple, though I do find it easier with a cleaver than with a knife.

• I’ve seen them hacked plenty and to me it’s odd to do it that way. Know what I do? I lay it sideways and starting sawing with a good long bread knife and it only takes literally a minute or less to get into it. Considering I buy them in cases and have opened plenty, perhaps I have a good judgment of where they’ll open easiest, BUT really it’s not so hard. My knife isn’t a special cleaver, just a normal knife that’s a little bit serrated. By cutting into it slowly, you can feel once you’ve gotten into the “meat”, at which point you could turn it over and pry it open a bit and pour the liquid out so you don’t lose any of that precious coconut water. All this coconut talk makes me wish I could be gluttonous by having 2 coconut smoothies a day, but alas it’d cost a pretty penny and variety is the spice of life!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Wow, the videos were great, thank you! Those coconuts look a lot nicer than the ones I’ve been trying to hack into. I will keep trying, although the chef’s knife terrifies me still.

mellie-bellie – the serrated knife is clever and new to me – don’t have one, but I do have a pruning saw that’s serrated! What we’ll do for our food.

• Tried opening one for the first time today without much success. Thanks for the info. Tomorrow should be much easier!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Excellent videos Winona & denzildragon – Thanks for sharing!