growing herbs

worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

what are good informational resources you know of to grow your own herbs? i just got organic chives already est. and would like to get into it more. Anyone else have experience with growing herbs and/or using diluted ocean water to grow there herbs.

What other things can i grow inside?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

We get some herbs from our CSA, but I don’t have a green thumb. We heard a local organic farmer lecture about farming… and he says people kill herbs because they water them too much. I think he said to water them once a week.

Just some small tips I learned during the lecture: Oregano, thyme, sage, chives, and rosemary will regrow the next year. Sage has beautiful flowers and aroma. Dill, basil, cilantro are easy to grow. Pick the basil off its tops (to prevent it from going to seed and keeps it growing).

And (I think) cilantro can be grown again in the fall. And, it only grows once.

Spinach has to be the right temperature/pH to sprout.

Someone said they grow kale inside! And, I think eggplant; it grows fast too.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

awesome info

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Here’s a low down about herbs if you’re interested in growing them(my family’s business is herbs pantrygardenherbs.com(not organic)).

Main point as germin8 said is definitely don’t water them to much. Wait for them to get a bit wilty first. They get moldy and rotten really quickly if you don’t. Other main thing, whatever you do don’t plant mint anywhere near anything else. It’ll take over everything. The general rule with mint is keep it in a container by itself.

Good info above from germin8.

Cilantro you can continually plant. It goes to seed fairly fast no matter how you pick the leaves so if you plant seeds around your plants as soon as they are partially grown you’ll have cilantro throughout the summer.

Parsley is a bi-annual so it comes back the second year.

I strongly suggest getting Greek Columnar Basil because it doesn’t go to seed and it is far hardier of a plant. It’s a fairly new variety. It tastes like sweet basil. The leaves are a bit smaller but same flavor.

If you want edible thyme make sure you get Common Thyme.

Hope some of that is useful.

Good luck!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I grow basil, oregano, thyme, dill, parsley, and mint. I do it in little containers outside on my porch. What kind of space do you have? Are you growing from seed or starters? starters are more expensive but worth it because you don’t have to wait as long and I have had better luck with these.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I have a friend who swears by using horse manure as fertilizer – about a half- bucketful covered in water lasts her a year. Her plants are the most beautiful in the neighorhood!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

thanks guys. right now i have organic chives as starters. they were on sale since no one is buying them. i would like to grow them inside in the kitchen with lots of light. i also have a balcony to go off of.