New fratboy roomies

BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Hey! So, in a couple of weeks, I’m going to be moving into a house with three guys. They all know me pretty well, but still will never understand the raw vegan thing, however are open to eating anything that tastes good (and “looks normal”). Thankfully, I’m moving to a city where I have a handful of raw friends, and we are going to start a weekly potluck, starting at my new house! So, while I have my own thoughts, I would love some suggestions for impressing my new housemates. Think 5-course meal. Think frat boy. Think hard.

THANK YOU!

Comments

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

I should add that they are all ramen-eating beer-drinking college students.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

heavy, creamy, sweet, flavorful…even intense heat.

i use to be one of those but its was pizza, sausage sandwiches and beer for me. I would say meals with avocado that are heavy would be good, like the popular veggie chili can be. also flavorful sauces that would go good with veggies (i just saw some good recipes in video blog on renegade healh like burritos/ mole sauce, and sme sauce that ppl use on their meat, but youll change that), veggie burgers. smoothies would be a great thing. introduces juices and smoothies even if they want vodka in it. what ever floats their boat. i did this at work. i made raw sushi rolls and sushi rolls with wild rice. i had a huge tear of them for lunch and people loved it. they love sushi but hate getting 8 sushi rolls for 7 dollars. creamy soups. nut milks with granola. also there is a good recipe i found that i shood post soon. lentil walnut burgers. remember that. i make it Friday or Saturday and post it sunday. zucchini spaghetti dinners would be good i think, with a tomato basil sauce or heavy pesto sauce.

this is all the things i got into when transitioning and having a football player, basketball player and a just plain big guy as room mates. We would go to the all you can eat cafe and fill our bags up to the hilt.

• For my skeptical junk food friends I like to make marinated portabella mushrooms with peppers. I rub the mushrooms and pepper down with some chopped onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, olive oil and ume plum paste. If you can’t find the plum paste, you can use nama shoyu, braggs, or miso paste, fior the same affect. I let the marinade sit for an hour or so. You can also dehydrate this which makes for a real steak affect, but you will loose a lot of mushroom. A big taco platter with all the trimming is awesome too collards or big lettuce leaves for shells a batch crumbly spicy nut meat ( i use brazil nuts, chili powder, miso, and cayenne) gaucamole salsa sour cream (hemp seeds or cashews blended with lime juice, apple cider vin, salt, a little coconut meat) maybe refried beans (look for no – bean sunflower type pates)

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i agree, id stick to raw junk food though mexican or italian flavors…best of luck to ya, id save my money though if i where you….these peoples taste buds are not like ours!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’d keep it simple like fruit smoothies, if you even bother. Add some raw sweetener to a bunch of fruit and blend.

Or, my almond milk shake is a big hit with SAD folks (almond milk, vanilla, banana, sweetener, salt, ice) whizz till the ice dissolves but it’s still really cold.

• make raw ramen noodles and raw beer. ha ha. jk. if you invent those things, you will be hailed as a genius…(actually, i’ve heard of people making “living margaritas” with rejuvelac) you could raw ramen by spiralizing some zucchini and marinate it with braggs, onions, mushrooms…

What city are you moving to? hope your potlucks are fun! this should be a wild adventure for you.

1. guac and chips and anything mexican

2. winona’s shake – perfect

3. coconut macaroons

it’s tough to change peoples paradigms, so start with those things.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

SWEET! thanks everyone :)