Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NO COCONUT PLEASE!

DreaDrea Raw Master

Hello, I love alot of the cheesecake recipes and so forth. My favorite is the Alfredo Zucchini recipe, But, PLEASE give me a replacement for the coconut! Thanks

Comments

• Hi, I was just wondering why you don’t want to use coconut; are you allergic or do you just not like the taste? I was just curious. Coconut is a difficult one to replace because it becomes solid at 75 degrees. If you are just using it to roll things in, then I suppose you could roll things in nuts, cacao nibs, etc. but as for replacing the coconut oil I am not sure.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I do like coconut, but, I would love an alternative because I dont always want to taste it, know what i mean? It’s in almost all recipes

*and I should have mentioned, It’s not the easist thing for me to come by.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

you can use any nut or avocado to replace coconut. White nuts would work best. Or cacao butter could work well too, as it goes hard like coconut butter does, but it doesn’t taste as good, I love coconut butter though. I f you want your cheesecake to set then you could use Irish Moss mixed with the substitute nuts or avocado.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

thanks Zoe, I just really needed some options

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Hmm, I love coconut but don’t have it often at all . . . my experience is that it’s hardly in almost all recipes, though my tastes may differ from yours. And it seems to me there are lots of ways to make raw vegan alfredo-type sauce without coconut. I’ve made a few different recipes, and none had any coconut. This site actually has many such recipes.

For cheesecake (and other desserts), cacao butter is a great substitute for coconut oil, though pricey. A frozen cheesecake would stay firm without any “hard” fats, and would be great for summer.

I think it’s great to diversify your ingredients—you never know when you might not be able to find something, or when you’ll be sharing with someone who’s allergic. Best of luck!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi Dreasraw!! I see that you’d like an alfredo zucchini recipe, coconut free. The one below is my creation. The sauce is positively AMAZING. Enjoy!

Alfredo Sauce

Sauce:

• 1/2 cup Water
    • 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
    • 1 Clove Garlic, Peeled
    • 1 teaspoon Salt
    • 1 cup Raw Pine Nuts (optional to soak)
    • 1/3 cup cashews
    • 1 teaspoon Raw Honey
    • 1 pinch Pepper
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon Nutritional Yeast

Pasta:

• 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
    • 5 baby portobella mushrooms, sliced
    • marinade: 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp nama shoyu, 1 tsp lemon juice
    • 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 1 cup Pea (frozen and thawed)
    • 2 cucumbers, spiralized
    • Herbs for garnish (chives, green onions, parsley, cilantro)

For the sauce, blend the cashews and water in a high speed blender. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Marinade the mushrooms and bell pepper between 1 hour and overnight, or dehydrate for 30 minutes at 105 degrees. Prepare the pasta by topping the spiral cut cucumbers with peas, tomatoes, and bell pepper.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

you can use any nut or avocado to replace coconut.

Can you really? I don’t make a lot of the coconut recipes simply because it’s hard to come by good quality coconuts near me (there were none yesterday and I actually was going to buy one! :( ), but I always have avocados. Should I mash the avocado and then measure out the same amount or should I go by weight?

Nice thread! I love finding different ways to alter recipes… after all – what if I’m not in the mood for a coconut?! ;)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thank you Winona, I am definetly going to try this alfredo, it sounds amazing!

Like Khaas Ladki said I do like coconuts, but I have to go way to another town (out of my way) to get them other wise my health food place I shop does not readily carry them.And I dont always want to taste coconuts, especially in my cheesecake.