menses on raw

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

so, this is cool: my period lasted barely 2 days!! Normally in the past, when I was cooked, it lasted about 5 days, so annoying, but this time, no pain and VERY short. WOOHOO! Oh, and pms was about 10 hours of bloating, feeling very irritable…very intesnse but again, very short. Used to last a week or so..

Cool changes :)

Comments

• I had severe P.M.D.D. prior to going raw… the first month I was 100%, I had ZERO symptoms…no physical or emotional problems whatsoever…It’s still the same to this day; in fact, it’s gotten even better… often times I don’t even realize I’ve started my period!!!! Not very good if you’re wearing a white skirt… ;-p

• i only get my period every three to four months now that i’m raw, but i still ovulate regularly. pretty cool stuff! unfortunately i’m still experiencing some cramping when i do get it… but only for one day and it’s not anything i can’t bear

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I had a bad week a couple months ago where I ate pasta twice a day cuz I was on a boat and had little choice and my period lasted about 3 days then stopped, then started again after a 1-day pause, then stopped, and started again after a 1-day pause! Plus there was cramping and my skin turned into an oil slick and I broke out all over my face and chest! Soooooooooo much better when raw!

• yep my period lasts only 2 days flat now. somehow i can’t help but feel worried. can anyone provide a sound explanation as to why period gets less as one goes on a raw diet?? just doesn’t seem natural to me.

• yay this sounds awesome. my period is due next week and ya know what, even though i’ve been vegan for 9 years, i still had a 5-6 day period. i’d LOVE it if it was a little shorter. granted, i’ve only been raw for 2.5 weeks, but i haven’t had cooked foods in over a month because i was on the MC before transitioning to raw. we shall see :)

honeygal, i haven’t researched this topic at all, but my anthropological mind tells me that periods going away or being really short might be normal. i think in indigenous times, people had highly efficient bodies and so it wasn’t “nature’s” design to have a monthly because it meant a chance at becoming pregnant and having many children close together. i think food was scarce, and most ate a highly raw diet, so our bodies are designed at high stress (i.e. little food) moments to NOT allow the chance to procreate. but now that we’re living in a consumption-based civilization where food is abundant, our brains/physio-chemical systems are hardwired to think: food equals the right circumstances to bring a child into fruition (we are, in fact, mammals and it’s our natural “purpose” to procreate throughout our entire life). not sure if i’m making sense, but i’ve seen this concept mentioned in many books. and as a side note, has anyone ever been in dire stress so badly that your period just goes away? i had a horrible late winter and early spring and my period went away for over 90 days. i asked my uncle, a doctor of many natural modalities, about this, and he basically put it this way: our bodies will not not have menses because they intuitively know that it’s not the “right” time for conceive. not that raw falls under this category, but just that our bodies kinda really have their own programming and self-sustainability.

see what happens when you make a green smoothie, you start rambling! cheers :)

• I started the raw food diet basically to cure my menses problems. I had it for 7+ days and completely irregular with crippling pain. Back when I was eating cooked food, my doctor prescribed me birth control pills. Of course I was sooooo desperate I took them, and in retrospect I wish I had discovered the raw foods diet earlier because instead of being regular, the pill made me lose my period for an entire year. Now I rarely even get my period and i feel no pain at all! AND I get it every 6 weeks on the dot. Its so wonderful to feel wonderful!!!!!

• Okay so I started my period 3 days ago and coincidental or not, this, by far, is the “gushiest” I’ve been in a long time. My flow is relentless, I’m having a low level of constant cramping (which I typically never get) and I am emotionally OFF THE WALL!! I feel as though I’m doing some major detoxing anyways by being newly raw for almost a month (both physically and emotionally), so perhaps that’s heightened my menses experience this time around. Not havin’ much fun over here :-(

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I had my first period a week after going raw… and yeah, I had the same cramping and gushing issues too! But after day 3.5, it was all over. I’m about to start in a couple days, and I’m curious to see how it affects me now that I’ve been raw for almost 6 weeks. Hugs! It’ll pass soon :)