Will juicing raw greens 'break the cell walls'?

I know that it is best done with a blender. But my blender doesn’t perform as well as a vitamix, and I won’t be able to afford a better blender for a few months, if then. But I have a single auger juicer, and find the juice much more palatable without the fiber.

Needing to know, will juicing break the cell walls, so I can get lots of the nutrients? Also, with the pulp strained out, can I still get a good bit of the calcium from the juice of the greens?

Thanks.

Comments

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

Oh! I’d like to know this too!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Juicing does break the cell walls. The dryer the pulp the more nutrients are in the juice. That means all nutrients.The pulp would be the fiber.

I am new to this forum and as you know all are different. Would someone please tell me how to post with out edit on my post.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BEANY If I understand your question, I believe the “edit” reminder that appears in the upper corner of your posts is just there to provide you with a means to access your post in case you want or need to edit what you wrote. I make so many typos that I use it constantly. No one else sees the word edit as it only appears on your posts since only you can edit them.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Thank you Meditating. I’m not off my bean after all.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Paxton,

I think it depends on the juicer. Norman Walker created his juicer specifically to break the cell walls and said that other juicers couldn’t do that. I had a Norwalk briefly (sold it, it was too much of a pain to use). It made the best juice, a quantum difference between that juice and the stuff from my Champion. So I don’t think the Champion or most juicers break the cell wall. However, the juice from my K-Tec blender tastes pretty much like what I got from the Norwalk. So I would bet that the K-tec and Vitamix break the cell wall.

• browniesbrownies Raw Newbie

I know this doesnt answer your question but you should check your local craigslist (if you have one) for a good blender. I’ve seen vita mix’s a few times for only like $50-75.

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Brownies, my local craigs list rarely lists blenders of any kind in any section. :-( When they do, it is always something that has even less power than the one I have (600-800 watts is mine). I live in a small city, and cannot travel to any of the surrounding cities due to restrictive gas prices.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It is the same thing I would tell someone else who needed a blender. :-)

Thanks too, to everyone else for your posts.