Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

female related question

Okay, I have a question for other Raw ladies. I’m only about 50% raw,trying to transistion slowly, and when I first started I had my period for about 10 days, which is really long for me. Now I’m about three weeks late, and I know I should get my period, but I haven’t. I also had a LEEP procedure done last week, from cervical dysplagia, and I think that may have screwed up my cycle even more because my body is healing. I don’t want to go to the OBGYN because I know he’ll just give me a blast of horomones, and that is not the answer. It would probably just make things worse. Has anyone experienced a signifigant change in their cycle? Should I be worried? I really appreciate any and all advice.

Comments

• Hey Green,

I experienced a lighter and significantly shorter period since going raw almost 2 months ago. In the other stuff page of the forum there is a thread titled For women only or something like that and it deals specifically with our cycles and how they change. Peace and Blessings Dea :)

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

My period is shorter after going raw,and I don’t have strong cramps,but I still have them.It’s the only difference that I have noted.I don’t know what to tell you,but maybe if you get relax your period comes back.I always noted that when I get stressed out about something my period takes longer to come.

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I heard the lower the toxins are in your body the shorter the period will be, because the period is a way for your body to expel the toxins that are in your blood stream. You still ovulate but there is just no bleeding.

http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/menstruatio…

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

My period went from 5-7 days to 1-2 days after going raw. Little to no PMS, and very little cramping. I would check out the other thread on this forum about this topic as well,as a lot of women posted there.

• Hi greenmachine,

That is very interesting. I had issues with bleeding too long and I came to the conclusion that soy and broccoli had something to do with it. My boyfriend really likes broccoli so I was eating it almost everyday. I was also drinking a lot of soy milk and eating tofu. I found out that they both affect estrogen levels so that may be it. What are you eating now? Particularily when you are not eating raw- but also are you eating a lot of any one thing now that you are raw? I have been worried about ovarian cancer myself due to other people in my family being prone to it. I had a cr25 genetic test which turned out to be negative and an endometrial biopsy which also turned out to be negative. Mine have lightened up a lot since I stopped eating broccoli and soy all the time. Good luck with everything. Have you cut your caloric intake drastically- that could affect it too.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

writeeternity, I would venture to guess that the majority of problems you were having were from the soy, less likely it was the broccoli. It sounds like you have done your research though, so good for you! I have a website that has LOTS of studies about how soy is very bad for you and all the diseases it is linked to. If you are interested, it is www.taoistlife.com. Click on the soy sections at the bottom of the page. It is is a work in progress so please excuse the ‘messiness’.

• It’s great to know I’m not the only person who has experienced something like this. It’ll be great to have a consistently short period in the future. Like kooliaided said, I think it might have to do with my detox phases and how toxic I am during my cycle. Writeeternity, I was actually told to eat more folic acid(broccoli)to help prevent more cervical dysplagia and possible cervial cancer in the future.So I don’t know, I’ll have to check into that. I defintely noticed that eating too many nuts makes me feel sick almost. So I try not too eat too much of one thing anymore. Well, thanks again for all of the advice!

• PamPam

Interesting discussion. Writeeternity, when I was vegan but not raw, I ate a ton of soy and it completely messed me up. When I stopped, my periods straightened out. I tried to ease up on my self-imposed soy restrictions and it happened again. I also have a thyroid condition and I understand that soy can interfere with your uptake of synthetic thyroid hormones.

Greenmachine, I had a LEEP about 10 years ago and, yes, it interfered with my cycle, but then it went back to normal. Raw has not shortened my periods but I keep hoping!

• Hi. The taoistlife link was great. Thanks! I hadn’t researched it enough I see. My boyfriends mom was a serious health nut and he drank a lot of soy growing up and got autoimmune thyroid disease so maybe there was a connection there. I also worked with a guy from California who said he thought he’d gotten his thyroid disease from his mom feeding him soy all the time growing up. I also have had pancreatitis type symptoms so I think it may be related. We still have a giant container of soy milk in our fridge so I am going to show your website to my boyfriend and we’ll switch over to almond milk asap! I read a report that broccoli could cure stomach ulcers caused by a particular organism in the stomach- helio bacter. So yea – don’t stop eating broccoli on my account! All the cruciferous veges are cancer inhibitory- like brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Good luck!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Hi there Green,

I’m so glad you brought this up. I’ve been pretty much all raw since February of this year ( mostly veg before that) and I have not had a period for 3 months! I know I am still ovulating because I had an ultrasound recently to see if a cyst was still on one ovary. ( Its gone! YEA! ) Anyhow. I have read about this sort of thing happening after eliminating stuff from your diet that does not work well.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I used to have maybe just one period a year from the age of 14 till when I went raw at 31. Since being raw I get one every month like clockwork. For me it is a miracle, I feel like a proper woman. My whole body shape has become more womanly as well, I am so happy to be a ‘normal’ woman now!

• I used to have the looongest most disgusting periods and since going 100% raw my periods instantly became shorter and lighter—it’s like magic! I was/am so amazed. When I had my first period after going 100%, it had only been like a week or something of 100% raw and my flow only lasted like 2 1/2 days. I still get the occasional killer cramps, though.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi greenmachine – I had a cleanse in early April… and I was 90% for almost 2 months by then. After the 10-day cleanse, my cycle was almost reaching a 50-day cycle. It seems to be back to a normal cycle now.

• Wow, thanks for all of the advice. I think my body is balancig out a bit,so I got my period a few days ago. It’s been pretty long but I think that’s because of the LEEP. I read about wheat grass implants for healing, maybe I’ll try that.

The info on soy and thyroid diseases is very interesting. I have Grave’s disease, auto immune thyroid disease, and I have been eating soy for years. I finally gave it up a few months ago and my thyroid levels are pretty normal now. I also read that eating alot of Grain can affect your thyrois, for those that are interested.

Thanks again!

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

I can get away with about 5 total tampons now…usually only if I have to go to work. Only 2-3 days with enough to need something. Also as soon as I went off the evil;) pill, I immediately adjusted to the moon cycle. It makes me SO happy to be in tune with nature! Can’t wait to be able to give up tampons completely!