PITA CHIPS!

So after years of being a pita chip and hummus junkie, I’m finally starting to crave it again. However, when I came here to look for a pita chip recipe, I found nothing! Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there is one! So I’ve taken it upon myself to create one! They’re in the dehydrator now, but I was hoping to get some input for the recipe, as I’m sure it will need some tweeking. Right now it’s as follows:

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
olive oil (and a little water) to consistency
garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper to taste (will use fresh garlic and onion once I figure out a good recipe)

So that’s what I’ve got! Of course any flavors could be added – sun dried tomatoes, cinnamon, basil, etc. Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!! :)

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

That sounds really good. Might I suggest adding flaxseeds? They add that bready flavor that makes crackers and breads so tasty.

• I too am a pita and hummous junkie!! In fact, I am eating some homemade raw hummous right now!!! With carrots and cucumber instead of pita. Your recipe sounds delicious!!!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

KathyKath – i made some crackers similar to your Pita chip and mine came out to oaty. Please let me know if your ratio on oats/sunflowers tastes good (good consistency). My crackers tasted awesome, but they were really heavy! Thanks!!! I love Matt Amsden’s Hummus :)

• Thanks for the input! I’ll definitely keep playing around with this.

RawKidChef – The flaxseed is definitely a good idea. Does it matter if the seeds are whole or ground?

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Great recipe. Why don’t you post it to the recipes? That way it will be searchable and findable for future readers that are pita chip junkies! :)

• I wanted to make sure the chips were at least edible before I posted the recipe :) It will be up soon!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I think it would be better to grind them.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I too really miss pita bread/chips! If you want them chewy, add soaked flax. If you would rather them be flakey/crunnchy, use dry and grind into a powder. :)

I am definatley trying these.

Another tip if you want them like the the “greasier” pita chips is to mist with olive oil when the chps are dry. Yum! I used to love those pita chips Whole foods used to sell. I can’t remember the name of them – they come in garlic, cinnamon, plain and salt flavor I think in a plastic box. They were sort of greasy too and nice that thick and crunchy. Boy, I miss those.