eating disorders begone?

hi! i’ve been raw since the beginning of the month.. so about three weeks. i had been interested in it for a while, and i needed to do something drastic. i’ve had issues around food and weight since i was 15 (i’m 23).. anorexic for years then bulimic. last month was SO full of bad circumstances i thought i would lose my mind, i was drinking and doing drugs and binging and purging on a constant basis and felt absolutely TERRIBLE. finally, after one of the worst binge/purge sessions of my life, i knew i had to make a huge change. the next day i started eating raw foods only, and i got rid of all my cooked/processed foods. and it’s been that way ever since. on the same day i quit drinking/drugs. my new job is at a supplements store (wholesale raw cacao and chia! woohoo!) and it’s five blocks from the city’s only raw restaurant! i am SO HAPPY i made the change. i’ve only purged once since i went raw, and believe me that is a BIG DEAL. it used to be several times a day, every day. i feel so much healthier and happier. people have noticed the difference in me, telling me i look great and, more importantly, that i seem happier and more grounded, more confident. i know all my food issues aren’t magically gone, but this is the closest to cured i have ever been. i do still weigh myself every day and hate my body, but i dont feel guilty when i eat things like fruit and veggies.. the only dangerous things are prepared raw foods (like bars, crackers, etc).. so i avoid most of those. i’m ranting now. just wanted to share my experience.. i’ll be around for a long time and i look forward to someday being as pure and healthy as possible and maybe just maybe being happy with my body. :)

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Welcome kedamono!! How thrilling that you have a raw restaurant down the street. Is the food tasty?

I’m glad you have joined goneraw, hopefully this site is a good resource for you. Here’s a post called All Eating Disorders that you may find useful.

Congrats on feeling better!! I bet that you’ll enjoy being raw more and more, the longer you eat raw foods. Your taste buds get used to the taste of raw foods, and you’ll find them to be even more delicious. Enjoy!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Welcome kedamono! Your story is amazing. I definitely have felt that same freedom since I”ve been on raw food. For the first time in my life I don’t feel guilty every time I eat. I was always playing games in my mind and I hated it. I wasn’t bulimic or anorexic but I always felt scared that I would go that far because of how much I hated my body. Now I feel like there isn’t a better thing I could be doing for it and I just am going to have to love it exactly how it is. Now I feel beautiful and confident and free. I’m so glad you’re doing yourself such an amazing service. You seem to be a beautiful person from your pic and your words.

• Welcome to Goneraw kedamono. I am so glad you are feeling better. I am so happy I found this truth even at this time in my life. It seems for me that the food fights are over. Now I love to eat and I feel good about it. Before I had a love-hate relationship with food and it seemed I was always dancing with the devil every time that I faced what I was going to eat that day. I tried a cooked vegan diet for a year and I still would eat too much becuase I just felt so hungry and unsatisfied all the time. Now I eat, feel good about it, and go on with something else. It is so natural and unstressfull. We raw foodists tend to eat a lot so don’t let that scare you. I know that I am not ever going to have a perfect body as we are all individuals, but I will be happy at whatever my body decides that it wants to settle on after it all gets normalized. Keep up the good path and enjoy the natural life.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

It’s such a huge relief to, almost magically, have all your food issues suddenly disappear. I’ve had eating issues since I was 10 (which is around the time I discovered sweets and also started dieting). After being in a bad relationship for almost 2 years, and gaining 100lbs during the time, I made the commitment to a vegan diet. A year and a half later (and 80lbs down), I’ve now discovered the joy of raw food. I’ve only been raw for a month, but for the first time in my life, I don’t have cravings, I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself, and I feel really positive about my life and my body. Going raw is a huge step, but it truly feels like the best thing you can do for yourself.

• Hi Kedamono!!! You and I have a lot in common. I struggled with anorexia and bulimia since i was about 15 years old and sad to say, it is still in the back of my head. I’ve turned to RAW food about 8 months ago (maybe a little longer) but have fallen off the wagon a few times. I’m starting my RAW journey again though and feel great!! I’ve become Vegan recently and have been enjoying the changes it has brought to my life and my outlook on many things. I’m 24 years old, married and have 2 young little girls, I don’t want my girls growing up with body image insecurities like i did when i was younger. I’m doing everything i can to make a difference. I want to be the change!! Life throws us struggles every single day… and before when i used to turn to binging then throwing it all up, i now turn to the comfort of knowledge and good health. Nothing can be more satisfying than sharing knowledge and living in great health. This is our life!! and we’re gonna take control of it. You’re doing awesome!! you took the step in the right direction towards a RAW lifestyle. Great for you!!! You’re rock’n it girl!!! Keep in touch!! 

Malynda

• I’ll say that I too have battled with both anorexia and bulimia in the recent past,(purging and overexcersizing…). Last summer I started trying to eat “normal” as I was with my friends like every second I could be…. and gained probably around 65 lbs. This past year, I was a junior in highschool, and it sucked because of the weight gain and the problems I had. I got so depressed and ashamed of it that I quit my job, and I went from hanging out with my friends every day to barely even wanting to go to school. I went thru “good” phases, in my mind, where I’d barely eat anything and workout for one to two hours everyday, overexcersizing again. Then, I’d binge and purge and feel like shit. I finally got into treatment around December of last year, and started to heal. I actually ate food, and worked out during the same time. Before, those two things never went hand in hand. But, I was still eating junk! I don’t really know what gave me the desire to go first vegetarian, but that lasted like two weeks til I went full on vegan. Even still, I work at a Panera, and this is gonna sound dumb, but the bagels were a major binging issue for me!! those and other cooked foods were the only things stopping me from being fully healed of this problem. So, I decided to go full raw. And it’s been about 2 months now or so, and I feel great. I’m back to working out like a gym rat with my bro bro and making sure that I get plenty of calories!! but, anyways, I have faith in you kedamono, and the loved ones around you will help you pull through it. Remember that the ED is NOT who you are, you have the power to break free from it. (and it sounds like you are off to a good start!!) ....and sorry this was sooo long!