Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouting and Germinating

Could everyone PLEASE post pics of how they sprout their grains, nuts, seeds??! I am trying to figure out the easiest/most effective way. The whole process is a bit confusing to me. What kind of containers do you use? What angles do you tip the jars at? HOW do you tip jars to let them drain…..all of those questions I’m not so sure about. Also I have roomates who aren’t raw and they hate all of my appliances/preparation products all over the place. Is it bad to keep my sprouts in the cupboard?? Thanks!

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I use a pint size wide mouth mason jar. I’ve replaced the solid part of the lid with unbleached cheese cloth. This makes it very easy to add water for rinsing, and then turn the jar upside down to drain the water out. I lay the jar on its side in a cool dark place (usually a corner of the counter) until it’s time for light exposure. Tipping is not necessary, as all the water pretty much drains out. Hope this helps. Sorry I don’t have any pictures to post.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

You might try checking out youtube. When I was unclear about sprouting buckwheat I happened to find a video on youtube that demonstrated the entire process. It also recommended using nutmilk or sprout bag that you hang up to keep it aerated, rather than a jar which I’ve tried and drove me nuts. Here’s the one I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqv65dhRgD4 Be patient through the intro, it gets more laid back and easy to listen to. Who would have known, apparently there’s a youtube video for everything?

• I eat “home-sprouts” a couple of times a day, and what I don’t eat immediately goes straight from the dark to my fridge . . . would you be so kind as to educate me about the ” . . . until it’s time for light exposure” reference? Also, this is my first time on (love this site!), and I don’t understand how to ask a question. Thanks in advance and Namaste.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Considering getting a Biosta Sprouter. It is so easy you could keep the sprouts in your room so it would not bug your roommates. It is cute too! No electricity involved and it honestly makes sprouting so easy I couldn’t believe it. all you have to do is but in your seeds, water and the sprouter does the rest. No tilting the jars and no rinsing. Just water once day and empty the water catcher on the bottom.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CC5IBW?smid=A1NWHV…

• I just posted a video I made about sprouting on my blog sarabethxvx.blogspot.com if you are interested… not to advertise my blog, just thought this may come in handy for you

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

One of the best sites for info on sprouting is www.sproutpeople.com. Just type in the sprout you’re interested in, say “buckwheat” and it’ll give you specific instructions on how to do it. I just use glass jars. I’d start with buckwheat since it’s so fast and easy. Happy sprouting!

• wow! so much information! thanks everyone! i’m LOVING sprouting!!!!! I love to make things grow. I wonder what it is about growing that’s sooooo beautiful