Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

chills through my body

Hi everyone, I have a sensitive body and often get chills throughout the day when other people around me are ok. Does anybody know what I might do to lessen this? I know my daily routine and eating habits would be important to know but right now I do get exercise and I feel like I am eating a healthy round of raw food varieties. Any information would help…Thanks!

Comments

• It might indicate an underactive thyroid problem. Do you have low energy, difficulty losing weight, and do you sleep at the drop of a hat?

I was given thyroid meds for this, which helped only a little. The only thing that worked 100% for me was to cut wayyyy back on simple carbohydrates and sugars (even fruit sugars) to about 60-80 grams per day, and no more than 20g at any one sitting.

• hmm. interesting. i do have the symptoms you are describing, although probably not too extreme. when cutting down on simple carbs and sugars, what did you find yourself eating mostly? i truly appreciate your response. i will have to research a little bit on thyroids. thank you janetfi

• mptraveller, I second janetfi’s comments. I had tingling and numbness in my fingers, almost like frostbite and suffer from chronic chills. I started taking kelp for an underactive thyroid about 1 1/2 months ago and have not experienced the numbness/tingling in my fingers since. I still experience chills, but to a lesser degree. Do some research and see if you have symptoms which indicate hypothyroidism. You can also get your blood/hair analyzed. Good Luck!

• ah yes. i researched a bit about hypothyroidism, i will watch my body, maybe find some kelp or something with a bit more iodine and see what turns out. thanks again!

• Hi mp. I wanted to go over your symptoms and see if you are feeling better. I think certain symptoms are serious and should be explored further.

Patients with B12 deficiency had a variety of signs and symptoms, including lassitude, fatigability, chills, numbness in the extremities (peripheral neuropathy), dizziness, glossitis, cervical leukoplakia, and erectile dysfunction. Of the 31 patients in the study, 24 (78%) had at least one symptom of B12 deficiency. Twelve had fatigability (39%), 10 had cold feet or legs (32%), 4 had numbness (13%), 4 had dizziness (13%), and 1 each had glossitis, leukoplakia, or erectile dysfunction (3%).

The mean serum B12 concentration among patients who received oral B12 administration increased rapidly (Table 2). Symptoms resolved comparably in patients who received enteral and parenteral B12 therapy. No patient of the 31 was found to have Barrett esophagus by endoscopic study.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender....

This is just one consideration you can look into. If you volunteered more info about you it would be easier to give you advice. The only vegan source is nutritional yeast. If you can stand it you could eat some eggs and see if you feel better. They also have choline in them that is necessary for memory function.

A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. It has a cheesy taste. Nutritional yeast is different from brewer’s yeast or torula yeast. those sensitive to other yeasts can often use it.

The RDA for adults for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms daily (1). About 2 rounded teaspoons of large flake Vegetarian Support Formula (Red Star T-6635+) nutritional yeast provides the recommended amount of vitamin B12 for adults (2).

Good luck!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Good info. writeeternity. I do caution you against nutritional yeast (though controversial in the raw food arena anyway…) due to the MSG reaction that can be associated with it. MSG is a neurotoxin and can be dangerous even in it’s more “natural” form.

• Hi- If you could explain more about this msg reaction that would be great. Why don’t raw foodists like to use yeast?

Here is something I read about throid function I thought was interesting.

When you take a close look at the health problems that have started to skyrocket in this country, an underproducing thyroid gland shows up as a common denominator in a surprising number of them.

Based on the research I’ve seen and conducted over the past decade, there are three primary reasons for the growing number of people with an unbalanced thyroid: selenium deficiency, iodine deficiency, and estrogen-like compound pollution.

If your thyroid gland function needs support, I recommend the following methods for improving your thyroid health.

Eat Selenium-rich Foods

Because selenium deficiency is a major factor in low thyroid function, you should regularly include selenium-rich foods in your diet. The thyroid produces several hormones, and must produce them in a somewhat balanced ratio. Without selenium, this balancing process is hindered.

Good sources of selenium in your diet, include: wheat germ, eggs, sunflower and sesame seeds, brazil nuts, mushrooms, garlic, onions, and kelp.

Supplement with Iodine

The most effective way to maintain thyroid gland function is to supply it with the proper iodine levels necessary for an increase in hormone production. Iodine is essential for the thyroid gland’s production of the hormone thyroxin, which the thyroid uses to regulate numerous functions—most importantly metabolism.

Note: Under no circumstances should you ingest antiseptic or topical iodine. Iodine food supplements are widely available. Start with four drops daily (dissolved in a large glass of water) for the first two weeks, and then reduce the dosage to two drops a day.

Avoid Iodine-Blocking Foods

Certain foods have a tendency to lower thyroid function and need to be avoided by people with underactive thyroids: soy (including tofu and soymilk), and raw forms of the following vegetables: turnips, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage, rutabaga, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cress, cauliflower, kale, and kohlrabi. Cooking these vegetables deactivates the iodine-blocking agent. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anything that does the same for the problem with soy.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

writeeternity, If you google msg you will find a TON of info. on msg reactions. Specificallyf or nutritional yeast, in the body it breaks down to the glutamate molecule which creates the negative reaction in many people, myself included, that are sensitive to MSG. A great book to read about the neurotoxic effects of MSG is Crazy Makers. You can find it on amazon.

Many raw foodists do not agree with eating nutritional yeast because 1) it is cooked to kill the yeast so candida doesn’t flurish in the body 2) it could be considered an animal source and 3) put the 2 together, and you have killed an animal which is against what most people who eat raw (raw/vegan) believe/want to do.

The info. on the foods to eat/avoid is great! I always prefer to avoid supplementing when at all possible, as I believe that my raw diet will give me everything I need. I have found the same info. and followed it throughout my struggles with hypothyroid. I do however slip on the broccoli and kale sometimes because I LOVE both of them. But, I limit intake to once a week at the most, lately it has been more like once a month as I am becoming more in tune with my body and what it wants/tells me it needs, etc.

• Hi guys! thanks for all the advice, very interesting. i am much more aware about this but i’m going to let my body work itself out. even if it takes awhile. i still am usually much colder than other people but that has been a long standing experience of mine and i have learned to wear warmer clothes and live with what my body tells me!

• Hi mptraveller,

I just made something for breakfast that would really warm you up! I used the eggless salad recipe but made it into a scrambled egg kind of thing that was actually really great tasting and very nutritious. I used to have cold hands at work to the point of having to run them under warm water just to be able to type.

I hope you have access to these ingredients because they are so good for you. I changed the recipe a little. I couldn’t find my apple cider vinegar so I didn’t include it in the recipe. I made 1\4 of the recipe to start and added a little purple onion chopped at the end, added the pumpkin seeds on top and added a few brazil nuts. To enhance the flavor I added a little cayenne pepper, and celery seeds. I hope you can try this because the brazil nuts and the pumpkin seeds are great sources of selenium and iron.

Another thing is to try to stretch more to get your circulation going. I hope this helps!

• try using some udos oil blend you might need the oils