Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mineral makeup?

I have just started using mineral makeup and it feels so good. Just wondering if it is bad.

I used to use some maybelline foundation that was 50% water and that felt good too but I don’t need liquid coverage anymore since I’ve been on raw and the mineral powder seems like the purest I could find. I that wrong?

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I think it depends on the brand – the ones at the drug store seem have lot of fillers. I use Demure brand from the health food store – they have very cool eyeshadow colors, but right now I’m just using the concealer which is a loose powder. Since going 100% and drinking green juices twice a day (no idea if this is the reason but it sounds good!) I only need it around my nose and eyes. You can check many brands here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch_fre…

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

thanks amysue! I agree that I definitely don’t “need” nearly as much makeup as my skin seems to be radiant on raw but I do like to even things up a bit and put mascara on. The mineral makeup I’m using only has a few ingredients but I’m not sure what’s mineral and what isn’t. There is zinc and calcium and iron. It really makes my face feel good:) hehe. But I’m open to options. Hopefully all the anti oxidants in these wonderful fresh organic blackberries I picked the other day will make it so I don’t need makeup at all! ha

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

I’m a fan of glominerals. i buy it online at dermstore.com.

• also was never a big fan of skin make-up however a friend just got me hooked on bareminerals made from 5 minerals from the earth for the skin powder it makes my skin feel truly amazing i feel like im selling this for an informercial but it truly is fantastic-bareminerals.com

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I just posted on my blog about my favorite makeup, hair, and body care products. My post is: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-favo…

Check out your products at Skin Deep to see how clean or toxic they are: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com

ALSO, check out this article about how some of the companies we thought were all natural… aren’t. http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/Dioxan…

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I use 100% mineral makeup from Innika and Jane Irdale. Both don’t have any fillers at all in their foundations, eyeshadows and blushers. The foundation powder from Jane Iredale is brilliant, and the Innika eyeshadows and blusher are amazing too. They are expensive but a little really goes a long way.

• Another fan of Jane Iredale makeup here!

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

I have been using bare minerals and I get tons of compliments on my skin (also I like that it has a bit of SPF, considering I live in a year-round sunny climate). It is probably not the best if you need heavy coverage, but I also think heavy coverage encourages the breakout cycle…

I will have to look at Jane Iredale – thanks for the tips ladies!

KristensRaw – i am with you on uncovering the companies that advertise themselves as “natural” – I get so upset when I go to the ‘big chain’ health food stores and all I can find are chemical ladden products masquerading as healthy because they used one organic ingredient amongst all the parabens and alcohols! Here is a woman I recently discovered that makes all of her products by hand and infuses them with energy using reiki: www.simplydivinebotanicals.com Hands down some of the most amazing skin care. If you are in the market you MUST try her Black Velvet Facial Wash. You WILL NOT regret it!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I got a free makeover at the 8th Day co-op using the Innika Mineral make up, it was brilliant. The advertsing sayd “Made OF Australia”!

I think anywhere they sell it they have someone trained in make overs to do you a nice fresh new face with their lovely colours. I stopped wearing make up, but I took it up again when I had that makeover, I just didn’t realise that wearing make up could actually do your skin good!!

The girl who did the makeover said that she buys her own rocks and grinds them down and makes her own mineral makeup She says there are loads of people who make their own. I wonder if anyone has a link to any info on this, I think it would be great fun to do.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Zoe, I found a website that has some limited info on making your own make-up using minerals. See: http://www.makeyourowncosmetics.com/index.asp

Good luck!

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hehe…hi,Zoe…do you mean you want to grind your own rocks ???(what fun!) the closest info i found is here

• I have done extensive research on “natural” skincare and makeup lines and what I discovered is most of the lines including whats recommended above with the exception of Simple Divine Botanicals are all formulated with one more more toxic ingredients. When it comes to mineral makeup- what you have to watch out for is a couple of things: nano-particles – many of them are created with nano-particles – toxic! and Bismuth Oxychloride which is a toxic unnecessary ingredient added as a filler that is irritating the skin. BareMinerals and Jane Iredale sorry to say both incorporate that ingredient in their product and I’m sure any drug store line falls in this category also. For more information- I encourage you to check out www.thegreenguide.com- and research their archives that have the article detailing this.

The line I would recommend for you that I personally use and would recommend would be BeautyWise cosmetics and you can purchase it athttp://www.bewellstaywell.com/face_powders.htm#... and for concealer I personally use and recommend earth’s beauty pot.

• What about lipstick or cheek stain? i tried using berries and coconut oi, but it didn’t stain.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

beetroot works a treat as lipstain and blusher. It just happens to be the perfect colour for my skin tone too ;)

carmentina and evergreen Cool that you found info on making your own mineral makeup, yup that is what I dream of doing!! The woman at the shop was talking about grinding her own stones with a special grinder.

• I spent hours on the cosmetic database above and the only powder that had no concerns was from coastal classic creations...bare minerals got horrible ratings for safety....I am surprised more people in the raw world don't go mostly chemical free...all that makeup I was using is loaded with chemicals...in the trash

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Thanks for bringing this around again. I have been using Bare Min. for years. Nice to have other, purer recommendations to look into.

• I'm not trying to pick a fight but I don't understand why anyone would wear any make up in this day and age. Or any day and age, really.

As vital, healthy women who are concerned about our health and environment, purity in our food, our household cleaning products and even our clothes, don't we want to show other women that eating better makes our skin beautiful and gives us confidence so we don't have to hide behind artificial, or even "natural" "beauty products"?

Are we so ashamed of our scars that we have to wear a mask every day? Are we still so into impressing men that we have to paint our lips and cheeks so they resemble a "heat"?

I am seriously confused by this. It seems like such a contradiction. Raw food and make up? How do these two things go together? Why would you support any company that tells you you need to hide your skin with paint? I mean, do what you want but...???

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't know anyone who wears makeup to hide anything. I wear it to accentuate my beauty, and it's fun for me to put on! It's for me, not for anyone else, so anyone's comments about it wouldn't really matter.

Others may feel differently, of course.

• Well, Zucchini breath, I can only answer for myself... I don't wear make up all the time, but when I do, I love the way I feel and look. That is not to say that I don't like the way I look or feel without it. I wear scrubs all day at work and I have no problem with the way I look, but when I get dressed up for a function I feel glamorous and goddess-like. Make up is part of that transformation for me :).

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I sell NVEY Organic eye shadows at my shop. I know they have an entire makeup line. I am not sure what is in the other makeup though I do know the eye shadows are made of corn silk. I have also purchased my own iron oxides in the past, I believe someone posted a site for it already. My skin care (stem organics) is also amazing. The moisturizers even your skin tone out so well that no makeup is needed, but I understand the fun and look of wearing makeup.

Zucchini wrote, "Are we still so into impressing men that we have to paint our lips and cheeks so they resemble a "heat"?"

I absolutely disagree with any heterosexual-biased and/or gender-biased point of view, that a woman's actions would be done for, or at the thought of, a man.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

zucchini breath,

I actually like your point of view. Somehow, where I grew up this is what the norm ended up being. I don't like to point fingers but I would be willing to bet most men looking at our 2 pics side by side would prefer your look so it's not like we're really doing it for them. The women around me would think it was weird if I suddenly never did it again so there ya go.

Now, almost everyone I know (present company excluded) also happens to think eating raw is weird. So I guess I got over that one but I'm gonna plead for mercy cause when I walk down the street no one can see my diet. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and will see if I can adjust my thinking on this one because I tend to see the contradiction here too.

Not to mention the sunscreen benefit of certain "makeups" and moisturizers.

• Thank you, everyone for your replies. I really appreciate your answers. Like I said, I'm not trying to start a fight, and Superfood2, you are right, some women do it to impress other women. That isn't the point.

I wore make up in high school, even fought my mother for the privilege to do so. She never wore more than some lipstick for very special occasions. didn't shave her legs, either. I realized pretty early on that foundation was what was making my acne worse and make up caked on acne looks a lot worse than just plain acne. I continued to wear mascara, lipstick, eyeliner, blush until just a few years ago when I started dating a beautiful punk rocker who told me to wash the crap off of my face, I was beautiful with out it. I tossed out all the make up and haven't turned back.

When i moved, ten years later, I found a lip liner. It was like a weird flash back. Spend hard earned money on make up, spend precious time putting make up on, refreshing it, washing it off with more expensive cosmetics, lather, rinse, repeat. I was a slave to it, just like I used to be a slave to shampoo, just like I used to be a slave to processed food, just like i used to be a slave to heroin.

To those of you who said "I wear it for me!" Well, yeah, but you can't even see your face unless you are looking in the mirror! And tell me you don't live in fear of smudges? I know I did.

We are all on the same path, some are here on it, some are there. I just wanted to put up a sign post for anyone who is looking for the off ramp out of make up city.

Again, thank you for your replies.

Gratefultobe, I seriously DOUBT if anyone would put our pictures side by side and pick me, but aww, shucks, thanks... that was sweet of you to say :)

• Okay, I do have to admit, I so sometimes live in fear of smudges :).

• oops, I mean, I DO sometimes live in fear of smudges :).

Zucchini Breath, it seems the way you talk, that you think everyone's experiences are going to be the same as yours, or everyone's thoughts are giong to be similar to yours. Just because you live your life (or lived past tense) to impress others doesn't mean that everyone has that type of life. My point wasn't that women wear makeup to impress other women; my point was that makeup can be for the wearer alone. I guess you might not ever understand this, and that's fine, but please don't continually post as if you know my or anyone else's thoughts or reasoning behind something. I work from home, soemtimes not leaving the house; those days, I still wear makeup. I suppose you can find some crazy reason for this, like I'm "impressing" my cats (though they find me more beautiful without makeup, thank you very much).

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I sort of agree with zuchhini breath. I think make up is an almost natural extention (or just a natural reflex) of female narcissism, which is a sexual instinct, and that it breeds competition between women.

Our societies are crowded with the clashing of wills, and it is really tiring. Causes people to short circuit and develep identity/body issues, from anorexia to fake lesbianism.

• Well speaking for myself...being raised on a dairy---by meat and potatoe eaters and continuing that lifestyle for lack of knowledge until the last decade or so and even then, still did crazy diets to control weight and yada yada yada the decades of bad eating have taken their toll. Sure I'm doing better and trying to go all raw but the damage is done and I KNOW what I look like without make-up! Until my cells have totally excreted all the years of toxins and abuse I have done to them I'm sticking with covering up some of the imperfections and trying to high-light the things I think are my better features. Am I narcisstic?? I don't think so. I know that I feel more confident with some coverage and because I FEEL that way I send that energy out. If I'm feeling negative and concerned about my dark under eyes or a little sun spot by my cheek, then it seems as all focus will be on them suckers. So why do that to myself?!! I want to feel good when I walk out the door. I don't wanna be mistaken for BeetleJuesse ya know what I'm sayin?!!

Sadly our society as a whole still does sum you up within the first 7 seconds of meeting you. I want my first impression to be good or at least acceptable. I don't want wrong judgements made about my lifestyle i.e. diet, sleeping or lack of, even thinking I'm a drinker [which I don't and never have] because my under eyes are darker than most. Yes they are less darker now, but still they are dark without some type of coverage. So until I become perfect [and that would be in death] I will wear some lite camoflauge.

Peace to you all.

Lo~

• In my opinion, make up is toxic and addictive. It's expensive and useless. It's a waste of time, money and resources. It's an unnecessary cause of stress.

You are beautiful just the way you are and you don't need any enhancing, even if you have a spot on your face or dark circles under your eyes.

Just like processed foods, booze, and cigarettes, cosmetics should be avoided. That's my point.

Cheers to you superfood2. I'm sure your cats love you either way. Maybe it's you, maybe it's Maybelline. Just kidding, don't be mad at me. :D