Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'll start tomorrow, OH, I mean the next day, or the next..

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I seriously screw up again. This is my third time screwing up, and this time it was really done in style. Can I tell you all how it was NOT worth the trouble? I’ve been waking too early to use the potty, I have a horrid rash, too much mucous, Itchy everywhere, and I’m not sleeping well, oh, and I think I probably gained 10 lbs. I at least gained two inches. I have some rash spots that will not heal well right now, because I keep scratching away. So far, the ONLY symptom I haven’t gotten back yet, is my hypoglycemia. I keep telling myself I will start again tomorrow. Tomorrow comes, and I eat raw half of the day, and mess up again. I have got to say, that this is the worst off that I have been in a long time. Seriously, I will make this beautiful yummy salad, and then when I’m done with that, a few hours later, I’d eat a sandwich. I know some of you have told me to get that crap out of my house, so I am DUCKING now, as you throw anything BUT good tomatoes at me. LOL What started it, is us not having a whole lot of money for a good month, so Bought bread, pbandJ, cheap crap. I can’t stop eating it now. :-( I’m starting again today, and it is real this time. Wish me luck.

Comments

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

Are you trying to be 100% raw? I’ve found that when I try to do 100% I end up screwing up bad after a few weeks. I just do high raw with some simple cooked foods (like vegetables, oatmeal, and quinoa). Maybe 100% raw just isn’t for you.. it wasn’t for me. Eating a small serving of healthy, cooked whole grains a day takes away my cravings for stuff like bread. I think it’s healthier to not be completely raw that being completely raw and bingeing on junk every few weeks. Obviously 100% raw is preferable, but it isn’t for everyone.

People aren’t going to like my advice.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

haha I like your advice. I feel the same way….I’m doing 100% raw but that’s only because my personality is all or nothing. Some of my family members were inspired by the raw idea but couldn’t do it all the way and so they include some cooked food and it works better for them …..at least for now.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have done the same as you, more than once – I get stressed because money is short, and I think eating raw is too expensive, or too stressful when I’m already stressed, etc. I have found, though, that if I eat cooked food, I don’t feel good. The healthier the cooked food, the longer it takes to feel bad, but I can afford raw just about as well as healthy cooked foods, so I’ve found it’s worth it to me to do water fasts – one meal a day for a while or something – when money is tight. Sprouting helps with the money situation, too. If you do decide to eat some cooked foods, my son isn’t all raw, and he loves baked potatoes (cheap) with raw oil & sea salt put on them after cooking & opening them up. Black beans are pretty cheap, too. Neither of those things made me feel as bad as most other cooked foods, at least not as quickly.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

angie – i know it’s not raw, but if you like black beans—black bean hummus is very good – did you ever try it? It’s tasty, cheap, and a rather healthy snack to fix for yourself or your non-raw family or friends.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

saraw – if this is the right thing for you, you’ll come around. Just take it one day at a time, what matters is the moment in front of you right now, and if you’re not ready you’re not ready. I fell down a slippery slope of cooked food in the last few months and then I happened upon the book Raw Success and I had a complete turn around. I’ve had ups and downs like that for the past year but I try to remind myself that I ate cooked food for my entire life up until last year, so even 50% raw was a huge change for me. Hang in there!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Never tried it – my family might like it – how do you make it?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

saraw, it doesn’t sound like a raw diet is the best for you right now but from what I remember you are allergic to wheat. you honestly have to stop eating wheat. i have celiac and you have no idea how much better you will feel off wheat for a few months.

PLEASE STOP EATING GLUTEN!!! get some gluten-free bread if you must eat bread (NOT spelt). get yourself into a celiac support group and start taking care of yourself. tosses tomato Or like Kelley said eat quinoa and rice, etc just not wheat. grains are not that expensive. Once you have been off wheat for a few months then give raw a try.

Someone on another forum mentioned having a “safe” food that is always around and doesn’t have to be prepared. For me this is bananas. For some it is apples and almond butter. Find something wheat-free that is cheap and easy to prepare.

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

that’s an excellent suggestion bitt ;) Whenever I am craving something SAD, IF I choose to eat a banana first and then decide what I’m going to do with the craving, there is never any craving after the banana to even deal with.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Cucumbers are mine! I always have them around. They are perfectly neutral in flavor and not too sugary OR bland, and are a great reminder to stop, think, and to put the (fill in the blank) down. If I do stray off path, eating a cucumber automatically makes me feel more balanced again. Crazytown.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Wait, sorry, I just realized that’s not really on topic with Saraw’s original forum topic. Saraw—don’t worry about it. The absolute hardest thing about going raw is the transition time, and we all fuck up (scuse my French). There is always tomorrow.

So let’s assume that you have a bunch of non-raw foods in your house right now, and you fear binging on them! Try putting a piece of scotch tape or a brightly colored sticker at the seal of the container, whatever kind of container it is. The added effort then that is needed to break that new seal becomes a reminder to take it easy and think about whether or not that food should enter your mouth. I did this with peanut butter while living with a cookedfood vegetarian, and it helped.

Bitt—this might be ignorant, but what is celiac? I’ll google it, but I want to hear what you have to say/why you have it/how raw foods helps it?

• KelleyS – i also like your advice. i ate raw til dinner for a very long time, and just made sure to have a healthy well-combined cooked meal for dinner. eventually the transition to all the way just felt natural. and if at any point i really feel the need to, i know that healthy cooked options are still there for me to help me out.

and i agree with bitt about the gluten. i had to just cold turkey STOP buying bread. i couldn’t not eat it if it was around. i don’t like wasting food, but when i was transitioning i went through my kitchen and tossed everything that was going to be a bad temptation, and donated canned items to a shelter. just bite the bullet… once it’s in the trash there’s no turning back! (and chances are you’re not going to drive to the store late at night when the craving strikes so you’ll get used to making better food choices out of necessity) soon enough your tastes may begin to naturally change on their own.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

sorry celiac disease is what a lot of people have who cannot digest gluten. not everyone who can’t eat gluten has it.

http://www.celiac.com/ http://www.gluten.net/