Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Lion video - don't miss it!

amysueamysue Raw Newbie

This has been on the news recently and I hadn’t seen it until I found it on Angela Stokes blog. I could watch it all day long… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYbFQFXG0U If you’re having a bad day this should do the trick!

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I have no idea why, but I get seriously choked up every time I watch this!

• What an awesome video! Thanks for sharing. It made me cry too!

• awww. that is most precious. i love this stuff.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I do to kandace, but my daughter was full on sobbing, dripping tears all over me, the first time I showed it to her. It’s seriously one of the most lovely things I’ve ever seen, right up there with the story of Owen and Mzee – the tortoise that adopted the baby hippo after the tsunami.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Please tell me about owen and mzee I have never heard of them!! Is there a link or a youtube vid?

Yes this Lion video makes me cry buckets too!

• A friend sent this to me a while back, and I completely dissolved watching it.

• lovely

• That is such a sweet video, but I’m really surprised that the lioness allowed them to pet her. That was the part that blew me away.

Now I want a lion hug!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I was amazed also… and then I had a shift in thinking about animals… of course a lion (or any animal including humans) can communicate about something being safe or dangerous… even a human’s touch. I’m a sucker for the interspecies stuff… sob sob

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

awwww…tearing up too.

• Bluedolfin, articulate as usual. You hit the nail on the head. I wish all people who eat meat or hunt could see this because it shows that all creatures are capable of connection and emotion. It always amazes me that pet owners can ooh and ah over their cats and dogs and then eat a steak. In the end, what is the difference? It’s a sentient being; just because it doesn’t necessarily sit it your lap doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a whole range of emotions. I’m not anthropomorphizing here, just echoing what was evident in the film.

Mon46~ Um… well… I (and many others that contribute to this site) am one of those people you talk about. Will you still talk to me? :( I also wonder what will be “obvious” in the future that we are “ignorant” of today. Will plants be considered another species of the animal kingdom? Could plants have all the traits of animals, just we are unable to understand them? It was not long ago that many thought some people were “less human” than others because of the color of one’s skin (or one’s gender preference or beliefs, etc)... seems very obvious today (to most) how absurd that is/was. hmmmm… something to make one’s head explode. ;)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Wow! I just watched that video a little while ago – thanks to the link here by amysue and then I found it also posted to Crooks & Liars!
    Awesome!
    C&L is the political blog that gives us the stories Mega-Corporate Media won’t.
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/23/what-a…
    But I promise I won’t get too political here. Just as we all have our own food preferences…. politics can be a hot button for some…. and I don’t wish to detract from the beauty of the film…

• O.K., thanks for making my head explode! But your answer brings up the very positive point I made about you. And yes, I will always talk to you Bluedolfin. Guess I have to mention that my hubby (whom I love dearly) continues to eat steak and ooh and ah over our 2 cats. Busted! But believe me, every now and then when I’m tempting the fates, I gently point that out to him (and then wait for the fallout). I get a little crazy about this stuff because I have such a visceral reaction about animals. Anyway, thank you for your honesty. I do recognize that although I’ve put it in black and white terms, that this is a complex issue. And because I live with a meat eater who has shown kindness to animals (not just ours), over and over in our daily life, I really have to monitor what I say.

Zoe – ahhh, Owen and Mzee. Not long after the tsunami when we were all feeling wretched and wrecked (we lost a friend in Thailand), an article turned up in the paper about a baby hippo in Africa that had been washed down a river by the tsunami, away from it’s home. It was rescued and taken to some kind of sanctuary where it developed an attachment to a tortoise who seemed to find it a bit odd at first, but then warmed up to him and eventually they became inseparable, in a parent/child kind of way, not in a romantic way. It didn’t even matter what the story was, the photo of the baby hippo snuggled up next to that big tortoise was one of the best things I had ever seen. I cut it on and taped it above my desk where it remains today. Eventually a children’s book was written about the pair and now I find this wild website: http://owenandmzee.com/omweb/

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUEDOLPHIN – When I was reading Mon’s post I was thinking exactly what you posted. There was a time when the plight of animals was ignored because they were seen as less than humans. As scenarios were publicized showing how animals could loved and displayed attachments we thought were unique to humans, concern for animal welfare was mainstreamed. We know that plants respond to environmental cues like music, so why would we assume they aren’t sentient? Perhaps they just can’t communicate it in a way that is obvious to humans.

AMYSUE – That video was moving. Thanks for posting it.

Mon46~ Thank you for your generous comments. It sounds like something is bothering you or you are conflicted over that is not this issue directly. I’m not necessarily suggesting you explore it here if you don’t want to, I’m simply acknowledging it.

Mon46 & Meditating~ This is the type of stuff that makes my head explode and heart expand… where my “beliefs” are in conflict with my actions. It should be black and white and easy!!!!! Oh, and of course that I am so right about it! Grrrrr! See with those dang animals do to us. ;). The folks here that contribute different views have expanded what I believe is so around wellbeing… similar to when one trains in a martial art… the more one learns, the more one realizes they know bupkiss… :) After I pick up the pieces of my exploded head, how do I get out of my own way? :|

To add to “impossible” matches, check out this video.

• Beautiful, beautiful video. I made a conscious decision to come home tonight and spend some quality time with my cat – my coworkers don’t understand – I don’t care and now feel doubly good about my decision. She is my best friend.

Oh, Karuna, that made it all worth it!! I’ve been away from my dog for a week and I know when I see her tomorrow she’s going to do all the same things as Christian does in the video, she puts her paw up on my shoulders and kisses me.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUEDOLPHIN – I don’t know how we put our heads back together. I suspect we are suppose to keep disassembling them. It seems the more you think the more questions you have. Maybe that’s the point.

• Seeing this kind of stuff always reminds me that God does exist.

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

That was really beautiful. It instantly makes me think of God’s promise to restore the earth to paradise-soon-and in Isaih where it speaks about humans living harm free and close to animals! (Isaiah 11:6-9) 6 And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. 7 And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. 8 And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. 9 They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters are covering the very sea.

I just had a funny thought… what do you think the lioness said to the lion after the meeting with the humans?

Karuna~ Many understand. :) When I had my four-leggeds, no matter how crappy my day was, when I got home, one of them (or more) would jump onto my lap, rev up that motor, and bring back the love.

Meditating~ I don’t know about you, but the more I think, the more things go down hill… :(

FYI… recently some of the news stations have been showing a follow up on the Lion video. There was a documentary made in the ‘70’s about the guys and the lion. For once, the amazing is REAL!!!

• wow wow wow, bluedolfin, i woke up this morning with this lion video on my mind and i was going to shout out to amysue about it again as i was thinking of posting on this thread once more to bring some sweet positivity back to the top of other stuff! that is so cool – that here you did it. : ) my family loves this.

mamamilk~ Thankx. But credit goes to elizabethh getting excited on a new thread about the video. I was simply responding to her.

• yes i saw that thread too. heehee

btw: i like your picture. whales and dolphins are my favorite animals. amazing lives they lead.

I needed to go back too! Lion therapy.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Amazing gorgeous video, seen the one where they meet his cubs yet??

Here it is..

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/campaigns/big-cats/a…

Born free helped release Christian, you can buy the whole film about his story, sponsor a lion, get more info etc all through this link to the born free org. What a great gift for someone hey? I think My Dad would love it, thats Christmas sorted!

Enjoy and get the tissues out again, original commentary & soundtrack.

I found this thread through elizabeths link, I think this one’s on you tube too but like the fact its through born free.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Forgot to say ‘scroll down’ but sure everyone’ll figure that out..

P.S – Talking about that ‘human/animal link’ earlier – This bit got me (from the website);

‘Nine months later in 1974, John and Ace returned to Kora in Kenya. Christian had not been seen for nine months but appeared the day before them, seeming telepathically to know of their arrival.’

Brilliant.