Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Has anyone healed an ailment with raw food?

Hi. I would like to know if anyone here has had a particular condition that was cured or partially cured through the implementation of a raw diet. I have a lot of joint pain and am hoping to hear from anyone who may have had positive results in this area particularily but any area would be encouraging for me.

I bought a yucca root yesterday and wanted to eat it for it’s anti-inflammatory properties. I feel better today but was not on my feet as much. I am going to continue to eat it as much as possible and see what happens. I dipped pieces of it in olive oil and dehydrated it. They tasted like hard french fries.

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I have almost completely cured my hypothyroid by going raw. This upcoming week I will be trying to only put spirulina in my green smoothies to see if I can maintain thyroid health with the spirulina alone instead of taking the kelp suplement I have been taking (500-600 mg) PLUS the spirulina. Prior to raw, I took a naturopathic thyroid medication.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

MSM is supposed to be great for your joints! It supposed to help for lots of things. I have been taking it and my hair is growing in thicker. I have been using the lotion on my skin and my acne scars are almost gone! This only after two months too!

My bf is taking it for his joints and he says they feel so much better.

• Wow- Thanks for the info! =z)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

walnuts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds and flax seeds are good for joint pain as they contain good oils.

• I work with a Naturopath and she gave me a list of anti-inflammatory foods for my back pain… I am starting to go 80% raw today due to this pain (as well as overall joint pain so we are in the same boat)... Here’s the list:

- Foods that Fight Pain—> Ginger #1, Tumeric, Celery, Spinach, Blueberries, Pineapple, Omega-3 Oils (Flaxseed and Fish Oils), Cherries and Papaya.

- Pain Safe Foods (studies show these foods virtually never contribute to pain)—> Brown Rice, Cranberries, Prunes, Broccoli, String Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Asparagus, Pears, Artichokes, Lettuce & Squash

- Major Triggers for Joint Pain—> Dairy #1, Corn, Bell Peppers, Wheat (Oats & Rye), Eggs, Oranges, Grapefruit, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Meats, Nuts, Coffee, Shellfish & Alcohol

Each person has different triggers, so you don’t have to cut all of these things out (read nuts, fruit and veggies) but depending on how they affect your pain (you can determine that through an elimination diet), they should be eaten in moderation compared to the fighting foods and pain safe foods… Hope that helps!

• Hi Azuraskai! Thanks for the info. I love all the nightshade plants and trigger plants you mention. I haven’t tried the elimination diet yet but since going raw I have cut out potatoes, wheat, meat, and rarely eat oranges so that is a start. I have been eating more flax seed, celery and cherries lately.

That is a beautiful picture. Is that a dish you made? Thanks Zoey for your advice as well. I have been craving pumpkin seeds and have eaten walnut taco meat lately.

If anyone is interested I saw this today and was amazed by all of the medicinal properties this herb has.

ECHINACEA (ECHINACEA PURPUREA OR ECHINACEA ANGUSTIFOLIA)

This perennial herb is also known as the Purple Coneflower. It is a very common and popular garden flower, and can grow up to five feet high.. It contains vitamins A, C, and E as well as the minerals copper, iron, iodine, sulfur, and potassium. Echinacea also has the compounds inulin, sucrose, betain, echinacein, myristic acid, echina coside, resins and other various fatty acids. This herb is frequently called the “King of Blood Purifiers”. Avoid use of this herb if you are allergic to Daisies, or are suffering from tuberculosis, collagen disorders or multiple sclerosis.

HISTORY: Native American Indians discovered this antibiotic herb originally on the Central Plains of the United States. They used it for it’s external wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties. German researcher Dr. Gerhard Madaus imported the seeds to Europe and did extensive studies on its immunositumulating properties. It is one of the most popular over-the-counter remedies in the nation of Germany now. In Germany alone, there are over 180 different products from Echinacea sold.

INTERNAL USE: Use Echinacea as a tea, tincture, capsule or as a fresh herb to help bronchitis, bladder infections heal wounds, sore throats, improve the immune system, recover from colds faster urinary tract infections and yeast infections. The betaine in Echinacea has antiseptic properties. Betaine and caffeic acid glycosides help rearrange and reorganize the enzyme system within the body, which thus helps to remove viruses, as well as help heal some forms of cancer. The myristic acid works on reducing fatty tissues and lowers serum cholesterol.

EXTERNAL USE: A balm of Echinacea can reduce swelling of tissues, and heal wounds and cuts.

• I cured my Prostate Cancer – small tumor, Gleason 6 – with 18 months on Raw Vegan diet. LOTS of sprouts. LOTS of greens. LOTS of wheatgrass juice. Very little fruit during that period. I also worked on my emotional and spiritual state with many healers. That was equally as important as the healing diet. Did everything I could to remove stress from my life. To just relax… Not an easy thing for us in this culture. We are always being stimulated by something. Food, entertainment, city noise, etc. How to let it all go…? and breathe deeply and simply?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

would an ulcer count? I know its not a biggie, but at least I have no more pain in the gut :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I think I was depressed when I was cooked vegan. I didn’t realise it at the time, but compared to how I feel raw, I think I must have been depressed. The difference is like night and day.Sometimes you just don’t realise what a state you’re in until you are healed from it and look back.

• I cured my ulcerative colitis 100% with a clean diet and natural hygiene. The thing most of you don’t seem to understand is that thinking something is going to heal or cure a condition is incorrect. That is allopathic medicine thinking. No food, herb, pill, medicine or anything else will ever cure or heal or prevent any condition. It might appear to be better due to the symptoms being not as strong or even gone but you are just playing a shell game by blocking one symptom and probably creating a much worse condition in the future. The body is the ultimate healer and it will strive to maintain perfect health given the correct environment. If you have taken the big step towards health by trying a raw lifestyle – then at least give your body more credit by allowing it to heal the damage you have done to it in the past without any food that the mainstream says ‘is good for X or Y’. These foods do not and will not cure or heal but mask symptoms by creating an imbalance in your body. Eventually this imbalance will reverse and the problem will come back a lot worse.

• Zoe, I was depressed to before I went raw. The difference is definitely night and day!

• My initial reason for going raw was because i had gotten very sick and doctors couldnt tell me why. After countless hospital visits, and a plethera of drugs, and no answer and no cure i decided to go completely natural. They suspected i had a brain tumor, possibly Epstein Barr, and maybe some other things. My bloodwork was all over the place. I was having seizures, blackouts etc.. Ive been raw just over 3 months now, and havent had an incident since. My latest round of tests came up completely normal. (the doctors insisted they repeat the tests – they were sure something must have been done wrong. The results were so messed up before – for them to be so normal now seemed like an impossibility). Since being raw, no more headaches, no more seizures, no more fatigue, no more depression. Ive dropped 30 lbs in 12 weeks, i am more focused and confident and emotionally stable. All in all – id saw going raw was the best thing Ive ever done!

• PamPam

That’s absolutely wonderful, Odessa. I wonder if a raw diet might work for a friend of mine who has MS. What do you eat in a typical day? Are you following 80/10/10 or something different?

Pam

• Hi there,

I healed from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, panic attacks and anxiety, obesity,hormonal imbalances and chronic bladder infections and pain via the raw diet, eating mostly a high fruit, low fat diet.

Gotta love raw!!!!

All the best,

Audrey

• Pam - Thanks! I dont follow any type of plan – i just listen very closely to my body. Generally, i eat fruit up until noon, and veggies/nuts/seeds after that. I stay gluten and sugar free, and try to keep my meals simple but with a lot of variety. I am convinced that being raw would help anyone who gave it a fair chance. I noticed the biggest differences when i got rid of the gluten and the sugar. I think once i stopped putting toxins in, my body was finally able to devote energy to healing itself instead of trying to deal with the garbage i was giving it!Ive already converted my parents, and im working on my brother. (hes in the military, and deployed overseas 300 days a year – so its hard to find food he can travel with because he never knows when/where he’ll get his next meal. Hes trying hard though! )

• spirited mama,

I am interested in knowing more about how you cured your hypothyroidism. I am currently taking 150 mg of Armour and still have symptoms. I also have adrenal burnout and was told to take hyrdrocortisone which scares me. Anyway, about Kelp I was told that against what I heard and read about it being good for the thyroid that you had to take a liquid form of iodine not from sea vegetable source. I tried that and it did not seem to help. Maybe I will try the kelp and spirulina. Tell me more please.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My brother is a heart surgeon, I tell him about raw food, he sees what it has done for me, and Chris, and he changes nothing. Not his diet, or his kids, nor does he advise his heart patients they can be permanently cured. We tell him, if he went raw, as a doctor he could be a great raw food guru, not interested. It is so, so sad. Hearing all your stories makes me think of him and my dad who is a GP, and the miserable jobs they do, and how it could be so different for them. I mean, they could actually have patients who get better, permanently, that would be a novelty for them…

• PamPam

Thanks, Odessa. It’s great that your family is so open to raw. Of course, it makes total sense to us, but parents don’t always see it that way. Raw has done a lot for me, too, but nothing so drastic as your own healing. Well done!

cskinner, I was taking armour thyroid and/or thyrolar for a few years before going to just kelp. I did alot of research and got the o.k. from my naturopath. I started out taking almost 800 mg and then decreased it to 500-600mg after about a year, along with taking spirulina every day. I still had a bit of a goiter when I was taking the thyroid meds, but once i switched to kelp and spirulina, my goiter went away. I am on day 3 of just spirulina and so far still no goiter, my energy remains up, and my moods are stable. So far so good. I will give it another month or so however before I know for sure if I can stay with just spirunlina. I always use my energy level, mood, and whether or not I have a goiter as my guide for how to proceed.

• cskinner and spirited mama, that sounds a little dangerous. If you have an “Any lab test” around I would go there and get some blood work done to not only check the levels but to have documentation of the results you are experiencing. I have heard the amino acid tyrosine can help low thyroid and that some people have a hard time accessing tyrosine metabolically, because it is party activated through contact with ultraviolet rays and getting enough sunlight. But this would be just to increase energy levels and wouldn’t affect something like a goiter. I do believe that certain types of sea vegetables can heal certain deficiencies thus disease. If you take a look at the different kinds of seaweed some are high in certain micronutrients and other types are high in completely different ones. So all seaweed is not the same except maybe in the iodine catagory- but this should be verified.

If a Dr. wants to put you on hydrcortisone that is really scarry because either he is an idiot or you have something really bad that makes sense to take a drug like that. For instance if your body was eating itsself alive as in autoimmune diseases or if you could go into adrenal shock and die at any moment- that would be a good reason. John F. Kennedy had adrenal disease that was serious and he could have a crisis that could send him into shock so he is an example of addisons disease- a serious adrenal condition. I wouldn’t want to see you suffer from the myriad of disorders associated with taking hydrocortisone over an extended period of time unless he was looking for a permanent patient. You could get male pattern balding, increased facial hair, increased weight gain, and break downs of certain tissues in the body that can’t be reversed once the damage is done. Take care!

• Working on my diabetes through the raw diet. I am insulin dependent and have to take insulin when my sugar is high (pretty much all the time). I have been noticing a big differnce with the raw diet, My sugar levels are down (but still high), and I am using far less insulin. Also I have slid back to cooked foods a few times, and each time there is a big jump in my sugar levels. I believe that 100% raw diet (if done properly) will reverse this disease and getting me completly off my meds. Only time will tell, but the last few weeks have been encouraging.

• azuraskai thanks for the info on back pain. I am arthritic in my neck and spine (it sucks getting old). Will be implementing your suggestions in my diet.

writeeternity, Thank you for your concern….I actually work very closely with a naturopath who monitors me every step of the way. I do get regular blood tests, but for me, the real litmus test is how I feel and what I see in the mirror, because for years I KNEW I had a thyroid problem and NOBODY would believe me because every test the regular medical society gave me came up negative. It wasn’t until I found a naturopath who trusted that because I too was a medical professional and knew how to do my research that I may have a clue what I was talking about. (Not to say that people who are not medical professionals can’t self-diagnose as well.) I have read about the tyrosine as well…thank goodness I live in Flagstaff, AZ (7000 feet with LOTS of high UV), so I get that UV and healthy vit. D. My garden LOVES it too! I get to harvest my first red lettuce this week- YUM!

• I am new to raw and was brought to it because of various persistent ailments. I’m going on my 4th week and the first ailments that seem to have been cured so far are sleep (i have had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep for over a year – now that is absolutely not an issue, i sleep like a rock for 8 hours and wake up before my alarm, what an AMAZING transformation), energy levels are great and I’m carried right through that previously difficult “3pm crash time” and dandruff (no more itchy head!).

I’m working on Candida/yeast (so i have to watch my fruit intake) and food allergies. I have tried everything “western medicine” advised for 7 years with no luck improving these, I have no doubt that good food is the missing link.

• writeeternity, when I first discovered Raw foods I found these books to be very inspirational: “The Hippocrates Diet” by Ann Wigmore and “Living Foods Lifestyle” by Brenda Cobb. Both women healed themselves from cancer. Brenda Cobb now runs a Living foods health center in Atlanta, and Ann Wigmore used to run the Hippocrates Health Institute in Boston, which I think is now in New Mexico. Hope this helps.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

ENLARGED TASTEBUD – caused by food allergy??? Did juice fast, gone by 2nd day, never returned.

BACK & NECK PAIN, ARTHRITIS – pain lessened greatly when I juiced pineapples (MUST include the outside and core of the pineapple for the bromelain), this is also great for arthritis.

ACID REFLUX/INDIGESTION – goes away in 15 seconds when I drink 2 teaspoons of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. Some people drink up to 2 Tablespoons of it. This worked GREAT when I was pregnant and had horrible problems in my last few months! Dr. said take Pepsid (horrible suggestion!!!), but tried this and it worked like magic!

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I was depressed. I wasn’t happy unless I had sugar and chocolate…now I stay away from it, because it’s basically a drug. I couldn’t get motivated to do anything, but now I’m more focused peaceful, motivated, and I have a speak slowly think quickly mindset. It really is amazing.

• Here is a blog from a guy who is working with Doug Graham (the 80/10/10 doctor) to get off insulin. He is a type 1 diabetic.

http://robertbarbaro.zaadz.com/blog

You can see the truly amazing results in the drop in his insulin use in just 4 months.

Thanks SocaL, I will be looking in to this for my mom who will be visiting for a month and has said she will try raw while she is visiting! She has type 2 diabetes and I am hoping I can show her that raw can help.

• spirited mama,

thanks for the information about hypothyroidism, I too get my tsh levels checked regularly. I hate being dependent on a prescription drug and would love to find a way to decrease or eliminate the need to take thyroid medication. Unfortunately I am not 100% raw yet. I did get some Licorice Root yesterday to help with my adrenal problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will help. Looking into NOW’s thyroid activator formula with kelp and ashwagandha. Would like to find a source of Panax Ginseng. Anyone else have experience with Thyroid or Adrenal problems out there?