Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw FISH and RAW cheese

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hello ,

i am curious to know if some of you eat raw fish and /or raw cheese sometimes. I restart my raw diet since 5 days and i am doing fine. But for that moment i can’t give up totally for raw cheese and also, i ate raw fish today. I add lime juice, and it was delicious.

So, some of you eat any fish or cheese sometimes? thanks! Karine

Comments

• No, never. When I ate dairy my skin was horrible; I used to break out all over my face and body.

Eating a dead fish is disgusting to me because of the amount of pollution contained in these animals’ flesh. It doesn’t matter if they’re farmed or wild, their flesh is contaminated with toxins; so, I wouldn’t do that either.

Plus, you know, wouldn’t want to steal milk from an animal or kill a fish.

• i eat sashimi relatively often. i get unbelievable cravings for it and i feel better when i eat it. and that doesn’t bug me, although sometimes i feel like people look down on it. shrug i gotta do what i gotta do.

• i haven’t eaten any fish in a really long time, but i definitely have it in my head that i’ll eventually have some salmon sashimi, and maybe do so every so often. i’ve always felt great when i have had some, and gosh i wish i could site the source, but my sister (as an argument against my diet ha) told me she had read an article about how humans starting to eat fish was probably what caused the human brain to evolve differently than apes’. i read a lot about how humans’ digestive systems can’t have evolved since we started eating cooked foods bc it hasn’t been millions of years yet, which makes sense to me, but i have never read any raw foodist theories about what brought on the evolution of humans’ ability to reason and invent etc etc. i’d be interested to hear any of your theories :)

anyways, on a day to day and week to week basis i’m vegan, but overall i like the term a friend of mine has used for herself, “freegan”. although she uses it when she eats pizza… which i dont’ do. i’m a lover of animals and the ethical side of the vegan diet interests me, but i do put my health first and right now i’m sort of torn about it. i just kind of think at some point i’ll want some sashimi and i’ll have it and if i feel sick i won’t ever again, but if i feel good, then well yeah. and the number of japanese folk who have lived to be over 100 on a high fish diet also makes me wonder…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I believe that animal products are bad for my health, and bad for the environment, and bad for the animals so I never touch them. Being vegan suits my Mind, Body and Soul perfectly.

I never feel I am missing out, we make the best ever raw cheese ( see here!), and I love seaweed, what else could a girl want?!

• I don’t think eating raw fish is wrong, provided you have hunted and killed it yourself. It might not be the most healthful choice considering mercury levels in our waters. I don’t think you will be wild harvesting any raw cheese, so that is out. Contributing to the comodification of living things is wrong. “veganism” as a rule of no animal products is mostly conceptual. The idea should be about compassion and making a clear statement that animal industry is wrong. NO food is truly vegan from the perspective of not consuming animal products or economically supporting the industry. Seaweed which is wild harvested often contains little shellfish and mollusks, which did give their life for our ability to eat seaweed. Is this ethically wrong, no it is life. Most organic fruit and green leafies contain bugs. Ask any organic nut producer what do that do about the squirels? they shoot them, thats what. Not so compassionate right? Do the best you can, with what you have right now. Try to get as much of your food homegrown, wild harvested, or post consumer as you can… and always be focused on a goal.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I went through a bad few weeks of eating raw dairy and let me just say it didn’t suit me well. After breastfeeding age, all animals and people lose the ability to produce lactase, needed to digest lactose, which makes it not appropriate to eat dairy products, whether they be raw or cooked. No animals but humans eat milk products. Interesting, huh? Pretty telling.

Since we are animals and it is not wrong for an animal to kill another animal provided it is a mainstay of their diet. But it really isn’t known yet whether humans were meant to be raw vegans or raw carnivores. I know vegan food tastes better, though. hehe

I like my vegan food though, and probably don’t feel comfortable eating raw fish, but my cat certainly would.

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

When i’ve been 100% raw vegan for sometime, i start to feel weak and sick.. dunno why. I still feel good over all but i’ll start to feel as if there is something im not getting? So i’ll eat some raw fish… not all the time only when i feel i need it. Im against dairy but if you like it, go for it. Your body will let you know when it’s time to stop. :)

• I was eating sushi about once a week after going raw. I just really looked forward to it so that is what I did. I have just gotten to the point that now instead of that I would much rather go to my local raw food restaurant and eat something yummy there so now I guess I can say that I am a 100% raw vegan. Oh, I also just had to have my raw mayo made out of a few eggs for a honey mustard dressing on my salad. I am now not needing that, I instead just make a honey mustard vinaigrette that I like just as well. These were transitional foods for me so I would just encourage you to keep on till you decide you can go a step further.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

yeah, it’s funny… salmon sushi / sashimi is the one thing that I find a bit challenging to give up. Maybe I was a bear in another life – kidding, :) duh
    But seriously I was more than happy to give up meat, poultry, and all dairy… don’t miss them at all!
    I guess I’m what you would call a Pescetarian. But I have fish so infrequently that I’m almost a vegan.
    OK—I’m an ‘aspiring – raw – vegan’ :)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

PS—I’m so envious of (but happy for) those who have raw food restaurants nearby!
    But I am grateful that at least there is a vegetarian deli where I live. Although most of their food is cooked they do occasionally offer a raw dish now & then.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

The week after I transitioned to a vegan diet from a vegetarian one, my soul, mind, and body reached an incredible high that (until that point) I had never reached before! I realized that we are simply not meant to put any sort of animal product into our bodies. Plus, I’ve been vegan for 5 years and exist just FINE!!! Why turn back?!? There is just no good enough reason. Not environmentally, not physically, not mentally, not spiritually, not politically, not ethically….you get my point :)

• Listen to your body, listen to your soul. If both are in alignment, you should be all set.

If you are asking how raw fish and cheese function for me personally, it works just fine. Maybe at another time, I will decide differently, but right now, I eat what my body asks for as long as it doesn’t conflict with my soul… and for each person that’s different…

so be quiet and listen, you’ll have your answer…

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I eat raw fish when I get a chance to. Not too often. I like it. It makes me feel stronger and it digests very well. At first I was scared to try it so I made ceviche, and soon realized I like the taste of the parts that didn’t ‘cook’ better- so now I just have it as is. I don’t like buying sashimi at a restaurant, since that stuff is usually previously frozen. I just buy fresh fish from a good market. I also found specific kinds that I just don’t like the taste\texture of very much at all… Naturally salmon and tuna are my favorite. (And the least PC)

• i was practically obsessed with sushi at the time i started to transition to vegan and then raw. i kept raw salmon as the only animal product left in my diet. after about 6 months though, the salmon started to taste off to me and i ended up eating vegetarian rolls every time i went to a sushi restaurant with my friends. now i consider sushi night as one of my twice weekly cooked meal nights with friends, and get avocado rolls and cucumber rolls to dip in my own gluten free soy sauce. it’s strange that something i adored to no end (salmon sashimi and a california roll used to be my standard dinner) could taste so foreign to me.

• Our bodies have cravings for a reason, when we crave food it is our bodies way of telling us that we need a nutrient in the food we’re craving. I am doing a vegan diet, but I would eat a piece of raw milk cheese if I was really craving it, because I know that’s my bodies only way of telling me I need a certain nutrient. Eating to satisfy our cravings, and also to learn about them, I feel is the healthiest way to live. Besides, who cares if strict vegan’s look down on you for what you eat? That’s definitely their problem and not yours….

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I went through a few week period of heaven when I discovered there was a raw dairy pickup near me. I indulged on fresh grass-fed, unpasteurized cream, and was constantly thinking about the raw ice cream in my freezer that was so soft, fluffy, and unlike any pasteurized dairy ice cream, but I knew it wasn’t good for me, so I stopped getting it. To this day I still miss it, but I love how I feel without it and I love just eating my fruit and my romaine-cucumber-carrot wraps with a tad of sea salt, and I love my coconut ice cream. I love making little chocolate sauces with yacon syrup and cocoa, and chocolates with cocoa butter, date sugar,and cocoa. You see – these little things make up for the losses in some way, they help me stay on track.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I would eat meat if it was between starving and not starving.As I read the posts I saw words like mercury, PC. Hum, does this say something? This summer I was feeling weak, then I realized I had replaced fruit for sprouts. Now I am back to sprouting and having some soaked grain in the morning. Back to old/young self. Oh! With out meat.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I would agree with silent_advocate to an extent, our bodies do have cravings for a reason. However, it’s important to differentiate between cravings that come from a real physical need, and those that come from deep-seated psychological “addictions”, if you will. An excellent way to distinguish between these two cravings, I find, is a) waiting for at least a few weeks and seeing if you still want it, and b) eating something very similar but on your “allow” list and seeing if you still have the craving.

Some are no-brainers, like cravings for doritos=P