Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

RAW BOOKS

I would really like to pick up a few books to become more knowledgable about being RAW. If you have any suggestions as to what I should pick up that would be great! I already have a few cookbooks and am more into finding information regarding food combining, nutrients and benefits of particular foods, different visions of thinking raw, etc… Thank you and take care

I should also add I am currently reading David Wolfe’s book, The Sunfood Diet Success System, thanks to a wonderful new friend I found in my city, luv ya Jess!

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I might recommend going to your local library and browsing what they’ve got on stock and maybe having them procure something. That way you can browse them all, getting in a huge amount of info, then decide which is best for you. I personally only have Raw Gourmet, but I wouldn’t recomment it for a beginner (which I was when I bought it!) although it’s pretty good otherwise. I think others might be better, but I couldn’t name any.

• The 12 Steps to Raw Food by Victoria Boutenko is a really great book! It’s the first raw food book I read and it’s one of my favorites. I highly recommend it!

• i liked boutenko’s book, it was the first one i read also. i also loooove Raw Food Real World by sarma melngailis… a good mix of information, recipes, fabulous photos of food and the adorable sarma. (i totally have a crush on her)... i also would like to find some new books to read about raw foods!

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

The Live Food Factor by Susan Schenck is an excellent book, basically a compilation of her own studies reading and interviewing just about anything and anyone out there related to the raw food diet.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

The Raw Revolution Diet (can’t remember the authors) was my first raw book, and it was great! The book is based around losing weight and they sort of outline a plan to follow, and include some recipes, but they have tons of information on nutrition, vitamins – how each one benefits your body and what foods contain them, dispelling common misconceptions about the raw diet (i.e. the protein myth), etc. I haven’t tried any of the recipes, but I found all the information to be enlightening, so I recommend it for that aspect.

Kedamono – seeing your pic makes me miss my mohawk. I’ve been wearing mine to the side for months now because I’m too lazy to style.

• heyenglish – haha, i’ve been wearing my hawk to the side for work 5 days a week! and little old ladies always compliment me on it. i try to put it up on the weekends but sometimes i am totally too lazy. oh well. at least I know how punkrock i am secretly. LOL.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Raw Success by Matt Monarch is great, Victoria Boutenko’s Green for Life is all about Green Smoothies.

• I love Rawsome! By Brigitte Mars. It has a lot of information including a chapter called Nutrients and Source Foods.

• WOWBIG HUGS*thank you for all your responses..I will be sure to check them out!

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

Don’t forget about the fabulous RHIO…

Great website: http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/

Great book: Hooked on Raw

• The Natalia Rose books are phenomenol and also love CarolAlt;s books

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Carol Alt uses animal products in some recipes, so I steer clear of some of them. They have some good information, but not too scientific. I’d recommend Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Howell or Gabriel Cousens – any book.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

When i was beginning, the first book i bought was the Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. This helped simplify things for me. She also gives good transition foods – although, i just kinda skipped over that whole part :) But, i found her book very useful and helpful! I mostly just used the web for my info. And, as someone else stated, go to your library an dtry to borrow some other books. Sarma and Matt’s book is awesome too (Raw Food, Real World), but not ideal for beginners who don’t want to take an hour plus for their meals. But, the index is great and tells you what each item is and where you can get it! Check out Ebay for books too!