Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dehydrator and Wax Paper

CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Hey Everyone!

OK! So I just bought my very firt dehydrator,it’s a total cheapo Ronco 5 tray (convex only—no fan) but it only cost me $17! I’m hopeful it will work good enough to get me started and somthing to practice on.

Anyways, I was reading the manual (that was only 3 pages..) and it said you could lay down plastic wrap for the fruit roll up liquid, so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use wax paper? Just seems like the wax paper would be easier to work with for breads and such, any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have used wax paper. it is hard to re-use but give it a try. i have not done it in a ronco so i can’t speak to that. good luck!

• Wax paper does not work well. Things tend to stick to it.

I would use parchment paper.

Good Luck!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, parchment paper. They sell white and brown parchment paper. I’ve never used plastic.

I hope your dehydrator works well. A fan (on the side) is very helpful to dry food evenly… so, try putting it in a place that is ‘dry’ and where the air ‘moves’.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

For the wax paper, you have to use the natural brown stuff and brush some olive oil on there before putting your items down. (unless your items are already oily than no need to bother with brushing more). I always use natural wax paper and I haven’t had any problems. You only need it for wet items and once your items are formed you can remove the wax paper. Don’t use the white wax paper – items will stick to that (even with the olive oil).

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

another vote for parchment paper, but try to get the unbleached parchment paper. It’s brown.

queenfluff- I didn’t know that they made natural wax paper—I’ll keep an eye out for that because wax paper is good for stacking cookies & bars in the freezer... cheers

• CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Yeah…the wax paper did not work out at all! It fused itself to my tortillia chips—which were actually pretty yummy from what I could taste…

I’m a little scared to try parchment paper now, isn’t it practally the same thing as wax paper?

What about foil? Does foil work in a dehydrator?

Great tip on the olive oil! That will really help with “fragile” food like crepes.

Foil is a likely not a good idea… it doesn’t let the air “circulate or pass through. Even parchment paper allows for faster drying under the ffod… better than teflex sheets.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Parchment paper does not need “wax” to be non-stick. Occasionally you may get a recipe that is a bit troublesome in terms of stickiness, but I’ve used parchment paper for years & years with no big problems whatsoever. It works great!

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

get the “if you care” parchment paper off amazon…it’s a great price and a better product.

ClaireT

Hmmm, I’ve had a problem with parchment paper and banana crepes… they really do stick. But greenghost is right, it does not need ‘wax’ or olive oil. Although, I’ve never tried wax paper.

ClaireT
  • CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

I’m trying out foil with a bit of olive oil right now for some oatgroats I’m dying and it is working good for that—but I don’t know if liquid-ey things would come out well or not.

ClaireT
  • LindaLinda Raw Newbie

No better not to use wax paper in the dehydrator. For more information, you better check out that post. I explained little in-depth there.