Favorite Sprouts and where do you buy them?????

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I have not been sprouting enough and I need to do that. I understand it is VERY good for you. Has lots of nutrients and such and such. They say its cheaper to sprout too.

So, what sprouts do you eat and how do you sprout them??? I have a spouter system, tray type. I think I should get another one so I can sprout more. Also, where do you buy your sprouting seeds??? Is there a place online that sells them cheap? I know there is that sprouts people website, they are a little high,I think. I want to start sprouting more and add much more flavor to my salads and sandwiches.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I love the snow pea sprouts. And, I just use a sprout jar.

We buy our sprouts from Sprout Man We have success sprouting their seeds… (& get our monies worth).

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I buy some of my sprouting seeds from www.Johnnyseeds.comm I get the red clover from www.Territoialseed .com Price wise they are better than other suppliers, but they may not have what you want..Health food stores also have bulk where you can by some legumes, seeds, and grains for sprouting.

My favorite is brocc., red clover, and black eye pea. Haven’t tried snow pea but that may be added soon. I also like French lentils. They are much smaller than regular lentils and I buy them at my health food store. I have also just found a new garbanzo called Chara(?) I think. They too are smaller than a reg. garbanzo.

I use the jar system.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

My favorite are sunflower greens, I start from a seed with the hull in a jar (soak overnight) then transfer to a sheet tray with an inch of soil and cover for 3 days, then let them grow watering as needed. They make GREAT salads or a great addition to a salad. Also good in soups and smoothies. I buy the sunflower seeds with the hull at the health food store. I also sprout lentils, mung, alfalfa, clover, etc. in the jar method. I have an EasyGreen sprouter as well but I haven’t figure out where to put the darn thing, it takes up so much space and needs a bucket for drainage. The alfalfa seeds I bought at the health food store, and the rest I ordered online at HandyPantry.com. I want to try broccoli sprouts this week.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

I love me some lentils. I get Beanie’s Awesome Mix from the SproutPeople (www.sproutpeople.com – great website, service and product).

Here are the ingredients: Green, Marrowfat & Yellow Peas, Crimson, Eston, Green & Red Chief Lentils, Beige Garbanzos and Adzuki Beans.

This mix is so easy to sprout – great for busy people.

beany, you use Johnny’s Selected Seeds! We’ve been thinking of buying from them. But, I couldn’t tell how much is in a MINI. I mean, I don’t need THAT many seeds… unless they can store for a few years – can they?

I want to get some mini eggplants, kale, and other seeds for indoor-type planting through the winter. Then, grow more outdoors next year.

german8, Johnny’s catalog will tell how much a mini and a pkt will sow. Get Territorial Seed Company for just the length of time seeds will last. I like catalogs for instant information. If this will be your first garden remember, don’t go beyond your ability and time. Dont want burn out.smile

Thanks beany.

I’m thinking of just starting with 3 items. Cherry tomato, kale, and small eggplant. I was just going to do kale & eggplant, but after having fresh picked cherry tomatoes for lunch as fresh and as sweet as ever… we decided we want to grow them!

Thanks. I’ll check out Territriol’s Seed.

To make it fun, why not put a couple peppers in 3-5 gal.containers. They love hot feet and are easy to grow.

hehe We’ve tried 2 years in a row and haven’t had success growing peppers out on our patio… (not yet sure what we’re doing wrong).

Thats odd. What kind of soil do you put in the bucket? I use Whitneys potting soil. It will be good for a couple years. What kind of Fertilizer?Fertilize 2-3 times a season. Depending where you live. They don’t like cold nights. Below 65 F. they will suffer. Dont over water but dont forget to water.eeeeek we sure are off the topic!

My husband bought the soil and he used two different kinds. It must’ve been the temperature… oh well. We’ll try again next year.

Thanks, beany.